Menu

Pittsburgh weather in November

Eliz

My younger daughter will be visiting Pittsburgh with a group the middle of November for about a week.  Since we live in the south, it has just occurred to me that Pittsburgh just might be cold then.  I'm not sure she has heavy enough clothes to take with her.  Anyone who lives in the area, I would very much appreciate an idea of the weather in mid-November.  She'll need to layer clothes for sure.  Suggestions on what she should pack would be wonderful.

Probably snow. She'll need a winter coat, gloves, and hat. If she is doing more than car to hotel walking, she will probably want boots.

I'm in Buffalo, not Pittsburgh. We did spend the night in Pittsburgh on the way to Buffalo at the end of December when we moved (and went to IKEA there). The first year in Buffalo I survived till spring with just sneakers. I would not buy (snow) boots for just two weeks unless she's going to be doing a lot of outdoor stuff. I would however make sure she's got a second pair of shoes in case her first pair gets soaked by snow/rain/etc. Last winter in Buffalo I didn't pull my winter coat and gloves out of the closet at all, though last winter was unusually mild - the winter before that I did wear my winter coat and gloves a lot (but that winter was unusually snowy, with south Buffalo getting 6ft of snow in like one day - though I think I didn't pull out my gloves and winter coat until December - I'm on the north side of Buffalo and we got 2 inches in that crazy November storm). I wouldn't buy gloves for two weeks in November either unless she's going to be outside a lot and feels cold easily. To be clear, I did wear a full zip sweater hoodie from the men's department at Walmart last winter, usually without another sweater, but occasionally with another sweater under it if I was going to be outside longer. Same with winter coat - I usually don't wear a sweater under it because I'd end up all sweaty if I'm walking or shoveling snow.

According to this site, Buffalo is a tiny bit colder and gets about 33% more precipitation in November than Pittsburgh:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/pittsburgh/pennsylvania/united-states/uspa3601

Of course, what clothes I'd send with her would also depend on whether it'd be possible at all for her to buy more if she happened to get stuck in the worst November storm of the century. I'd also keep an eye on the forecast just before sending her and make decisions then. I just wouldn't buy (snow)boots and gloves now unless you think they'd come in handy in the future again.

ETA: I don't like the cold.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Thank you all very much!  She has gloves but no boots.  I'm thinking most of their time will be spent indoors attending the conference, but they will have time for sightseeing and such.  My older daughter has a coat with a  removable liner.  If it fits my younger DD, she'll take that with her.  It also has a hood.  She gets cold easily - living where we do our winters are mild with only the occasional really cold snap.  So taking the coat with a liner & hood, gloves, a couple of pairs of outdoor kind of shoes along with sweaters, she should be okay.  What about slacks or jeans for causal wear? Should I get her thermal underwear of some kind?  I don't think she could get to an affordable store easily to pick up clothes if the weather got significantly colder while she's there.  I want her to have what she's need to be comfortable and have fun without spending a lot on clothes she won't wear very often.   She's supposed to wear business casual clothes to the conference itself.  We don't know yet, but we're hoping the group will stay at the hotel hosting the conference.  That would make life easier for much of the trip anyway.

Jeans are so variable in thickness, especially women's jeans, that it's hard to tell. What if she were to buy some leggings? She could wear those under her pants when going outside, and wear them under a short dress or w/e back home.

I suspect that the group is more likely to go sightseeing on days the weather is nicer, so I wouldn't pack for the worst case scenario. It's one week, almost entirely in a hotel, with no need to go sightseeing in a blizzard (if a blizzard were to occur). I'd check the forecast a few days before leaving, but she'll be fine.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

It could be snow storming. It could be rain/wet/cold. You could luck into a warm spell (i.e.. 60s and sunny).

Prepare for snow/ice/wet/slush (temp as low as 20s, more likely 30s) to cool/pretty (60s and sunny). 

(I live 80 miles south of Pittsburgh, and we used to travel to Pittsburgh every week for years.)

For SURE bring shoes that can handle wet/slush/cold. And plenty of layers. And a wet-proof jacket. 

• Like 2