Menu

Vocabulary/spelling

Son is in Spelling Workout G. He is a great speller, so he is getting everything correct. BUT, he does not know what the words mean. I am surprised by this. Perhaps I need to switch to a vocabulary program? I hate to ditch any workbook. But I do have a Vocabulary from Classical Roots for 7th grade on the shelf that I never used with oldest. For the record, 12 yr old did specifically request Spelling Workout.

Also, is there a good computer game that might do the job better? Or perhaps just up the free reading?

Son is in Spelling Workout G. He is a great speller, so he is getting everything correct. BUT, he does not know what the words mean. I am surprised by this. Perhaps I need to switch to a vocabulary program? I hate to ditch any workbook. But I do have a Vocabulary from Classical Roots for 7th grade on the shelf that I never used with oldest. For the record, 12 yr old did specifically request Spelling Workout.

Also, is there a good computer game that might do the job better? Or perhaps just up the free reading?

I have a British spelling curriculum on my shelf where the first exercise in each lesson is to write a short definition for each word (by looking it up in a dictionary) or writing a "Who am I?" question (which would also involve a dictionary if needed). The "Who am I?" idea sounds fun (I haven't inflicted this book on my 9yo yet, so I don't know that he'll share my opinion.

If the spelling words are weird or uncommon I understand wanting different words. But rolling the two together isn't uncommon.

I haven't looked at SWO in a long time, so my question might be off. :-) But instead of adding something for vocabulary, couldn't you use the words in his spelling lists? Alphabetize them, look them up in the dictionary, divide them into syllables, write their etymologies, find and use antonyms or synonyms, use them in sentences (and then all the words in each lesson in stories).

I didn't mean I wanted to add vocabulary words. SWO is supposed to be a vocabulary program at this point. But, he does not understand at least half the words. And they are simple words like appraise and affront. So I was wondering if it would be best to just continue working on this, spending maybe two weeks on each lesson instead of just one, or to switch to a program more devoted to vocabulary.

If he's a good speller who is struggling with vocabulary, it would be a better use of time to switch to a specialized vocabulary program and then use those words as his spelling list. It would be way more efficient than trying to add vocabulary content to a spelling program. Luckily, vocabulary workbooks aren't that big of an investment. You can also start collecting words that you see him misspelling and use those as a custom spelling list whenever you collect 10-15 words.

How are you determining his lack of understanding?  Are you quizzing him verbally?  Asking him to write a definition?  Letting him use the word in a sentence?  Letting him see the word in context then asking him if he knows the meaning?

I ask because frequently DH cannot give the kids a definition for a word but he does usually understand the meaning.  He just cannot define it.  DD is the same. She has low word retrieval processing issues so while she can FEEL the meaning of the word right away, and given time to process she can use it in a sentence, she cannot write or speak a definition easily.  

Are these words that your son would have seen in his reading?  If he has been exposed to these words in context and he was unable to determine at least an approximate meaning for the word based on context that would be concerning to me.  If he is being asked to define words seen in isolation that he has never had to look up definitions for or see in context of a written passage, that would be less concerning to me.  That would make me think he just needs more exposure to vocabulary through reading and writing, and if you want to stretch him then incorporate a vocabulary program as you are asking above.  In other words, if your son is reading a lot he should be able to glean the meaning of a whole host of words from the context in which they are presented but seen in isolation and asked to define a word he may not be able to say or write a definition for the word without looking it up.  If you take the spelling words and write them in a sentence can he determine an approximate meaning from that?

I noticed the same problem with DD a couple of weeks ago.  I have no "program" answer for you, because what I've been doing is going through the spelling list with her at the beginning of the week to find out what words she doesn't know, and then making up vocab worksheets/activities for her during the week.  And it is a lot of work, but she also needs the spelling practice.  If your son is not finding the spelling difficult, then I'd just switch over to a vocabulary program, and not do spelling, or make custom spelling lists of words he is having problems with.  Evan-Moor has a vocabulary book called Word-A-Day (I think).  I was using it for DD until I realized that spelling a word you don't know the meaning of is pretty useless, so I dropped it and started making my own vocabulary exercises with the spelling words.  I don't know what grade levels the Evan Moor program is available in, though.