Menu

Getting in shape for the Muddy Muggle

lamppost

I have about 10 months to get in the best shape of my life so I can do the Muddy Muggle. I know there'll be other chubby nerds trying to do it and the rules say you don't have to complete all the obstacles, there are alternatives available, yada yada, but I really want to complete as much of the course as possible without injuring myself. I'm pushing 40 and my hips haven't been the same since I had kids. Core is naturally quite weak and I build muscle/strength more slowly than average. Anybody have ideas for a training plan that gradually increases intensity? What can I do at home to prepare for obstacles like a wall climb? I have experience doing things like 30-Day Shred and 21-Day Fix at home, but not sure what to follow that up with once it becomes too easy.

What about T-Tapp?  It's isometric, so the stronger you get the harder you work against yourself, so it works for chronically out of shape or for chronically IN shape.  It's got a pretty huge focus on core, and should help stabilize the hips.

You'll probably want to add in running, clambering, whatever else as well, but the T-Tapp should help with initial core (and overall) strengthening to give you a great basis to start from.

Here's the "Try some moves" page: https://www.t-tapp.com/try/

• Like 1

What about T-Tapp?  It's isometric, so the stronger you get the harder you work against yourself, so it works for chronically out of shape or for chronically IN shape.  It's got a pretty huge focus on core, and should help stabilize the hips.

You'll probably want to add in running, clambering, whatever else as well, but the T-Tapp should help with initial core (and overall) strengthening to give you a great basis to start from.

Here's the "Try some moves" page: https://www.t-tapp.com/try/

one other thing to know about an unstable pelvis . . .  low adrenal function can cause this.  it affects five different muscles groups - all tied into the pelvis.  just something to consider - if they are low, improving function will improve things. - and make your exercise more effective.

• Like 1

one other thing to know about an unstable pelvis . . .  low adrenal function can cause this.  it affects five different muscles groups - all tied into the pelvis.  just something to consider - if they are low, improving function will improve things. - and make your exercise more effective.

Huh, I have never heard that. I'm Googling how to improve adrenal function, but do you have any favorite pointers?

Huh, I have never heard that. I'm Googling how to improve adrenal function, but do you have any favorite pointers?

stop the thyroid madness has some good tips on their site.

however - what you do depends upon if your cortisol is low or high - and the only way to know for sure is a 24 hour cortisol saliva test.  (NOT the blood test your dr would run.)  some drs will do it, or you can self-order.

I was surprised to read about it - but I changed from synthetic thyroid rx to NDT - and an issue related to those muscles, and unstable pelvis significantly improved.  it was weird. . . .

eta: supposedly adaptogens work either way.  there are a number of different ones, and formulae - and it's finding which one works for you.  

Edited by gardenmom5