Menu

P.E. Required? And how do you count it?

I've tried searching in past threads, but can't as PE shows as not enough letters. So forgive me if this has been posted already or recently...

Is PE required for high school graduation? We are in California. I know our public HS requires 2 years. Do we need 2 years then?

So if YES - what constitutes PE? How do we denote it?

Any advice on requirements and how to list this on a transcript?

Thanks!!

Edited by mirabillis

If you file a Private School Affidavit my understanding is that you can create your own graduation requirements. It is not a UC admissions requirement (in case UC is your son's top pick).

In our transcript (for private schools), I gave DS one credit for PE (mix of various things he's done from 9th to 12th, including swimming, badminton, gym) and am not counting it in the GPA.

I can't help with California requirements but can tell you what we did. In our state, we don't have any specific requirements for graduation, so I predicate decisions on what to include by 1) what I want my student to experience and 2) entrance requirements at colleges where she may want to apply. Most of the schools she's considering don't require PE for entrance, but I think I have seen some that do, so we included it.

My daughter has been doing aikido for about 9 years several times a week, and I decided I wanted to keep that separate as an extracurricular because it shows long-term commitment, passion, and leadership (she assists with new students). For PE, I simply kept track of the hours she spent over the school year trying out or doing various physical activities with an emphasis on lifelong skills, with the goal of 65-70 hours for a half credit, 120 or more for a full one (Carnegie unit). She hit a bit less than 100 hours, so I recorded a half credit for that year. Her activities were:  camping and hiking trips with Girl Scouts (camping included outdoor challenge courses, canoeing, archery, hiking, outdoor cooking, learning to pitch a tent, make camp, etc), trying a kickboxing class for a few weeks, trying out some workout dvds, learning to ice-skate and going several times with friends, trying jogging several times, and swimming. These were all things she was doing anyway rather than a class I designed.

• Like 1

We live in WA, and we don't have to follow public school graduation requirements.  However, I decided that I wanted to so that I could say that our requirements met or exceeded those of the local (well regarded) district.

For PE, my son needed 2 credits.  He did health for 0.5 credits, he had 0.5 credits in "outdoor experience" credit from a private high school he attended for a year, and I gave him 1 credit for sailing--he had taken several classes and attended an overnight sailing camp.  To come up with the credit, I simply added up the hours for those activities.

• Like 1

I counted their main sports as extracurriculars, but all other physical activities went under P.E.  I counted hours, a minimum of 75 for .5 credit and 150 for 1 credit.  One of my dc was extremely active and earned a full credit of P.E. per year, in addition to a sport.  Another earned a half credit per year, plus a sport.  Health was a separate .5 credit course. 

My P.E. course descriptions emphasized the goal of life-long fitness through participation in activities that could be enjoyed into adulthood.  Activities that I counted toward P.E. included swimming, gymnastics, rock climbing, dancing, running, hurdling, weight training, P90, yoga, bicycling, walking, calisthenics, Pilates, and cardio-kickboxing.