Menu

Bakers- cookie stamps??

mamiof5

So...found this cute cookie stamps and decided to give it a try. As usual, looks easier than it actually is. To begin with, I didn't realize I couldn't use a regular cookie dough mix for this. I did end up finding a recipe, and after lots of mishaps (not cooling the dough enough, then ended up freezing it by accident...it was quite an ordeal). End result was miraculously ok 🙌🙌🙌.

I love rubber-stamping, so cookie stamping is very appealing. But baking doesn't come easy to me 😮.

So, bakers...would you mind sharing dough recipes, tips etc?? Has anyone tried cookie stamps?

Edited by mamiof5

"Cookie stamp" like a cookie mold?  Is it carved wood?

There are a couple of cookies that are traditionally 'stamped' that come to mind: Springerle and Speculaas.  I am pretty sure King Arthur has recipes and supplies for both.  My inlaws make Springerles every year during the winter holiday, it is a family tradition. They aren't to my taste so I haven't made them.  I would make Speculaas if I had a mold.

• Like 1

I have some clay cookie stamps - one is a leaf pattern and the other is a daisy. Most of the time they are too much hassle but I have had excellent results using a snicker doodle recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10687/mrs-siggs-snickerdoodles/

The dough has to be firm to use the stamp so after mixing everything together, I made it into logs the same diameter as my stamps and wrapped in plastic. An hour in the fridge and I had a firm dough. Sliced it into 1/2inch thick disks, pressed the stamp into one flat side and then baked.

I think a regular sugar cookie dough might work as well - haven't tried it with the stamps as we always use cookie cutters on those. Or other stiff dough like gingerbread.

I am not crazy about the stamps because cleaning all the dough and flour out of them afterwards is a hassle - but the cookies look pretty!

• Like 2

"Cookie stamp" like a cookie mold? Is it carved wood?

There are a couple of cookies that are traditionally 'stamped' that come to mind: Springerle and Speculaas. I am pretty sure King Arthur has recipes and supplies for both. My inlaws make Springerles every year during the winter holiday, it is a family tradition. They aren't to my taste so I haven't made them. I would make Speculaas if I had a mold.

The stamps I found are plastic, with the image carved on it. It has a wooden handle.

I'll check the King Arthur's website and the options you mentioned. Thanks!!

I have some clay cookie stamps - one is a leaf pattern and the other is a daisy. Most of the time they are too much hassle but I have had excellent results using a snicker doodle recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10687/mrs-siggs-snickerdoodles/

The dough has to be firm to use the stamp so after mixing everything together, I made it into logs the same diameter as my stamps and wrapped in plastic. An hour in the fridge and I had a firm dough. Sliced it into 1/2inch thick disks, pressed the stamp into one flat side and then baked.

I think a regular sugar cookie dough might work as well - haven't tried it with the stamps as we always use cookie cutters on those. Or other stiff dough like gingerbread.

I am not crazy about the stamps because cleaning all the dough and flour out of them afterwards is a hassle - but the cookies look pretty!

I so need to try that recipe!! Have never had snickerdoodles, but they sound yummy. Good idea with the log too... should also try that :-)

I found out last night that regular sugar cookie dough doesn't work for this, so I had to try a total new recipe (for me). Ended being somewhat of a shortbread cookie (with modifications, as I had to substitute an ingredient

Here are some different recipes: http://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?p=Q&lbc=kingarthurflour&uid=862724756&ts=custom&w=springerle%20cookie%20recipe&isort=score&method=and&af=type%3arecipes&sli_from_jump=yes

If this is what you're talking about, I've always wanted to buy the stamps from King Arthur. They're so pretty!

Those are beautiful!!! A lot of detail in those stamps. The set I used today is very basic :)

It is more like a cookie cutter that leaves some detail and less of a cookie mold?  Because for those you just need straight up cut out sugar cookie dough. It has very little leavening, I usually leave it out entirely.  That helps keep the design. You don't want to use 100% butter in the recipe, maybe half butter and half shortening, and you want to cut them out while they are cold, and then put them on their cookie sheets in the freezer for about 5-10 mins before baking or they won't keep their shape. They will just spread all over the pan into blobs.

Martha Stewart has a good cut out sugar cookie recipe, but you can find many of them. But it's all about keeping them cold before they bake to keep the edges and design crisp.

For me, the issue is using the shortening, which doesn't taste good to me, versus keeping the design.  Butter melts at a much lower point and you lose your design.  Those super sharp designed cookies you see in the bakeries are not made with butter.

With snickerdoodles, I might experiment with reducing or removing the leavening. At least the ones I make are slightly puffy or a little bit airy...and that will get rid of the design. You want a nice flat cookie that will change shape as little as possible when baked.