Menu

probably a weird post

I had a light bulb moment with a concept in math today.  I mean me and what I am working on.  Not something I'm doing with my kid(s).  I don't want to say what because I hate admitting I don't understand something.  But when I had that moment it was so amazing.  It's just one of those things where it never made sense to me.  I couldn't "see" it no matter how hard I tried.  But I saw it.  I really...SAW it. 

And so that gave me hope that I can accomplish my goals. 

Probably this is corny, but maybe someone else out there will understand.

• Like 24

Congrats to you!

One year I was working with DD on astronomy.  There was a topic I could get the details of, repeat the details, teach the details, but the big picture concept just made no sense to me at all.  We started on this in September, and over winter break I finally "got it".  I was so happy!  I tried to explain to DH that I finally "got" this thing we had been talking about and working on for months.  He was happy for me but had that slightly confused look on his face.  

It's okay... I totally understand!  

:party:

• Like 2

This has happened a lot as I'm relearning biology to teach it to my son. Things that were Just So Hard to understand when I was in school learning it are all coming together and making sense now. It's like I went from looking at it down a dark, narrow tunnel to looking at it out in a bright wide-open field. I see it all now.

• Like 2

I know! I totally get it. I wish there was a way to impart a lightbulb to my kiddos because I've had so many while teaching them that I missed when I was a kid. But at least in my case it's not teachable, it seems to just be something that comes with having to teach the material with a more mature brain. I've been able to instill a few of them in the kids just by virtue of more clear instruction than I had, but the vast majority just seem to be me-specific.

I love watching things click and set with them when it happens too, but sometimes I wonder whether they're the main learner here or it's really me - so many days I think I come away with more than they do!

I had a light bulb moment with a concept in math today.  I mean me and what I am working on.  Not something I'm doing with my kid(s).  I don't want to say what because I hate admitting I don't understand something.  But when I had that moment it was so amazing.  It's just one of those things where it never made sense to me.  I couldn't "see" it no matter how hard I tried.  But I saw it.  I really...SAW it. 

And so that gave me hope that I can accomplish my goals. 

Probably this is corny, but maybe someone else out there will understand.

:hurray:

I'm reading The Gene: An Intimate History.  If you wouldn't mind sending that light bulb my way, I think I could really use it for chemistry. :glare:

• Like 2