Menu

Hit me with your favorite recipes that use fresh apples!

madteaparty

I think we are going apple picking with three different families plus DD's K classâ¤ï¸.

I used to have one of those ye olde American churchy cookbooks that had the best fresh apple cake recipe but I lost it in one of my many moves.

I will make chunky applesauce to freeze for oatmeal.'I do have the Martha Stewart muffin recipe. Apple pie obv.

What else?

The mom apple cake seems similar to my long lost recipe, except apples were grated there instead of cubed like in the photo. I'm also trying to envision how the exposed apple bits don't get dry and flaky in this one, but there;s only one way to find out. Thanks!!

The mom apple cake seems similar to my long lost recipe, except apples were grated there instead of cubed like in the photo. I'm also trying to envision how the exposed apple bits don't get dry and flaky in this one, but there;s only one way to find out. Thanks!!

They don't get dry at all. They get chewier than an apple in a pie, but they're still moist apple chunks. (Gah, I hate the m word!) Maybe do two loaf cakes, one grated and one chopped?

I like to butter 6-8 layers of phyllo pastry then mound on apples mixed with cinnamon, sugar, ginger, cloves, and lemon juice. You can cut the phyllo in half or into another shape if you want. Wrap the edges of the phyllo up around the apples- they don't have to be entirely covered. Bake till golden.

• Like 2

My daughter bakes German Apple Cake once or twice a year. It's fantastic! I love how the apple is sliced thin and beautifully layered. 

I do an apple butter every fall in the crock pot.

I have a platter of Granny Smiths on the table... Tomorrow I'm making apple heads. :) I do a collection, put them on long sticks, and "plant" them by the entryway. By Halloween they're gnarled shrunken heads. 

http://www.marthastewart.com/268080/shrunken-apple-heads

• Like 1

I love this sour cream apple pie. I cut the sugar way down so you can add more if you like your pie sweeter. I've also used a lot of different dairy products in place of the sour cream, depending on what I had available.

Unbaked pie crust in an 8" plate

3 cups chopped apples

2 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup sugar, or to taste

1/4 tsp salt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 cup sour cream

1 egg

1/2 tablespoon vanilla

1.5 tablespoons butter

2.5 tablespoons sugar

2.5 tablespoons flour

1 tsp cinnamon

Combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and salt and dump into the pie crust. Combine the sour cream, egg, and vanilla and spread over the apples. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then at 350 for 25 minutes. Combine the rest of the ingredients into a crumb topping, sprinkle over the top, and return to the oven to bake at 400 for 10 minutes.

And this is my favorite apple cake.

Apple Cake

1 lb apples, chopped

3 T lemon juice

1/2 c sugar, divided

1.5 c flour, white or wheat or a mix

1/2 T baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

2 eggs

3 oz, 85 grams, or 6 T melted butter

1-2 T milk if needed

Heat a baking stone in the lower third of the oven to 350. Combine the apples, juice, and 1/4 c of the sugar and set aside. Combine the dry ingredients (including the rest of the sugar) in a large bowl, then add the eggs and oil to make a very stiff batter. Add a bit of milk if you must. Add the apple mixture and stir. Smooth into a greased 8x8 inch dish and bake for about 1 hour.

Here is a 2014 version:

Optimized Apple Crisp

Peel and core and slice thinly 10 small apples. I used Gala and Pink Lady varieties. Toss with 2 tsp. lemon juice so they don't brown.

Mix:
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 generous pinches ground ginger

Cut in and mix thoroughly with your hands:
1 stick of unsalted butter

Thoroughly butter a 9 X 13 inch metal baking pan

Pour in the apple slices
Top with the mixture, covering it completely
Bake for 30 minutes at 375, checking to see whether the apples are soft before taking it out

• Like 1

Snickers Apple Salad

• Cut up as many apples as will fit in your bowl, coat them in coolwhip (use the fat free kind to save yourself calories), and mix in crushed up, finely diced, or food-processed snickers bars.  We like to use leftover halloween candy.  Take it to dinner parties and have your friends complain you're trying to make them fat, then forgive you when you tell them it was fat-free cool whip.

Ham and Cheese sandwich wraps stuffed with Apples

• It's a lunch or a snack and is loved even by those who hate apples, at least in our family.

Waldorf Salad  (not an authentic Waldorf Hotel Style, but the "light" recipe from Weight Watchers, circa 1985 or so)

• Dice an apple and a stalk of celery into bit size pieces, combine with 2 T raisins.  In a separate bowl, mix dressing:  1 pkg sugar-free sweetener, 2 T peanut butter, and 4 oz nonfat plain yogurt (if you're my mom and hate chemicals, use a spoonful of honey instead).  When blended, stir in apples and raisins and serve for lunch. 
  • Bonus groaning points if you introduce this like my mother did on the same day your kids discover that the kids down the street with the fun trampoline in their backyard get to eat peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches on wonder bread with the crusts cut off, pringles, kool-aid, and slice and bake cookies for lunch, nary a real fruit or vegetable in sight.  Bless her heart, I'm grateful now, but I think on that day I really did hate her a little bit.