Menu

Writing With Ease 2

Smiles

Sorry I have another question! My ds is 9 (July) and he did WWE2 last year we stopped at week 28. The reason I stopped is because he was having a hard time dictating those sentences! Some are pretty long. I have tried to pick back up on week 28 but the struggle is still there. He does dictation in spelling (AAS3) and we are also doing the dictation in FLL3. We both really like FLL3, for some reason he just loves having his own book and all that! Anyways, the only thing he struggles with is the dictation, he can do narration without much problem. He has always been good at telling the story back sometimes too much of the story but he has even got better at that. So I'm wondering if I should go on or if I should look into something else? I'm not sure what I should do. Thank you all for your time!

Have you watched SWB's Dictation with Dan video? If not, be sure to, you can find it here:

https://welltrainedmind.com/a/dictation-with-dan-aged-13-part-1-an-actual-session-that-you-can-watch/

Dictation is a useful training for learning to hold information in your brain as you write it down, helpful when writing and taking notes. It is tricky to learn, and it is OK if you have to break it down a lot more than the books specify.

If you want to add variety, you could occasionally have him dictate to you, or make a worksheet where he just had to fill in blanks as you dictate.

In the end, though, nothing bad will happen if you skip dictation, so don't let it make your days miserable!

• Like 2

I was going to suggest studied dictation as well. It has been a big help to my son, who does well with other parts of our program similar to WWE, but struggles with dictation. I give him a smaller portion of the dictation, and I have him study that portion before hand very intently for a few minutes. Then we proceed with the exercise. Much better results. 

• 4 weeks later...

SWB says you can guide them through the dictation and correct them as they make the mistake. This seems to relieve a lot of stress. My dd loves wwe 2 and has developed a love of reading because of it. She wants to read each book mentioned in WWE. But I skip the narration and dictation in FLL, as we get more than enough in WWE. I mainly use FLL for grammar.