Menu

Barton & Dyslexia - need opinions

We are in the beginning of Level 7 and while DS10 is able to read the passages fairly easily, he still forgets some of the spelling rules and therefore his spelling isn't great. We stepped away from Barton during the summer so we've been away from it for at least 3-4 months. When I gave him the Book 6 post test to see what he remembered he missed so many spelling words I was tempted to go back through all of 5 and 6 again. But then I think, it's hard for ME to remember all the spelling rules and really as long as he's reading, does it really matter? Is spelling THAT important? We both HATE Barton and I really just want to be done with it but will go back and review the rules again if need be. Thoughts?

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   I know this can be incredibly frustrating.  BTDT.

FWIW, the goal in Barton isn't to rote memorize the rules long term, but to learn them, internalize them and be able to apply them organically, even if at some point they can no longer quote them.  If he never reached the point where he internalized the rules and can apply them organically, if he is still at the point where he has to think about and remember the rules before applying them, then he is going to need more review and application.  Some kids are going to internalize those rules very quickly.  Others are going to need more time, more review, more application, and more scaffolding before they stick in a long term meaningful way.  

I had this issue with DD.  When we hit Level 4 we ended up quitting half way through and starting over at the beginning of Level 4 again (twice).  Finally, I realized I had moved too quickly and had not focused on that internalization.  If she could mimic the rule back and mostly get things right in the lessons I called it good.  What she needed was things broken down, the lessons approached in smaller pieces over a longer period of time, and with built in review after every few lessons so she could internalize the rules for decoding/spelling.  That way she was just spelling, without having to think through the rules every single time (sort of like eventually developing the muscle and procedural memory for driving a car without having to think about where the gear shift is or the brake pedal or checking your mirrors often).  

What also helped tremendously was incorporating the Spelling Success card games and the Extra Practice pages and doing some fun writing exercises based on the Barton rules we were trying to learn.  She needed that extra practice in a more engaging way.

Now what I do for each level is I read through the TM and see where there are logical breaking points.  I schedule in 3-5 days per lesson, doing shorter lessons (20-30 minutes tops), then a card game, some short interest led writing with the words, and every few lessons a review of all the spelling rules covered so far in that level.

Also, I try never to take more than 3 weeks away from Barton.  Instead of lessons, if we need a break, I pull out the Spelling Success card games even from previous levels and we periodically play a game to keep things fresh in her head (and mine, too).  I also add in an extra practice page.  Takes very little time but retention is much better.  And I also review for myself, and have started using the tutor pages to help me to remember things better.  I found that when I wasn't really solid on the rules, then DD wasn't either.

I am sending you lots of sympathy vibes.  Reading/spelling remediation for a dyslexic can be incredibly hard.  It IS hard.  Hard on their brains.  This process is not intuitive or easy.  That's why they need such intense remediation in the first place.  It takes tremendous effort and sometimes waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more review and practice for things to stick than for an NT kid.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

If you are both burned out on Barton then starting up again can be so demoralizing, especially if you find that a lot of things did not really stick.  Maybe try the following:

1.  Acknowledge that a 3-4 month break means you are going to have to review.  Even public schools do this for primary subjects every year because kids forget stuff over the summer.  With a dyslexic that is almost certainly going to be even more true.

2.  Keep the review each day short.  If you both know it is only going to be 20 minutes tops, that might help some with motivation.

3.  Give the post test for Level 4, then Level 5, a little bit each day to see where gaps are prior to Level 6 and 7.

4.  If you can afford them and don't have them yet, get the Spelling Success card games for Barton, and if you haven't already, read the TM and join the tutor on-line support group for other game suggestions.  

5.  Start by going back to whichever level he has the most gaps, even if it is going back to Level 4, and review the reading and spelling rules for each lesson to make sure to fill in those gaps.  Don't do the whole lesson.  Just run through the rules, do a few application exercises and play some games (there are suggestions in the TM for review as well).  Keep it SHORT.

6.  Only do Barton 4 days a week for now, while you both get back up to speed, but definitely do it 4 days a week, preferably at the same time each day, and do it when you are both rested, won't be interrupted, and can focus more.

7.  Set some realistic goals overall and for each week and set up some sort of reward system for BOTH of you when you achieve your goals.  Motivation is going to be huge.  Without it this whole process may be an exercise in futility.

8.  Your child is only 10.  Level 9 and 10 are really for High School.  Some people choose not to even do those levels (although I see tremendous value in continuing, not everyone can or does).  That means you really only have a level and a half to go before finishing the meat of the program.  Keep in mind that if you can help him solidify everything already covered then the remainder of Level 7 and then Level 8 should go much more smoothly and you have time.  You don't need to rush.  Your child is young.  My oldest didn't even start Barton until she was 11.  Take that time.  Do the review.  Keep things in manageable short chunks for now.

Best wishes.  

ETA:  And I agree with up thread, post the spelling rules.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

We are in the beginning of Level 7 and while DS10 is able to read the passages fairly easily, he still forgets some of the spelling rules and therefore his spelling isn't great. We stepped away from Barton during the summer so we've been away from it for at least 3-4 months. When I gave him the Book 6 post test to see what he remembered he missed so many spelling words I was tempted to go back through all of 5 and 6 again. But then I think, it's hard for ME to remember all the spelling rules and really as long as he's reading, does it really matter? Is spelling THAT important? We both HATE Barton and I really just want to be done with it but will go back and review the rules again if need be. Thoughts?

By the way, are you talking about sight words or the spelling process learned within the program lessons? I assumed you meant the program rules, not the sight words, but maybe I misunderstood you. How does he do with the sight words? Edited by OneStepAtATime