Menu

Paint for kids bathroom

Janeway

The bathroom between the kids rooms has white cabinets and shelves. The countertop is a black marble. The sink is one of those that looks like a glass bowl sitting on the counter.

Currently, it is a light aqua color. It makes me think of a pool. My husband is thinking we should adult it up and put a tan color in it. I kind of like the aqua and think it is clearly a kids bathroom so the aqua is fine. But I am also fine with change in color. But I am not sure a change to a tan color would go ok with the white cabinets and such.

Anyone have opinions or suggestions?

Edited to add...it is an ordinary sized bathroom, not a big one.

Edited by Janeway

Are you trying to sell your house? Why would it need to be "adult"? I've seen aqua in adult bathrooms. :)

We are thinking we will sell in the spring. And my husband says no more aqua. He looks at me like I am making a joke when I tell him I like the aqua. 

Here is a picture of the sink. It is messy because husband has the paint stuff everywhere. And the cabinet does not look so white, but it is a pure white. There is just a shadow cast over it in this picture.

post-88733-0-28479600-1475106199_thumb.jpeg

I just went to Pinterest, and searched on "bathroom" "aqua".  There are two popular themes.  One is to pair the aqua with gray.  The other is to pair it with tan/brown.  Both look very nice.  If you go with the tan, you'll need to be very careful to get the right tan.  Some tans have pink undertones, others are warmer.  I think you'd want a warmer one.  On the other hand, since you have the black countertop, having gray walls would look very nice.  I suggest you do as I did, pull up the Pinterest samples, and you and your dh scroll through to find something you agree on.

• Like 1

I painted my downstairs bath a latte color and it was beautiful with white trim.  Think of it like whipping cream on a latte. LOL  White cabinets would likely look similar.

My counter top was black marble (faux)

The sink and commode are white.

The floor was white tile with black corners.

Crown molding and trim were white.

My accent pieces were a blue/green glass very similar to your sink. I had  black and white images of Paris landmarks, that were printed directly on to clear glass.  A glass shelf, and glass soap dispenser.

My hand towels were very dark, dark green like the color of a zucchini. Ti worked well to tie in the green glass and yet keep the green toned down at the same time. 

Let me know if these links work or not. 

The room is no longer that same combination or I would snap a pix for you. But here is what it looks like now.  You can see a similar color of your glass bowl in the glass shelf. The blue and taupe were picked to complement the painting.(the taupe is similar to the latte color it used to be). I feel that the white crown molding and white porcelain items play very nice with the latte and blue.  The black seems to fade into the back ground and doesn't stand out to much. I hate the counter top, but was already there when we bought the house. The walls are a single flat color; the lighting makes all the swirls on the walls. LOL

Just because the image is maybe confusing...The second pix has a photo of a mirror that is on the diagonal, there is a reflection of the image from the other wall in it.  Otherwise it just looks like very odd art. LOL

Corner with glass shelf

Opposite corner with white trim and blue wall

Painting that I picked the current colors from.

Edited by Tap

Looking at your counter top, I would go with gray if I HAD to pick a neutral color. I hate tan.

In choosing the color, I would look for grays that are misty sky tones.

My current bathroom is painted aqua, with black and white tiles on the floor and walls, a black cabinet, and a white sink.

My new bathroom (after we move) will be a very pale gray-blue-green, with white wall tiles, dark gray floor tiles, and a gray speckled marble counter, and a white sink. And we will have aqua towels.  :001_smile:

• Like 1