Menu

Repairing Dent in Stainless Steel fridge door

Shred Betty

I'm seeing stuff online about dry ice cooling the metal to bring it back to shape.

Or

Heating it with a blow dryer then cooling it with cold carbon dioxide from a compressed air can to bring it back to shape.

Have you ever attempted this yourself, and if so do you have advice? It's a small but very very visible dent in a very pricey appliance door. Full replacement will cost $300 or so.

Is there a downside to trying these DIY fixes, any reason why I should be wary of just giving it a try, is there any chance I could make it any worse?

Thanks!

-GG

• Like 1

One other option:  you might call one of those windshield replacement/car dent repair companies that comes to your house and see what they have to say.  Maybe they could do it for $50.  I had very good success with that on a car...and they were really great, too, in telling me that they could NOT do one of the dents because it was on a part of the car that had curvy metal (it needs to be on a plane for best effect).  

Sorry.  :0( about your fridge.

One other option: you might call one of those windshield replacement/car dent repair companies that comes to your house and see what they have to say. Maybe they could do it for $50. I had very good success with that on a car...and they were really great, too, in telling me that they could NOT do one of the dents because it was on a part of the car that had curvy metal (it needs to be on a plane for best effect).

Sorry. :0( about your fridge.

I've spent a few hours calling around to dent repair places. No luck, they keep laughing (I imagine) when I say I need it for a fridge not a car. One place said as it's a fridge door not a car body they can get behind and pop it out from behind, it doesn't make sense. But I'll keep trying!

Good idea anyhow :)

• Like 1

I've spent a few hours calling around to dent repair places. No luck, they keep laughing (I imagine) when I say I need it for a fridge not a car. One place said as it's a fridge door not a car body they can get behind and pop it out from behind, it doesn't make sense. But I'll keep trying!

Good idea anyhow :)

Well, I'm sorry I sent you on a goose chase.  :0(  I hope you find a good solution though.  

I hate dents and scratches.  I know other people don't mind them...but i do. 

Well, I'm sorry I sent you on a goose chase. :0( I hope you find a good solution though.

I hate dents and scratches. I know other people don't mind them...but i do.

Oh no you didn't at all!! Lol my appliance repair tech also had the same suggestion, call a "pdr" auto dent repair guy, I appreciated the suggestion :)

Really depends on where the dent is, how big, and how valuable the refrig is.   Small dent/scrach-- refrig magnets.  Big nasty gauge-- bondo (yes, car body bondo),, and high quality metallic paint or ( metallic film( amazon/ebay).  if on the side of the refrig-- simple black or silver paint.. Not perfect, but a a casual guest in your kitchen will not notice.   if very expensive refrig,  and on a part that is detachable-- then look on onlline for a replacement part (manufacturer, appliance parts centers, and  ebay)  People make a living buying a store's damaged appliances and doctoring them up.  (see craigslist and salvage outlets).

• Like 1

DH is a PDR (paintless dent repair) guy.  Yes, they approach the dent from the backside, not from the front.  Occasionally if they have to work from the front, they do a process called glue-pulling, where they use glue attached to their tools.  But that is not as effective as the other way, and I don't know that the glue process would be good for fridge door at all!  

No suction cups involved! ;)

Carry on! 

• Like 2

We did the dry ice and hair dryer on our new frig that was damaged in transport (discount given though). Dents (small) mostly came out. The one that is left is covered with a magnet.

I'm gonna try he hair dryer /dry ice thing. Can you tell me more, tips, or what worked best for you if you did it yourself? I've never handled dry ice. Did it leave any changes whatsoever in the finish or appearance of the metal?

Getting dry ice: $30

Sent off pictures to a pdr guy, I'll hear from him later on if he thinks he can do anything. thanks for insider pdr info @Gold berry!

It's a terribly reflective beautiful high cost thing. It's a tiny dent but looks awful! Ugh. DH is a magnet hater unfortunately :p

I would be really careful, before thinking about taking the door of a Refrigerator apart.  I've put new Gaskets on them, a couple of times, and that can be tricky. Taking the door apart could lead to problems I cannot anticipate.  I think I would either live with the problem, or have someone who is an "expert" with Refrigerator doors do that. GL

I was in the Kitchen telling my wife about this thread and I noticed that our refrigerator has Stainless Steel doors.  I opened the door for a few seconds.  It looks simple to take it apart, but based on my experiences replacing   Gaskets on the doors of 2 refrigerators, it may prove to be more difficult than it appears, before you take the door apart.     Possibly there is a web site somewhere that shows how to take the door apart?