Menu

What are your favorite audiobooks?

Let me start off by saying I never really gave a second thought to audiobooks until I heard about so many people using them for their kids to listen to, as well as having it suggested to me for DD.  I, personally, for myself, don't like them, which I think is why I never considered playing them for my kids before I started seeing everyone around here loving them!  I'd love to have start DD listening to some - I think it's a really good idea for her. For those that are doing or have done this...

When and where does everyone have their kids listen to them? 

How do you get them to actually listen?  DD (3) has great comprehension, and I regularly read her stories like Little House on the Prairie, etc., and she loves them (which is why I thought this may work).  But she is ALWAYS talking.  Talking over music, talking during TV shows when she gets to watch them...just always talking.  At 3, of course I don't expect her to sit still as a statue to listen to these all the way through.  Should I play it in the background & hope she catches some of it? Or still too young? She is definitely capable of sitting & listening (at least for short periods), as she does it during story time at the library all the time.  

What stories did they love to listen to, or which are your favorites? 

TIA!

Edited by Christine B

My kids at 3 started listening to some of the Jim Weiss stories. They are somewhat short. My 3 year old currently enjoys Nate the Great and Ivy and Bean. She listens while she plays legos or with her my little pony. She also listens during rest time in her room. She doesn't listen very well but that's ok. My older kids listen to SO many audiobooks. It's crazy!!! They have quiet time in their room at 8 (because mom is very done by 8). They listen until bedtime. It's really wonderful!

• Like 1

I had my kids listen to them at rest time. They liked Beverly Cleary, Winnie the Pooh, and Boxcar children.

My current 3yr old really likes Magic Tree house, but I actually think those are better to save for when she is reading herself.

My DD loves to have me read the Magic Tree House!  She'll listen to the entire thing in one sititing.  

Not for a three year old, but the best audiobook I have listened to is Around the World in 80 Days, narrated by Jim Dale. Everything Jim Dale narrates is good, but this is a performance!!

My 8 year old loves the Who Was biographies, everything by Beverly Cleary and EB White, Nim's Island, Mary Poppins ... Those last two he has probably listened to 5x each. And we spent a school year listening to Story of the World 1-4 in the car.

For your dad, Paddington is good. James Herriot treasury is read by Jim Dale. Pippi Longstocking. Penderwicks.

For youngers:

Winnie the Pooh

Beatrix Potter

James Herriot's Treasury for Children **** My kids' all time favorite when they were little.

Miss Fannie's Hat

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Charlotte's Web

Jim Weiss

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Hank the Cowdog

If you do the Bible, The Jesus Storybook Bible audio is fabulous.

My kids have always loved audiobooks of fairy tales, folk tales and poetry.

Edited by ScoutTN

Well given her language level, she's probably going to enjoy a pretty broad range of things, including some that surprise you.  You might start with the library, select 10 on ILL, pick them up, and just see what happens.  Our library system has a consortium, so I select all our things online and pick them up.  Ds thinks it's how you buy things.   :lol:

My preferred starter audiobooks at that age are the Chronicles of Narnia series, anything by EB White (Charlotte's Web, anything else that clicks), and Little House.  I read the Lang's Fairy Tale books to them myself, because they give me pleasure.  

All the books people are listing are awesome.  Just start somewhere.  Don't discriminate based on age.  If you go to Audible, they'll have Great Courses, adult books, etc.  I'm not saying buy quite yet.  Start at the library if you want, see how she takes to them.  I load my ds' books onto his kindle and he hauls the thing around like he's Linus with a blanket, oh my.  Now he has an e-reader device from the NLS (he's dyslexic), and it's fabulous too.  But really, the kindle fire is PERFECT for bright non-readers who want to navigate their selections.  Of course maybe they just ruined it with the newest operating system?  Someone is saying the new one lost the picture carousel.  I don't know.  I have to replace ours (grrr) because it bit the dust.  The first one went in the tub and this one met a terrible end.  But really, he's wicked rough.  I had bought both used.  This time I'm gonna buy new and get the warranty!  I figure with the deals I got, it was still fine.  But if you buy the 32GB and get the warranty, they'll replace that critter 3 times I think.  At that point, no worries, kwim?  

My dd is not dyslexic, and she loved audiobooks for years and years too.  It's something you can't go wrong with.  If she wants it faster, she can crank up the speed. 

We love to listen to audiobooks in the car. We just took a 12 hour road trip to the blackhills and never had to worry about boredom in the back seat as we listened to Redwall. When ds was young we also enjoyed Mrs Piggle-Wiggle, E.B. White, Beverly Cleary,Indian in the Cupboard. . .

My DD loves The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia, the How to Train Your Dragon series read by David Tennant, Black Beauty, LOTR, and Alice in Wonderland with Jim Dale. We listen in the car and at home while putting together puzzles and/or sitting quietly. We live in the country and spend a lot of time in the car, so audio books are easy for us.