Menu

pre-algebra vs Keys to Algebra, after Singapore Math

If a child has done Singapore Math through most of 6B, and are having a rocky start to Jacob's Algebra, would you do a prealgebra program, even though you would not need much of it, or would you do Keys to Algebra? In the past, we have done Keys to. He says he would like to just do the Keys to. He hasn't really tried much else and even if we did preAlgebra, he would not need the entire time. He just needs to get comfortable with using variables.

I would not do Keys to Algebra if your intention is to go back to Jacobs.  Jacobs' strength is in the semi-discovery approach of the problem sets and if you were to do the Keys first, you'd eliminate that aspect of it.  

Are you working with your student on Jacobs?  The reason I ask is that there is not always a whole lot of instruction in the text (the bulk of the instruction is in the problem sets, but if a student is confused, that is not going to be helpful).

If you're looking for a solid prealgebra program, I highly recommend Derek Owens.  It's easy to accelerate.

• Like 1