Menu

Apologia Biology and lab questions...

We weren't intending to do biology this year but have run across a group getting together to do labs so I want to take advantage of that.

I know there is a student notebook with lab pages.  Are these specific to Apologia labs or just generic lab pages?  Would the notebook be helpful if we are just doing the labs only, but not the text or would something printed off the internet suffice?

We used some Apologia in elementary science, but my daughter disliked wading through the "conversational" style to get to the information.  Is the high school level still very wordy?  Or was that more specific to the younger texts?   

The high school texts and the elementary texts have completely different authors, so the style is different.

The Apologia Biology note book is an awesome tool, but I don't think I'd buy it just for doing the labs. The lab pages are specific to the labs, but the vast majority of the notebook is for the text (doing the On Your Own questions, study guides etc...). I love the notebooks for doing the full course.

• Like 3

The high school texts and the elementary texts have completely different authors, so the style is different.

The Apologia Biology note book is an awesome tool, but I don't think I'd buy it just for doing the labs. The lab pages are specific to the labs, but the vast majority of the notebook is for the text (doing the On Your Own questions, study guides etc...). I love the notebooks for doing the full course.

Agreed. If you're only using for labs save your $$.

My son is only doing the labs, and I bought the notebook. He is the youngest in his class, and I wanted this to be a good experience for him. Everyone else had it, so it just made sense for him to as well. If he does biology in the future without a group, I won't feel the pressure to do a lot of labs because I plan on saving this notebook to show he did a biology lab science. 

The book is huge and spiral bound. I took it to Office Max and had the lab pages taken out and put on a smaller coil with the covers put back on. It's a nice size now.

A great benefit is that all the materials and procedures are printed right there on every lab. 

Well worth the money to me! 

• Like 2

The samples here show some of the lab pages but not the places they record information.

http://www.christianbook.com/exploring-creation-2nd-edition-student-notebook/vicki-dincher/9781940110127/pd/124775?event=ESRCG

Much better sample here. Click on the Dowload button and several samples of pages come up. 

http://www.apologia.com/biology/403-biology-student-notebook.html

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

You should look a some samples of the textbook or try to get hold of one locally to look at.

While the author is different from the elementary books, I think the style is similar, and

I do find it wordy. He writes like he is talking to you, and the feel is different than a typical textbook. You'd have to decide for yourself whether you find it annoying.

• Like 1