Menu

What do your sick days look like?

luuknam

Inspired by the "How to head off a bad homeschooling day" thread (on gen ed) - what do your sick days look like when the kids are not so sick that they're spending the entire day in bed, but are, say, coughing and sniffling a LOT and generally looking miserable? Also, how old are your kids (because this would probably be different for a 5yo than a 15yo)?

At all ages, I adjust work to the condition of the child. They will usually do any reading they have on their schedule and listen to read aloud a. I may give math if they aren't fuzzy headed--but might only do half a lesson. Grammar, spelling, foreign languages and often writing are usually dropped if they are like you describe.

I let my high schooler make the call-but he is not usually that sick ever.

• Like 3

Back in my homeschooling days, we schooled year round so sick days were never a problem. I let them choose what they wanted to do. I always kept learning games so even on sick days if all we did was play games, we were still doing something worthwhile. And we even took sick days if I was sick.

• Like 3

We're having a sick day today. We both have sore throats and runny noses. If we HAD to be somewhere - not just something fun where we're spreading germs to our friends! - we could rally, but since we don't have to be anywhere, we're staying in bed. We're ahead in school right now, and honestly - it's fun to snuggle. We're rarely sick, so I don't stress about taking the occasional day when we need to recharge. We make up the work the next day or so. My daughter is an only and she's 11.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My 6th grader attends b&m school part-time for English, science, history. She was sick a couple weeks ago--head cold. On her worst day we did read-alouds and some spelling. On her feeling-better-but-still-sick days we caught up with her school courses and skipped math for a couple days.

• Like 2

DS10 would be reading story books with a box of tissues next to his book and a thrash can next to him. Once his nose is less runny, he would have either gone to bed or get some work done.

DS11 would have run out of story books so he would have done work as usual or sleep even when 5 years old. He would rather sleep than watch anything or play when sick.

Both would be drinking chicken with ginger soup for the cough and running nose.

• Like 2

Luckily they seem to be doing much better than last night/this morning. I think I'm still going to have them miss dance & gymnastics tonight, but at least they're not looking miserable anymore. We did about a disc's worth of SOTW 1 audio book - normally we only listen to audio books in the car, but apparently someone placed a hold on it so I can't renew it (due today), and 3 weeks of driving wasn't enough for 7 discs. Now we still have 4 more tracks to go, thinking of cramming that in later this afternoon.

Ah, and now they're fighting with each other over Pokemon cards - definitely doing better, lol.

Senior and Sophomore...

Sick day would mean sleeping in as late as they need to. Sniffly cold, usually no change in schoolwork. Anything more and it is completely dependent on how they feel. We always do far beyond the required days/hours, so I am not worried about missing an actual "day." Sometimes the girls work ahead anyway, or they can double up on lessons if needed to finish by the end of the school year. We don't do outside classes, dual enrollment, or anything where their work is on someone else's deadline so we don't have that pressure to keep up with a schedule.

• Like 1

We're all sick right now, I'm the worst off though.  What I've been doing is math review from our last lesson, basically just 3-6 questions on a worksheet to make sure we don't slide backward, then short art lesson/project (no matter how sick they are, they seem to be up for this, lol), snack (oranges and tea), then reading, documentary, or sleeping, depending on the kid.  I don't have the voice for a read aloud right now, otherwise I'd probably fit that in.  

I don't really think we need to do all of this from a school standpoint, but sometimes staying on the routine even a little makes it easier for them, and they tire out from everything so it feels like the "resting" is not as "restless" afterward. Kids are 7, 5, 3. 

• Like 1