Menu

Please tell me if my kids are old enough to go to Disney?

Meadowlark

So, my husband is pressuring me to go to Disney. Don't get me wrong, I really want to go-and would go every year if finances would allow-but the reality is that this is probably a once in a lifetime trip, being that we have 7 people.

A friend of mine just got back and told us we HAVE to go before our kids get too old. I went for the first time when I was 14, and I remember every bit of it. It was magical, awesome and I have awesome memories of it. But...is she right?

Our kids are 9.5, 8, 5.5, 4.5, and 3.

I just really don't want to be dragging crying, tired kids around because believe me, I'll want to do it ALL. I also really really want them to remember it. 

So, what's your vote? When should we go? What would be the perfect ages for this crew? 

Edited by Meadowlark
  • Like 1

Were taking our almost 3 year old this winter. But I don't expect it will be our only trip, so that changes things.

I agree that going when the youngest is 5 seems good. They won't be napping during the day, won't need a stroller, and most people can remember vacations from when they were 5. The oldest would only be 11, so plenty of the wonder will still be there.

That said, if now is a better time for your family, the three year old will still enjoy it, and even if they won't remember it, they'll still enjoy looking back through the family photos later on.

• Like 1

We took DS at 6 and it was a great age. He handled all of the walking really well (even our one accidental 12 hr park day). He also still remembers it and had a really good time. 

We really like to stop back at the hotel for a few hours in the afternoon- to recharge and lounge by the pool. We would go back in for dinner and stay for a few hours each evening. The times we've done that, we've enjoyed much more than the marathon days with no breaks.

• Like 1

Well I started to say go now, but then I looked more closely at the ages of your littles. I'd happily take a youngest child at 3, but would quite possibly consider waiting a year if the next oldest were just 4 and 5.

If it were me, I would not wait 3 years. Because in waiting for your youngest to be six, that will make your oldest a teen or nearly so, and sometimes this means that the rides that a few years earlier would have appealed to everyone are suddenly "little kid" to a teen.

We've been to Disney many, many times as we are in state and have bought passes periodically. My very favorite year was when my kids were 2, 5, and 9, closely followed by the year they were 4, 6, and 11. There's just a magic about going with little ones, IMO.

Unless you have a very meltdown-prone 3 year old, of course. In that case, wait. We waited until my meltiest kid was 4 turning 5 (he had been prior as an infant). I wouldn't have wanted to take him at 3!

If finances mean this will be a once in a lifetime trip, then wait 3 years. Your kids will be ages 6-13 so ALL be old enough to enjoy it and remember it, everybody will be tall enough to ride everything and not be scared by the more intense rides, no parent will have to give up some of their time to take the littler ones back to the hotel for an afternoon nap or calm down time, and everyone can carry their own fanny pack with a waterbottle and snack, so MOM doesn't have to be the pack horse. ;)

We waited until DSs were 5yo and 6.5yo and could walk the entire time AND could handle being in the park for 10-12 hours straight. That was perfect.

Also, my answer also comes from my own selfishness. I will confess this straight up: I am a curmudgeon when it comes to strollers and screaming toddlers and preschoolers (who will have NO memory of the event), dampening the Disney fun for the families who DID wait until their kids were old enough to fully enjoy the experience.

I almost came to blows on one trip with a lone woman who had TWELVE STROLLERS blocking off prime, front-row curb seating for the parade, clearly saving for a horde who were all off riding rides and would swoop in just 5 minutes before the parade, blocking out those of us who had arrived 45 minutes early to get a decent spot to stand and watch the parade. Seriously??!!? I don't mind a family with a stroller taking turns waiting while the other parent takes the kids for food or to the bathroom, but that was clearly stroller abuse and straight up selfishness. (As you can see, a long day at Disney brings out the "best" in everyone, me included. ;) )

• Like 3

I think it is such a personal choice.

Do you want your youngest to remember it for a long time?  I mean I don't remember things from when I was 10. 

I think your 3 year old would remember it now.  But they will have a ball and remember it for a period of time. 

We went for our first time and the kids were 2,4,6, and 8.

Then we went again when they were 3 months, 3, 5, 7, and 9

I am debated going again a few months later, but we picked Legoland instead. 

I think each age gets different things out of it.  Different magic if you will.  My oldest had a great time at 8.  And a great time at 9.  But my 4 year old have a totally different experience than the 8 year old did.  Believed that every princess we saw was real.

But the 2 year old was really scared of things.

Go whenever you want.  

It isn't all about your kids though.  You will remember this.  And sometimes that is worth it too. 

I don't hold off on travel until I think the kids will remember it.  Hell I don't remember things about the trip we got back from 2 weeks ago.   But I remember parts.  And they will too.  And even if they don't remember it all, the experience is still worth it.

• Like 1

That said, if now is a better time for your family, the three year old will still enjoy it, and even if they won't remember it, they'll still enjoy looking back through the family photos later on.

Well, maybe.

My parents took my siblings and I when I wasn't quite 3. I obviously don't remember it. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing for our family. We took many other trips, but none quite so kid-oriented.We generally went to national parks and battlefields after that.

I have never let my parents forget it.

So I vote for waiting another couple years. 

• Like 4

I agree that if it's a once in a lifetime thing financially, then you should wait three years.

If it's in the budget to do every few years, I think you could go now or go in a year and that you'd potentially all enjoy it. Depends on you and your kids. Alternately, if it's feasible, you might enjoy breaking your group up and taking the oldest two in a year or two and the younger ones in maybe five years. Maybe with a grandparent or something.

• Like 3

Stay at a hotel that is CLOSE by! And get a multi-day pass for everyone if possible. This will allow you to take the littles back for naps if necessary.

Also, you might want umbrella strollers for the 3 and 5 year olds. Also, if may be worth a few more dollars to get the FastPasses.

You CAN take coolers of food in with you, so maybe you'll want a bigger stroller for the youngest so you have storage space, as well.

Your 3 and 5 year old may not remember the trip but the rest of you will. 

I would wait because your little ones are too small to ride certain rides and that means one parent stays behind with the littles while the other tries to juggle the older kids.  It would be a lot more fun in a few years when everyone can ride most things. And when everyone is older, they will have more stamina. 

I'm not sure you have to worry about the older kids being too old to enjoy it, but in a few years your youngest two will be in prime Disney Princess mode and that will be fun. 

Your dh should take your 3 oldest boys and just go.  He wants to go and you don't.  

We're planning a trip to Disney right now, btw, because we're going to FL for a wedding.  I don't think you're crazy AT ALL.  A trip with that big a group, with those ages, sounds nuts, horrible, and like you'd spend half your day napping and cajoling.  That's not my idea of a fun vacation.  

Do you have doting grandparents who would watch the littles or even go along to give extra hands?  Like would these grandparents kick in, get a suite with DVC rental points, and that way you'd have someone to take the littles back for naps while the olders want to keep going?  And so that it's actually a pleasant time for YOU?  

I'd lay down the law on what makes it a nice trip for you.  Just say it straight.  You require one hour without kids every day.  You require breaks and assistance.  You require x level of accommodation.  We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside (Lord-willing), but I was just looking at the Art of Animation suites and thinking how INSANELY adorable they are.  How many of your family would fit in those peacefully?  What does that dynamic look like?  You could start with the room or suite you'd be wanting and work backwards.

Personally, I wouldn't splurge all your money on the ritziest, swankiest deluxe and never get to go again, kwim?  I would stay more moderate, wait for free dining deals, etc. etc., and go with the thought that you'll go back when the girls are older.

You could also think through how much it will mean to the 3 and 4 yo girls.  My teen dd wants to stay at the Royal Room at Port Orleans.  But at 3 and 4, they're a little young for it to really matter, just me.  You could wait till they're 6 and 5, go do ALL the princess stuff to the hilt, have a great time.  The boys could do now, because they're a fabulous age to do all the pirate stuff.  The girls could go later and do princess.  

Disney World for pirate lovers

I grew up in SoCal. Remember going to Disneyland every Friday night as a teen when they had $5 entrance for a teen dance. I couldn't wait to take the then 5 y.o for his June birthday.  Four tickets, er $300.00, we were out of there in 90 minutes without  a single ride. Lines, heat, crowd was too much for him.  For the younger kids, strongly recommend Scandia in Ontario (10 Fwy & 60 Fwy) if you are going to be out in SoCal anyway. For a $20.00 wristband. It has every ride in the children's section at Knoxberry Farm ( easiest way  to describe) , and then some. Plus go- carting, miniature golf, and float tube water fighting.  Unlimited rides wristbands are $20.00 for children, and adults can  buy a band or single ride along for a couple of bucks. Crowds are manageable. Can get off a ride, get back in line, and be back on the ride in 15 minutes. Ended up going to Scandia at least once a month for the next 3 years.   Save the money with the younger kids.  

we went twice (true, I grew up with D'Land and even worked there out of high school for a year...but my kids are Illinoisans....) first time youngest was about 3.  She remembers nothing.  Second time she was about 12, siblings older teens....and they didn't care for it (well, son with autism did).  I think wait two years and your kids will be perfect ages for it.

I read an article/essay on this in a Parenting magazine.   This angst for the writer was whether to go back next year, or wait a few years.  The reason for going back was for the benefit of the youngest.   The writer asked the oldest child, "What was your favorite thing about our Disney trip?"   The answer was, "The hotel pool".    

I am like you in that I want to go, but it is outrageously expensive so we will only go once.  I am monitoring DD to see when her answer about the last vacation is something more location-specific than 'the hotel pool'.   

Not Disney, but we went on an European trip this year (in lieu of Disney) and my 7 year old did pretty well with the walking with little whining. No way could we have done it when she was younger without someone carrying her, and she still wanted to be carried this trip (which I think I did at some point....). She remembers the trip very well, of course. There was no hotel pool. At 4, she remembers very little of our trips, and definitely had to be carried.

We went last year, when our dc were 4, 15 and 18. Considering our age spread, it was perfect timing and everyone enjoyed themselves.

ETA: Our youngest was able to walk all day on her own, and was in full princess obsession mode, so it was perfect. We went when we did out of fear that the older kids would soon be moving on with their own lives and not be available for a family trip. If this had not been the case, we likely would have waited until she was 6.

Edited by AHASRADA

I vote wait.

1.  Your youngest ones are so young they won't remember it.

2.  Your youngest ones are so young they won't enjoy it.  You would not believe the number of young children we saw having complete meltdowns because they were exhausted and overstimulated.  

3.  Your oldest ones will still enjoy it even if you wait a few years.  My dd was 11 or 12 (can't remember exactly) when we took her, and she loved it.  She's 16 now and she wants to go back!  Honestly, I really think you're never too old, and that older kids get more out of it than the little ones.

One thing to,remember though is that kids become "adult" to Disney at age 9. That means adult prices for tickets and any buffets/family style restaurants. (Usually you can still purchase kids meals at count services restaurants). If you wait three years, you will have another "adult" if that makes any difference.

We took one of those once-in-a-lifetime trips to Disney Workd when my DS was 4 and my older child was 11. My bottoms line was fully potty trained with no day time accidents. We had such a great time that we ended up buying into the Disney Vacation Club (time share) and going back several more times since.

• Like 1

So, my husband is pressuring me to go to Disney. Don't get me wrong, I really want to go-and would go every year if finances would allow-but the reality is that this is probably a once in a lifetime trip, being that we have 7 people.

A friend of mine just got back and told us we HAVE to go before our kids get too old. I went for the first time when I was 14, and I remember every bit of it. It was magical, awesome and I have awesome memories of it. But...is she right?

I just really don't want to be dragging crying, tired kids around because believe me, I'll want to do it ALL. I also really really want them to remember it. 

So, what's your vote? When should we go? What would be the perfect ages for this crew? 

When the youngest child is five.

In our family, we do Disneyland (we've never done WDW) on the fifth birthday. Generally, five-year-old little people don't need naps or strollers. :-)

There is no such thing as being too old for Disneyland.

• Like 1

Add me to those who say I'd want the youngest to be 6 or so.

We went when our kids were younger, but at that time, we lived in FL.  They don't recall much from their FL years (moved when oldest was 4).  We took a Canadian Maritimes trip (3 weeks) when my youngest was 7 (others were 8 and 10).  He remembers some from that - not all.  That was the first of our longer (major) trips and their memories increase from there.  For a once in a lifetime deal, I'd definitely wait.

There really isn't a "too old" issue.  People will either like Disney or not.  We have teens from my high school who go for the first time and enjoy it.  Older kids can't ride the small kiddie rides, but they can ride the older kid rides.  My kids preferred the older kid rides.  They were not happy campers when they were too small for those.

• Like 2

How far away do you live?

Can you drive or will you have to fly?

Are you willing to stay off site?

Eat a lot of your own food?

Can you go for Homeschool days at a discount?

When we homeschooled we went down every year. We stayed off site for around $250/wk, including taxes, often for a 4 bedroom townhouse.

We eat a lot of our own food, breakfast on your own, lunch carried into the parks, dinner out or simple back at the townhouse. No more than our regular food budget and eating out budget.

We would allow the kids souvenirs at the Outlet Disney store when they were little.

It is harder and harder to get discounted tickets. We used to get 7 day passes for all 5 of us for $750. Now it is double that, even with the HS discount.

But:

Townhouse: $250

Tickets: $1500

Food: regular budget plus maybe $200 max.

Extra costs for gas, dog sitting, etc....

We start our kids at 3 mos. Lol. Seriously, Disney trips were the only times our babies slept.

My grandson was 2 1/2. He would watch Playhouse Disney some on tv, so he knew the characters. DDIL and DD ran off to a big ride. I strolled my sweet grandson over to a meet Mickey line. It was inside one of the buildings so he could not see what was coming next. I just told him we were going to meet Mickey. I let him play on the floor with some of his cars as the line meandered around the corners.

Suddenly, it was his turn. He looked up to see Mickey for the first time. Mickey was motioning for him to come over. My dear grandson looked back at me with the biggest smile I have ever seen. He said, "Can I?" I smiled back and motioned to him it was OK. He ran at 100 miles an hour grabbing Mickey's legs to hold on tight. Mickey got the biggest hug he had all day. He bent down to give my grandson a hug back. I have a picture to prove this was the greatest moment in my grandson's life up to that point.

So, yes, your kiddos are plenty old. There is different magic to be held at every age at Disney.

If you want to avoid the crying kid problem then you should also take into account temperament, not just age.  Some people are not temperamentally inclined to like Disneyland.  If you demand someone like that take one for the team and go on a family vacation there, then you had best plan on ways for that person to decompress during the trip.  I know society insists everyone should like Disneyland, including kids, but society is often clueless. Here are my general thoughts on Disneyland trips. I've taken kids of all ages starting at 3.

1. Have breaks from all the visual and auditory assault that Disneyland piles on people. Plan to take spent children back to the hotel room for a quiet rest or to seek out a less crowded area of Disneyland and rest for a while.

2. Insist dad (or another adult) isn't one of THOSE dads.  When the kids have different ideas about what to do next, dad (or another adult) can't dump the squabbling kids with you and then wonder why you're so tired, worn out and trying to deal with logistics of all of it while he "spontaneously" took the kids in agreement to what they all wanted to do.  I think this is a chronic problem in relationships where one adult does the vast majority of caring for the children. A frank conversation about realistic expectations of children and his role in dealing with conflict is critical before you leave your house.

3. Spontaneity has the potential to drain physical and emotional resources in that situation.  Dad and the kids need to understand that going back and forth from one area to the other on impulse with littles is more demanding than staying in one area at a time and riding what each kid wants.  A friend of mine goes to DL every year with her 7 kids and they had a plan and a list.  Each kid told her what rides they cannot live without and she had them listed under each major area.  They decided on an order of which areas they would cover in which order and made sure they get on those rides before moving to the next one.  It saved a whole lot of conflict by deciding beforehand.  As the kids got older they could divide up, but when they were little, they stuck to the plan.

4. Decide what kind of grouping matters to you.  When my brother and his in-laws ( 9 people total) go to Disneyland they do everything together.  They function as a unit. If one person has to go to the restroom they all wait outside the restroom until that person is done. They all get in the same line for the same ride and ride it together. They shop in the same shops together.  They eat every meal together. 

When my in-laws and I went to Disneyland (7-9 people before the days of cell phones) we meet up and people decide what they want to do.  There were usually 2-3 different groups and people join others who want to do the same things. Some went to the tall people rides, some went to certain kiddie rides and some went shopping.  We met at a predetermined time and place for either lunch or dinner.  Everyone talked about the fun they had and what they want to do next and people grouped up according to their preferences.  We meet up for the final fireworks show at a particular  predetermined area.

5. Stop over sentimentalizing Disneyland.  If you had a terrible childhood or your dreams of going to Disneyland were never realized in childhood, going as an adult won't fix that.  Go to Disneyland because that's the kind of amusement that you and your family members genuinely enjoy for itself, not because of  personal emotional baggage.  My brother has an in-law who is like this and that person is wounded and resentful if everyone else on the trip isn't loving every minute of it and saying so out loud. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't take kids as young as yours.  We went when the kids were 4 & 6 and then 6 & 8 and neither remembers much now at 10 & 12.  We did Universal at 7 & 9 and that is the trip they remember.  

Disney can be very overwhelming and I definitely can't imagine trying to do it all with preschool-age kids.  My own kids never lasted more than about 6 hours in the parks and we never went back for fireworks because they were exhausted (we were there at rope drop every day though).

• Like 1

I so appreciate all of this feedback. Thinking about my preschoolers...many of you are right. If we have a day out, away from home (even something rather unstimulating and non-physical), they are still SO worn out, cranky and tired. I can't imagine what  Disney might do to them. And yes, if I'm spending THAT much money on something, I will be grumpy if people aren't having the time of their lives, or grumbling about it, or crying or whatever. I think you've convinced me to wait about 3 years at the very least. :-)

• Like 3

How far away do you live?

Can you drive or will you have to fly?

Are you willing to stay off site?

Eat a lot of your own food?

Can you go for Homeschool days at a discount?

When we homeschooled we went down every year. We stayed off site for around $250/wk, including taxes, often for a 4 bedroom townhouse.

We eat a lot of our own food, breakfast on your own, lunch carried into the parks, dinner out or simple back at the townhouse. No more than our regular food budget and eating out budget.

We would allow the kids souvenirs at the Outlet Disney store when they were little.

It is harder and harder to get discounted tickets. We used to get 7 day passes for all 5 of us for $750. Now it is double that, even with the HS discount.

But:

Townhouse: $250

Tickets: $1500

Food: regular budget plus maybe $200 max.

Extra costs for gas, dog sitting, etc....

We're in the midwest, so while driving is probably possible, no one really wants to do that. I think I'd rather save for an extra year or two rather than drive. Plus, there's the whole staying on property debate. We are total 'rent a house, buy our own groceries' vacationers...but something about being in the midst of the Disney magic makes us want to throw caution to the wind and just stay on property. Dh feels pretty strong about that. (but of course there's the whole...being in FL and not seeing the ocean thing...which would seriously be a bummer) but that's another story.

I'd like to think we could afford to go back to FL at some point, but I also know that there are so many other places in the country that I'd love to take my kids. Unfortunately airfare for 7 is going to limit us a bit, so that is why I say Disney is probably a once in a lifetime experience. A friend told me Disney is one trip, and FL is another. Is that true? 

I have been 3 times and each time the youngest were 1 and 3. We never had a problem pushing a stroller/melting down kids but YMMV.

We also always rent a house. I believe you would have to get two rooms (although they may have suites that would fit your family). I think the house would be about 4-5x cheaper. Ours always had a private pool, 4 bedrooms, full kitchen, and washer and dryer. I know some people love staying at Disney though.

We usually go to the Melbourne area for a day or two and see the beach, then head to Orlando for the rest of the trip. Melbourne is too far to really commute from, but it is doable to do beach and Disney.

We took a four year old who got overtired twice a day and screamed for about a half hour until she fell asleep exhausted. I would not do it with kids less than 5 years old especially if they still need afternoon naps. If you child can sleep even when overstimulated, I would consider it -- otherwise wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been to WDW twice - once before my youngest was born (not pregnant at the time) and our kids were 5 and 3 at the time.  We had an amazing time but rented a double stroller for the entire week, stayed on property and took a 2-3 hour break every day back at our hotel.  We just got back from our second trip about 4 weeks ago.  Kids are now 12, 10 and 5.  What a huge difference!  They were all able to ride pretty much every ride (only one that was a no for the youngest was the roller coaster at DHS based on height requirements), we didn't have a stroller and we didn't *need* to take a break mid-day to rest.  We got free dining and based on the time of year we went, the crowds were minimal.  My vote would be to wait until youngest is 5+ and definitely stay on property.  Try to go during a less crowded time and you can make it through many of the lines quickly.  This was probably the last trip we will take to Disney and I wanted to go before the magic would be gone for the oldest.  I feel like it was perfectly timed with their ages / stages.  Hope this helps!

Edited by footballmom
  • Like 1

Am I the only one with memories from when I was three, including our only trip to Magic Kingdom?

Now with my own family, went to WDW for the first time when the kids were 2 and 5 because I wanted the oldest to buy into the magic. It was awesome and younger also had a great time.

Trying to do it all is a huge mistake. Rethink that strategy or consider an adult only trip first and then scale way back for a trip with young ones.

We always did the beach one day during our trips. There is a car rental onsite so my husband took Disney transportation, picked up the car and came back to the resort to pick us up.

Cocoa beach is about 75 mins away and the Gulf about 90 mins, so both are doable as a day trip (much more risk of hitting traffic going to the Gulf though).

I've done rope-drop to nighttime fireworks, multi-park, many day trips with kids under 3 (with both of my younger two). (I'm pretty unstoppable.) We had a great time when they were little -- I've never been obsessed with the 'Will they remember it?" because even if they don't? I will. And some of those things won't be the same at 5 or 6 as they are at 3. Some of those memories are MY favorites. And My Youngest has memories from that trip when he was 3. (I know because he went to Disneyland next -at 50- and talked about things that were ONLY at WDW both on the trip and after, but before returning to WDW).

But we knew it wasn't once in a lifetime. :) I can definitely see the optimization questions. Sometimes young teens can be difficult on trips (to anywhere) because thats the nature of young teens.

You can do Disenyland without a stroller a lot earlier than Disney World (each park at WDW is a lot bigger than DLR or DCA) I don't think we did any no-stroller trips with kids under 5 (and these were kids who didn't use a stroller ANYWHERE ELSE after 2.5). But we didn't use one at 5+ ...  My kids were stroller nappers at Disney, so we didn't leave the parks for a 'afternoon break' despite the widespread popular advice. We normally plan a late, air conditioned lunch and take a leisurely time for it.

Having access to a kid under the height limits can be a bonus -- then you can get Baby Swap Pass... whoever waits with the younger kid can come back with up to 4 other guests and hop the line (usually into the FP line, these days) -- so our older kids got to ride things twice that they would not have otherwise.

A friend told me Disney is one trip, and FL is another. Is that true? 

Generally yes.  There is so much to see in FL - the beach (Gulf beats Atlantic), the Keys, the Springs, and any other little thing that catches your eye.  What your family will prefer totally depends upon you.

My kids vote for the beach over Disney and even Busch Gardens (in Tampa) over Disney, but they also like Disney.  It's just not their high point in life.  They also liked diving with the manatees, kayaking the springs, camping at the Dry Tortugas (and snorkeling, etc) all better than Disney.  BUT... we're a nature loving family.  Not everyone is.  Disney is anything but "nature" or "natural."  It's a theme park.

I wouldn't take kids as young as yours.  We went when the kids were 4 & 6 and then 6 & 8 and neither remembers much now at 10 & 12.  We did Universal at 7 & 9 and that is the trip they remember.  

Do you think it was the nature of Universal that was more memorable?  Better rides?  Because we were telling a friend we had an extra day in Florida, and first thing out of his mouth was to dump Disney and go to Universal, lol.

...Older kids can't ride the small kiddie rides, but they can ride the older kid rides...

Just to clarify: There is NO upper age limit on the kiddie rides. :)

I certainly understand that a 12yo may not WANT to ride the kiddie rides and really DOES want to ride the rollercoasters. But there is no rule saying that the teens or adults can't ride the kiddie rides, or that you NEED a kiddie with you in order to ride.  :laugh:

On our last trip to DL, I rode Dumbo at almost midnight with my adult DS who is over 6'. We both fit in one flying Dumbo car and had a blast! And that late at night, there are far fewer people in Fantasyland waiting for the the "kiddie" rides. :) (Except for Peter Pan... There is ALWAYS a minimum 40-minute wait for that one... :confused1: )

• Like 1

Just to clarify: There is NO upper age limit on the kiddie rides. :)

I certainly understand that a 12yo may not WANT to ride the kiddie rides and really DOES want to ride the rollercoasters. But there is no rule saying that the teens or adults can't ride the kiddie rides, or that you NEED a kiddie with you in order to ride.  :laugh:

On our last trip to DL, I rode Dumbo at almost midnight with my adult DS who is over 6'. We both fit in one flying Dumbo car and had a blast! And that late at night, there are far fewer people in Fantasyland waiting for the the "kiddie" rides. :) (Except for Peter Pan... There is ALWAYS a minimum 40-minute wait for that one... :confused1: )

True.  It's very likely a "want" vs "can" with my kids.  They rode Dumbo once (as older kids - teens) and came off saying "all you do is go in circles."  We haven't been on it since.  Peter Pan, however, is one we love.  The difference is the set up inside.  Dumbo is a ride they can do at any fair (not specifically Dumbo, of course, but going around in circles in planes, etc).  Peter Pan is only at Disney.

And the difference between your experience plus Barb's note (about Dumbo) and my family's thoughts goes back to premise that what one thinks about Disney really doesn't depend upon age.  It's personal preference.