Menu

Foreign words phonics

December

Is there anything out there that provides instruction for how to pronounce words of foreign origin that don't follow phonics rules? English phonics have been mastered, so I'm not looking for a full phonics curriculum, rather something that teaches the child how to recognize what language a word comes from and how to pronounce it.

Is there anything out there that provides instruction for how to pronounce words of foreign origin that don't follow phonics rules? English phonics have been mastered, so I'm not looking for a full phonics curriculum, rather something that teaches the child how to recognize what language a word comes from and how to pronounce it.

That's going to be hard, because we anglicise words when we move them to English, so knowing the pronunciation in the original language is not going to help.  For that matter, they take on different pronunciations in different versions of English.  'Herb' is a French word - it continued with no aspirated 'h' in North America but it gained an 'h' sound in Britain.  On the other hand, in general, because of cultural influences, Brits tend to be better at pronouncing French words and US Americans at Spanish words.  You don't want to hear a Brit pronouncing jalapeno, nor my MIL pronouncing her favourite restaurant, La Chaumiere.

All that to say: I'd teach them one-by-one.  And have fun with some Norman French names: Beauchamp?  Beauvoir?

Edited by Laura Corin

That's going to be hard, because we anglicise words when we move them to English, so knowing the pronunciation in the original language is not going to help.  For that matter, they take on different pronunciations in different versions of English.  'Herb' is a French word - it continued with no aspirated 'h' in North America but it gained an 'h' sound in Britain.  On the other hand, in general, because of cultural influences, Brits tend to be better at pronouncing French words and US Americans at Spanish words.  You don't want to hear a Brit pronouncing jalapeno, nor my MIL pronouncing her favourite restaurant, La Chaumiere.

All that to say: I'd teach them one-by-one.  And have fun with some Norman French names: Beauchamp?  Beauvoir?

Do you mean you'd teach the words one by one or that you would teach the languages one by one?  (Obviously you're not going to provide complete language instruction in every influential language but enough so that one would know how to pronounce words.)

Do you mean you'd teach the words one by one or that you would teach the languages one by one?  (Obviously you're not going to provide complete language instruction in every influential language but enough so that one would know how to pronounce words.)

Words one by one.  By learning to pronounce the words in the original tongue, you won't necessarily learn how to pronounce them as an English speaker would.  For example, in British English, a 'fête' is pronounced the same as 'fate', whereas in French it is more like 'fett'.  

Words one by one. By learning to pronounce the words in the original tongue, you won't necessarily learn how to pronounce them as an English speaker would. For example, in British English, a 'fête' is pronounced the same as 'fate', whereas in French it is more like 'fett'.

Hmm, I pronounce it fett.

But then I don't know that I have ever heard it spoken in English.

• Like 1

Another example: lingerie.  This page gives the different pronunciations in Britain and America:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/lingerie

but neither is correct French, so learning how the French pronounce it would not help an English speaker:

https://www.howtopronounce.com/french/lingerie/

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...