Menu

middle school community service projects?

Looking for some good middle school (or even upper elementary age) community service projects - share what has worked for you! What have you seen / heard other kids doing?

Our family participated in the African Library Project last year, and while the work of collecting & organizing the books was ideally suited to that age group, the fundraising aspect was a little daunting to middle school age kids. We'd like to do another project this year, but are still deciding a good fit for our family . . .

Ideas?

We participate in conservation projects run by the nearby national park conservancy or park lands, when it works in our schedules.

We've started walking shelter dogs.

When my kids turn 10, they will be old enough to "adopt" a path at the nearby national park, and maintain it throughout the year.

We also do some other activities organized by scouts.

My kids did the "color run" recently - I am wondering if that counts as service.

When they get a little older, they can volunteer to read to emerging readers at the library.

My favorite charity has volunteer days involving maintenance and such.  Now that my kids are almost 10, I should see if they qualify for those yet.

We too volunteer in our local parks. My city has several huge parks and a state park. Trail maintenance,weed and invasive plant pulling mostly.

Trash pick up through the "Keep the county beautiful" program. They provide the grabbers, trash bags and hand sanitizer. We did this at local schools and ball fields recently with Dd's scout troop and it was great.

My Dd's middle school youth group serves at an after school program once a month on Friday afternoons. They play with the kids and help with enrichment activities.

My kids have all helped build food boxes at our local food bank (it has been a no brainer for us Dh does work for them) and we have collected items to create gift baskets for the women living in the transitional housing program for DV survivors. Our Co-op is planning a community leadership class for middleschoolers where they choose a community issue and find a solution that they can implement and then do it.

• Like 1

Get a group together and go sing (old songs) at nursing home. Or go play board games with them. Coordinate with the activities director. One group goes regularly and paints nails. 

Trash pickup - adopt a park or street in your town.

Hold a clothing or shoe or coat drive. Donate to shelter in your area. We also have a group that holds a coats-for-kids event where you can collect coats and on a Saturday, folks show up to get a new coat with the kids.

Make cards for veterans, sick kids in hospitals, doctors (they have a high suicide rates, so we try to do thank you notes), etc.

Volunteer at a local pet rescue place. Our SPCA wants the kids to be older.

• Like 1