Menu

Venting a bit, feeling sad and confused

hi all

havent been on in a while. please pardon my typos as i am typing on an old computer as mine is not working.

just need to vent/get sympathy/a kind ear/some advice.

both kids are in school this year for the first time ever. ds11 in 6th at a private montessori, which is going ery well. ds14 at a public IB program, which is not going so well (well academically, but he's sad and doesn't love the school or the teachers or the courses and wantss to come home again).

I am working more than ever (i run two businesses). I have relished my freedom, but also see the downsides of having them in school. we have zero flexibility (DH runs his own business too, so we always had the option to "take off' for a couple of days with the boys, and that option is gone). We have to get up super early, no lingering leisurely morning breakfasts where we hang out and talk about our plans. No more late movie nights where we cuddle on the couch and giggle. Bedtime si 830 to 9 for both kids, and to be honest, i am alseep by 930. I am so tired. dh is unhappy too. he misses the kids. he feels their education (certainly the older child's) is not what he had hoped. He thinks his homeschooling education was better. 

At the same time, I donit know how much of this to weather through, and how much to pay attention too. Someone said something to me recently "you're doing now what most parents do when their kid is 4 years old." that is, we're letting go. And it's hard. And.....we don't do hard well. We do happy, we do rigorous, we do challenging, we do rules that matter. But we don't do hard for the sake of HARD. Does that make sense? It has to MEAN something if it's going to behard, and right now, we just don'tknow.

I know we need to adjust. I also know that I am enjoying working more, enjoying my alone time (I am a true introvert) and have a chronic illlness which makes homeschooling downright impossible some days. I know that my younger was getting away with waya too much in the last year. (My older, not so much--he's very anal and responsible and I do not need to monitor him at all). 

So maybe the older should come home. But then i think--that's it! Once he goes from public high to homeschool there's no going back. It was SUPER challenging to get them to accept his homeschool work, as he was advanced, and I don't know if I can go through that again. But then I worry the younger will also say "hey, I want to come home too!" which is ihis wont.

I just don tknow. thank you for letting me vent, especially since i havent been on here very much in the last 5 months.

• Like 12

Hugs. I read your vent and, as always, am glad to see your avatar on here.

No advice, just hugs. This parenting stuff is not for wimps. It is so hard sometimes.

Edited to fix an auto correct that wasn't correct!

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 5

Looking at your other thread, could the oldest dual enrol next semester at community college for Spanish and art and biology, and maybe AoPS precalculus online?

As for your younger son, if he wants to come home because his brother is home, then negotiate a learning contract with him.

• Like 2

Looking at your other thread, could the oldest dual enrol next semester at community college for Spanish and art and biology, and maybe AoPS precalculus online?

As for your younger son, if he wants to come home because his brother is home, then negotiate a learning contract with him.

i will have to check. he DID pass the test neccesary to go to CC but just because his score was high enoguh, i THINK he needs to be in 10th. I will check though.

Probably we've all (or will be) in situations where we are not able to meet our perfect parent expectations.  I know that has happened to me, and still does!  That's just part of life, and all of those unique experiences (even the imperfect ones) make up our children's journeys.  It's okay.  You love them and are doing the best you can, and that's what matters most.  

Other than that, I'm sorry for the stress you feel and your dh's unhappiness.  I hope that all levels out.  Also, give your 14-year-old time.  He will probably find his way and be fine.  

Another option is to do an on-line program at home, if you and he are comfortable leaving him alone all day. 

• Like 2

Hugs. I read your vent and, as always, am glad to see your avatar on here.

No advice, just hugs. This parenting stuff is not for wimps. It is so hard sometimes.

Edited to fix an auto correct that wasn't correct!

aw thanks. i am probably just being hormonal. I am SO USED to actually working WITH my children to solve problems, and I realize now that  I simply can't. It's not in my purview, so to speak.

This might be a good time to remember what I've heard on the boards for some time: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

You're working two jobs. Kids come home, something has to give. There's just so much time in a day and so much of you to go around. 

ETA: And :grouphug: . Why is it that whenever we get stretched to our limits, something comes along that wants "more"? 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 8

Hugs! Change is hard. Sometimes really hard. And sometimes it is hard to let us know that the decision was not the right one. You have time to let this one simmer. Unless it is really bad, I would let him finish the semester and really think this through over Thanksgiving. 

A little back ground... our son got into the most competitive magnet in the county. He hated it, and I was rather disgusted with the classes... he finished the semester and went back to homeschooling in January. The Christmas holiday provided a nice break and starting in the New Year just felt easy and right. 

• Like 2

Hugs! Change is hard. Sometimes really hard. And sometimes it is hard to let us know that the decision was not the right one. You have time to let this one simmer. Unless it is really bad, I would let him finish the semester and really think this through over Thanksgiving. 

A little back ground... our son got into the most competitive magnet in the county. He hated it, and I was rather disgusted with the classes... he finished the semester and went back to homeschooling in January. The Christmas holiday provided a nice break and starting in the New Year just felt easy and right. 

TBH, my son is also quite disappointed. The classes, he says, are not as engaging or as challenging as the homeschool online classes i found for him. He feels there's a lot of busy work; i disagree actually and think the actual work isfairly worthwhile. Now, I dontknow what happens in class itself, but he finds it tedious.

I  can certainly relate as my oldest has opted for a charter Montessori middleschool this year. It has been bittersweet, to say the least. I don't know yet whether this is hard just for the sake of hard. I will say that I think there is more to what you (we) are going through than what folks go through when they send their kids off to kindergarten; its more than just having to let go, it is a much more drastic change in lifestyle and in family dynamic than it is with a younger child and after having spent YEARS homeschooling. 

Wishing you peace!

Edited by fairy4tmama
  • Like 4

Just remember we are here for hugs, vents and solutions.

It's always nice to see your posts because I feel like you, me, and some others here are a mini community with 13-14yos with pretty much similar values, like our kids kinda sorta "virtually grew up together" if you kwim.

Have replied on your other thread. Take care!

:grouphug:

Edited by quark
  • Like 7

it's really hard to get used to new schools and schedules etc.!!!

Is there any place where you could gain some ease to achieve less exhaustion, more cuddle time?

Do you and dh have to run 3 businesses? Could you give one up or have a business manager or other help?

Could ds1 stick out the year at his current school and then decide next year about CC, homeschool, online school, or continuing with the current school?  Could any class be dropped  so as to give less homework/more cuddle movie time--at least maybe on weekends?

If you scheduled some family downtime / relaxation time as a priority, what could change to make that possible?

oh, and to be perfectly honest here--i am afraid to homeschool high school. i know i can do it. but i am afraid of the stress and the toll it will take on me, physcially and emotionally.

This is our first year of high school and I combined my 9th grader and 8th grader.  This has been one of the best school years ever.  And one of our most productive...  Don't be afraid!  (Lol - easier said than done  :tongue_smilie:  )

The moment I let go of the idea that high school needed to be "school at home", the stress evaporated.  I am giving my kids a big say in what they want to study and we are using a really unusual schedule (math, foreign language + one course at a time).  Like I said, this has been one of our best school years so far.  I'm doing what fits our family, not what other people think is rigorous...or what I think colleges want to see.  (That was 90% of the stress.)  

• Like 6

It's always nice to see your posts because I feel like you, me, and some others here are a mini community with 13-14yos with pretty much similar values, like our kids kinda sorta "virtually grew up together" if you kwim.

:iagree:   I've been posting on here for about 7-8 years (although I changed my username about halfway through).  I love reading everybody's posts and following how their kids are doing!  

• Like 4

just checked--looks like you can only attend cc begining the summer before 10th

What they have posted on their website may be different than what happens on the ground, worth wasting a phone call/chat with them, especially if you have test scores.

Speaking personally, it is has been hard for me to coordinate work with homeschooling. And my son is in classes almost exclusively. There's a different kind of handholding that happens at this age that I'm finding more time consuming than sitting down together at the table. On paper, it should be easy, but that's not how it's playing out here. Maybe I feel this way because we are just a few weeks in, maybe I will feel differently next week. Oh, and I go into the office once a week. The rest I can do from home. I don't have set hours. So it couldn't be easier work wise...

• Like 3

Just remember we are here for hugs, vents and solutions.

Have replied on your other thread. Take care!

:grouphug:

I feel this way too! I took off the board for a couple years after last baby was born, but came back this year, and was so happy to see so many of the old faces!

I am so sorry to see Halcyon going through such a tough time. We had to make the decision whether to stick with what we were are doing or to enroll in a high school somewhere this year, and decided to stay with hsing. But THIS is it. I am it as far as what she gets for a counselor and college help. Which is really scary, lol. I have panic from that side of it. No advice. I have no clue what I am doing. 

I do hope peace is found.

• Like 4

By 10th and 11th grade we threw in online programs and classes at the university. It became doable.  :grouphug:

This is what we are doing also.  His complete schedule is online or at the community college.  I feel like ds is getting a solid education and it is completely hands off for me.  He also gets to go with his stay up late get up late schedule that his body seems to like.  We also continue to get some flexibility that homeschooling allows since his classes are all Monday-Wednesday.    The additional bonus is that I am no longer responsible for his classes and he is independent of my ability.

• Like 4

I certainly have no advice, but I understand how you are feeling.

After two incredibly challenging years topped by a fast, hard, and wholly unexpected cross-country move, I put my kindergartner in the public school and my preschooler in preschool/extended care and am only homeschooling my 3rd grader. Like you the bedtimes and lack of flexibility are hard for us, and I've had to accept that neither child will learn anything academically this year (endpoint goals for the year are below what my children were doing with me at home last year). But, I had to address my exhaustion and health/mental health challenges now so I can be a good mom/educator in the future.

I'm sorry things aren't going as well as you'd hoped, and Ihope you find the solution that is right for your family.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I feel this way too! I took off the board for a couple years after last baby was born, but came back this year, and was so happy to see so many of the old faces!

I am so sorry to see Halcyon going through such a tough time. We had to make the decision whether to stick with what we were are doing or to enroll in a high school somewhere this year, and decided to stay with hsing. But THIS is it. I am it as far as what she gets for a counselor and college help. Which is really scary, lol. I have panic from that side of it. No advice. I have no clue what I am doing. 

I do hope peace is found.

THIS!

i am panicked, to be honest. and (to be honest again) I dont really want to homeschool a high schooler. There are zero secular support groups around here that have enough high schoolers, I am worried about him being glued to online classes (he prefers them). I dont know how i will manage driving him to cc, to afterschool activities if he decides to continue them, manage standardized testing deadlines and college deadlines and requirements....ugh.

We just spoke again today and he said 'i know you're avoiding talking about this because you dont want me to homeschool high school, but I am really unhappy." :( 

I dont know what to  do.

:confused1:

I told him that if he comes home in December, he needs to be a full and active leader of his own education. Here's what we came up with:

Math: either AoPS Intermediate Algebra or Pre-Calc or Wilson Hill Pre Calc

Science :thinkwell biology independent

Writing: creative writing with WTM Academy or Honors Comp with Wilson Hill if they let him in midway or landry academy composition.

American Government through edx (Harvard University)

Spanish: ?? not sure probably use breaking the barrier, which we own.

Art: I would sign him up for classes at a nearby art studio

He is taking AP Human Geography now, and I want to find an online course for him to take that will allow him to continue studying for this. Maybe it will have to wait untiil next year. He doesn't LOVE the class but I think it's very beneficial.

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 5

THIS!

i am panicked, to be honest. and (to be honest again) I dont really want to homeschool a high schooler. There are zero secular support groups around here that have enough high schoolers, I am worried about him being glued to online classes (he prefers them). I dont know how i will manage driving him to cc, to afterschool activities if he decides to continue them, manage standardized testing deadlines and college deadlines and requirements....ugh.

We just spoke again today and he said 'i know you're avoiding talking about this because you dont want me to homeschool high school, but I am really unhappy." :(

I dont know what to  do.

:confused1:

I don't know if this is helpful or not (since our kids are the same age, I'm posting).

1.  We don't have to worry about applying to college any time soon.  They're only Freshmen.  I gave up the idea of graduating early.  We will find *something* to do (lol).  My daughter would just sit and read all day - for years - if I let her.

2.  ACT and SAT are a ways off, too.  Heck, I don't think they even have to take them if the kids are starting at cc.  I plan to give my kids a practice test later and just see how they do.  We'll figure it out from there.

3.  We significantly cut down on extracurriculars and this is turning out to be one of our best school years.  And I know how hard it is to quit something.  My son ranked #7 in the world in this sport and we just up and quit (to everyone's shock and the teacher's anger).  It needed to be done - he was having injuries that weren't going away, the sport was consuming an incredible amount of time, we were doing less schoolwork because of the sport, the pressure was creating a ton of stress for him (he's a perfectionist)...  I put him in a no-stress, laid-back Homeschool PE program and he's having a blast - goofing off with the other teen boys, throwing footballs, playing tag, having fun.  No scholarship or bragging rights, but he's happy. 

4.  We don't belong to a support group or co-op, either.  It feels like everyone is homeschooling an 8 year-old.  I know the feeling...

5.  We're not going to do cc classes until they can drive themselves to cc and even then, we are thinking about not doing dual enrollment.  I'm thinking about just letting the high school years be high school.  My oldest 4 want to be doctors, so I don't think I'm doing them any favor letting them do college early.  That field is ridiculously competitive as it is.  We've been focusing on volunteer work.  My oldest has two volunteer jobs that have been life-changing for her.   

• Like 5

I don't know if this is helpful or not (since our kids are the same age, I'm posting).

1.  We don't have to worry about applying to college any time soon.  They're only Freshmen.  I gave up the idea of graduating early.  We will find *something* to do (lol).  My daughter would just sit and read all day - for years - if I let her.

2.  ACT and SAT are a ways off, too.  Heck, I don't think they even have to take them if the kids are starting at cc.  I plan to give my kids a practice test later and just see how they do.  We'll figure it out from there.

3.  We significantly cut down on extracurriculars and this is turning out to be one of our best school years.  And I know how hard it is to quit something.  My son ranked #7 in the world in this sport and we just up and quit (to everyone's shock and the teacher's anger).  It needed to be done - he was having injuries that weren't going away, the sport was consuming an incredible amount of time, we were doing less schoolwork because of the sport, the pressure was creating a ton of stress for him (he's a perfectionist)...  I put him in a no-stress, laid-back Homeschool PE program and he's having a blast - goofing off with the other teen boys, throwing footballs, playing tag, having fun.  No scholarship or bragging rights, but he's happy. 

4.  We don't belong to a support group or co-op, either.  It feels like everyone is homeschooling an 8 year-old.  I know the feeling...

5.  We're not going to do cc classes until they can drive themselves to cc and even then, we are thinking about not doing dual enrollment.  I'm thinking about just letting the high school years be high school.  My oldest 4 want to be doctors, so I don't think I'm doing them any favor letting them do college early.  That field is ridiculously competitive as it is.  We've been focusing on volunteer work.  My oldest has two volunteer jobs that have been life-changing for her.   

Thank you so much for posting. This is so helpful and lets me feel i can breathe a little, kwim?

My oldest (the one we're talking about) LIKES to be home...that's part of the problem. (or is it? see how I am questioning myself) I worry that I am allowing him to do what's easiest, which is to stay home and take online classes. Not that the online classes are easy--they're actually going to be quite a bit harder than the IB courses he is doing now. His courses in 8th grade were more challenging than the courses he is taking now--so I am not talking about academics.

I am talking about the challenge of being in an uncomfortable place, but maybe a place that allows you to grow emotionally. How can I know for sure (I know I can't) that he doesn't want to continue attending school because it's...different? Because it's about being around lots of different people, managing different teachers' expectations, doing boring stuff sometimes...how do I know I am not just coddling him and acceding to his wishes for the familiar?

Of course, I can't know that. But I am concerned that I have set up a pattern where he does things that are comfortable for him--making him unable or unwilling to do things that are uncomfortable. I am not saying the school is great; DH met all the teachers and was singularly unimpressed. And my son really does care a great deal about the academics, and does feel they are sub-par compared to the homeschool online teachers he has had (AoPs? Wilson HIll? They're SO much better!)

If he does return to homeschooling, he will be able to resume Tae Kwon Do, whcih has been very hard to fit into our schedule. But in terms of meeting friends, or his "tribe"? That won't happen. :(

• Like 2

If he does return to homeschooling, he will be able to resume Tae Kwon Do, whcih has been very hard to fit into our schedule. But in terms of meeting friends, or his "tribe"? That won't happen. :(

You know, from what I can see, a lot of kids don't find their tribe in high school.  Most of dds "tribal" friends - her horse friends and her theater friends - feel lonely or out of step with the general high school population, and they find their tribe through their extracurriculars.  I'm usually advising dd that high school is no place to find a tribe, but that after that, when you are with people who have self-selected their interests, (like in college) it will be much easier. Just saying, going to high school is no guarantee he'd find what you want for him. 

• Like 10

So reading the follow up posts, my thoughts are that I don't believe making kids suffer for suffering's sake, especially if there's options. But i'm wondering about the intensity of his unhappiness, and if homeschooling is a sort of avoidance behavior. I mean if the academics will be as hard as before, if not harder, clearly he is not looking to slack. But what is it about school that is making him so unhappy?

I also think, and this will be unpopular here, that your own work/life preferences need to count for something. I am counting on my DS going to high school (and I think it would be great for him, too) and it would really cramp my own plans if given a perfectly decent high school trajectory he decided to stay home instead. I did not sign up for optimizing every single life experience this child has...

• Like 5

How can I know for sure (I know I can't) that he doesn't want to continue attending school because it's...different? Because it's about being around lots of different people, managing different teachers' expectations, doing boring stuff sometimes...how do I know I am not just coddling him and acceding to his wishes for the familiar?

Is there any opportunity for him to work part time anywhere? Your son is still young but I am thinking along the lines of in life one has to take some bad with the good. For example, in college you can't pick only the lecturers you like, you have to deal with the crappy ones too.

I think some kids naturally transition from a customised education to dealing with teachers and classmates and courses they rather not deal with. While some find it harder.

For example, my kids have a new german teacher this year as their former teacher couldn't teach. My oldest was sulky the last two weeks when I pick up my boys. He said it was boring but he did learned. I told him to give his new teacher some grace to find her stride as she step in to help last minute. I do think it is a good experience though because they will encounter substitute teachers now and then and not all teachers will be interesting.

• Like 2

Is there any opportunity for him to work part time anywhere? Your son is still young but I am thinking along the lines of in life one has to take some bad with the good. For example, in college you can't pick only the lecturers you like, you have to deal with the crappy ones too.

Yes. And it might be a requirement of him homeschooling--to work. He can work as a bag boy at Publix where he will have to learn to deal with not-so-fun stuff (although it seems like a nice enough job!) He is old enough for that.

• Like 2

FWIW, my friend's dh is a college professor. They're  pondering the dual enrollment path that so many hsers stick their kids in. And they're heading away from it. They're thoughts are "What's the hurry? Enjoy high school level work. Challenge them where they are."  Many parents dual enroll for several reasons. Many of my friends feel their kids work better for other teachers than for them (apparently this isn't an issue for y our son) Many kids are not self directed, self motivated  learners aiming for a high standard. (apparently this isn't true for your son) So don't worry so much about DE. It may not be a good fit for your son. Especially not RIGHT NOW!

• Like 3

FWIW, my friend's dh is a college professor. They're  pondering the dual enrollment path that so many hsers stick their kids in. And they're heading away from it. They're thoughts are "What's the hurry? Enjoy high school level work. Challenge them where they are."  Many parents dual enroll for several reasons. Many of my friends feel their kids work better for other teachers than for them (apparently this isn't an issue for y our son) Many kids are not self directed, self motivated  learners aiming for a high standard. (apparently this isn't true for your son) So don't worry so much about DE. It may not be a good fit for your son. Especially not RIGHT NOW!

Hey now. :D

Both of my daughters did community college instead of high school (they were not dual-enrolled; they were college students). Many of the lower division courses in college are a repeat of high school, so we didn't see the point in doing high school twice. We were not in a hurry. We did not "stick our kids" in the "dual enrollment path." My children worked as well for me as for anyone else.

It never occurred to me that I might have to defend my choice to do community college. Weird. :001_smile:

• Like 1

Both of my daughters did community college instead of high school (they were not dual-enrolled; they were college students). Many of the lower division courses in college are a repeat of high school, so we didn't see the point in doing high school twice. We were not in a hurry. We did not "stick our kids" in the "dual enrollment path." My children worked as well for me as for anyone else.

It never occurred to me that I might have to defend my choice to do community college. Weird. :001_smile:

No offense meant.

I may still do that with some of my younger kids. We did AP with my kids which is kind of the same thing. And I stuck my two oldest in online schools! So there is that!

Community college is a great opportunity for many kids; but you don't HAVE to do that. My point was that many kids do it for many different reasons (the ones I listed are the two most common ones that I've heard from my friends) and if it doesn't apply to your kids, that's fine. If you don't want to, it's okay.

I didn't mean any offense. I just see too many high school parents assuming it's the only way to do things, and it's okay if it's not right for your kids.

Sorry. I'm not writing very clearly these days.

• Like 2

I'm totally not offended but IME, there is no one "high school level work" or even "college level work" in America due to lack of national standards. So what is high school level some place is beginning middle school elsewhere and one's college degree is maybe worth a high school diploma some other place. It's actually a little bit terrifying. 

• Like 3

Getting an IB degree is a specific advantage in some fields.  Maybe evaluate that before deciding?

My inclination would be to have him ride out the year at school.  That gets him a record, and it bridges him to where he has the option of CC dual enrollment, OR of continuing, OR of coming home.  Options are amazing.

Also, on a side note, for the Spanish you could have him do the Concordia Villages immersion program next summer, to get a year of high school credit in 4 weeks.  I have friends who have used that extemely effectively, and it's a lot easier to get an 'ear' for the language in an immersion program than in classes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is what we are doing, as well, for Son 2. We may end up following the same path for all the kids. Who knows.