Menu

What will you be doing?

Violet Crown

I have plenty of shows on Tivo.  I rarely, if ever, watch live TV anymore.  And I am certainly not changing that for the debates!

Just saw that it starts at 9pm.  I go to sleep by 9:30 these days as I have to get up for work at 5:30.  

Edited by DawnM

Yes. Yes, you're the only one. I really wish you wouldn't do that to yourself, but I'm here for you if you need to talk.

Oh, you'll be hearing from me later. I wouldn't watch if DH could miss it, but he can't. So I will have alcohol on hand, and attempt to stay in a bubble of denial, where I am happiest.

Actually, I've never watched a presidential debate.  Always seemed pointless to me.  We all know what they stand for.  The debate is just to yak on and on about it.

But for the first time ever, I think I'm actually going to watch.  I want to know exactly what was said, in context, because I get tired of hearing it 2nd hand and edited down for me by biased news media.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

Kids have drama class tonight. When I get back I'll watch the new Big Bang episode (recorded because I'll be home after it airs). Then I'll go to bed.

TBBT here too. We DVR and start watching once there's enough recorded to fast forward through all the political ads.

Although if I can find a hilarious debate bingo card online, I might record it and play later.

• Like 1

TBBT here too. We DVR and start watching once there's enough recorded to fast forward through all the political ads.

Although if I can find a hilarious debate bingo card online, I might record it and play later.

One of the comedy clubs in our area is having a watch party with commentary by comedians and bingo. That would be fun to go to with DH if we had a babysitter.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I'm surprised so many won't be watching.

I'll be watching and evaluating and probably weeping...

I never watch debates.  It's not just this election.  I prefer to pick my candidate based upon facts and positions I investigate (from their past) and read about rather than how they might look or act in 90 minutes on stage.

I'm of the opinion the US has picked some pretty poor presidents in the past based on their TV "look" or sound bites rather than who they really are.  I fast forward political commercials too.

Also, by the time debates occur, if someone doesn't know who they are voting for already, I'd really want to know what they are voting on as the issues and the candidate stances on them are pretty well known.

Debates can have more value before the primaries, but even then, I prefer facts about who they have been rather than short bits answered on TV.

• Like 7

This is solid strategy, one I wish I could employ.

I do intend to polish off my bottle of pinot noir tonight instead of watching the debate.

I have some Mike's Hard (with Passionfruit!) in the fridge. It's a date.

• Like 2

Why wouldn't I watch the debate? I hate one candidate and am wary of the other but one way or another someone will win this contest and control the country. Sticking my head in the sand doesn't fix that, unfortunately.

I am still pretty low on media exposure but the debate and some specific answers I'm expecting to come from it are one of the things I don't abstain from.

Unfortunately I will be driving instead of watching the debate live because I'm helping with childcare at a church event tonight :p

Why wouldn't I watch the debate? I hate one candidate and am wary of the other but one way or another someone will win this contest and control the country. Sticking my head in the sand doesn't fix that, unfortunately.

I posted why I don't watch debates in Post #30.  It's hardly due to sticking my head in the sand.  I happen to think my way is better.  YMMV

I posted why I don't watch debates in Post #30. It's hardly due to sticking my head in the sand. I happen to think my way is better. YMMV

I was responding to the OP, not anything down thread :)

Hmm... I actually agree with your presmise and I don't pick candidates by debate either, but I do watch them. Unfortunately most people pick a candidate and then hunt for justification, a la Scott Adams' theory. Candidates with the best policy almost never win unless they package it with great care AND make people feel good, regardless of whether they are *actually* advocating good or healthy policy - and that is usually at a primary level. The general debates, in my opinion, are more about watching how the candidates react to one another and what is interpreted by the public from what is actually said (sometimes wildly different). I suppose for the undecided voter (if any really truly are undecided, Scott Adams again) it looks a bit different, but the analysis point for a general debate aren't generally about changing minds so much as communication and subtext.

I love Dilbert for the observation of the human condition, and because my husband and Dilbert (and Dilbert's horrible workplace) are hilariously alike, but the aforementioned blog has had some completely fascinating discussions in the last six months about the election that make sense of the polls and public sentiment in a way that politicos only wish they intuitively understood. It's really good reading for anyone looking to avoid the debate for whatever reason :rofl:

http://blog.dilbert.com

I never watch debates.  It's not just this election.  I prefer to pick my candidate based upon facts and positions I investigate (from their past) and read about rather than how they might look or act in 90 minutes on stage.

I'm of the opinion the US has picked some pretty poor presidents in the past based on their TV "look" or sound bites rather than who they really are.  I fast forward political commercials too.

Also, by the time debates occur, if someone doesn't know who they are voting for already, I'd really want to know what they are voting on as the issues and the candidate stances on them are pretty well known.

Debates can have more value before the primaries, but even then, I prefer facts about who they have been rather than short bits answered on TV.

In every other presidential election, by this time, I do know who I'm voting for (I've voted on both sides of the fence) but this year....I just don't know how I'm going to vote. Certainly not for one and most likely not for the other one either.

I like watching the debates so I know what's actually happened. Always interesting to me the view and spin the media has about something I watched. I don't always agree with what they are saying.

I'm going to spend my evening recovering from gathering information on universities for ds to transfer to that offer aerospace engineering. (cost, transfer credits/requirements, application deadlines, fafsa, etc.)  our local uni - is the preferred choice (good program, and in-state tuition) - but must have backups.  stanford is geographically the next closest school . . . . uh, no.  after california - it's colorado.  looking more like his backups are going to be florida (even he had NASA before his gf on the pro list . . . she did make clear to  him, she does NOT want to live in florida! - she's from florida.)

and when I'm done with him - I get to look for 2ds, whose doing accounting so many in-state options.

and deal with dudeling having a meltdown tantrum because 1) he was supposed to stay aftr school for tutorial, and 2) I wasn't there to pick him up when school got out because he was supposed to stay after for tutorial, and 3) - his case manager called me to say he tore up his notice, so doesn't even know what room he's supposed to go to.

I'm not sure if I feel like I stuck my finger in a light socket because I've been doing this most of the day and it's taken it out of me - or because I didn't take any adrenal cortex supplement today (I need  just a tiny bit. . . )

• Like 1

Monday Night Football. I don't cate if it is the worst game of the decade (it might be...) I will watch every play and every down with rapt attention to block out the sinking feeling I get during presidential debates.

And beer. To make the game go by more quickly.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm going to spend my evening recovering from gathering information on universities for ds to transfer to that offer aerospace engineering. (cost, transfer credits/requirements, application deadlines, fafsa, etc.)  our local uni - is the preferred choice (good program, and in-state tuition) - but must have backups.  stanford is geographically the next closest school . . . . uh, no.  after california - it's colorado.  looking more like his backups are going to be florida (even he had NASA before his gf on the pro list . . . she did make clear to  him, she does NOT want to live in florida! - she's from florida.)

and when I'm done with him - I get to look for 2ds, whose doing accounting so many in-state options.

<snip>>

Are you looking at ERAU?     I would like to take some of their free MOOC courses, if they offer them again. A spinoff of that is that, I now have ERAU as a possibility for DD, because her interests at the moment are Solar Engineering and working for NASA.   They also  have a campus in AZ...     http://erau.edu/

Has he considered Mechanical Engineering?

I will watch the debate tonight, but do not have any Beer or Ice Cream  or Popcorn  in the house, to help me survive 90 minutes of them.

• Like 1

Are you looking at ERAU?     I would like to take some of their free MOOC courses, if they offer them again. A spinoff of that is that, I now have ERAU as a possibility for DD, because her interests at the moment are Solar Engineering and working for NASA.   They also  have a campus in AZ...     http://erau.edu/

Has he considered Mechanical Engineering?

I will watch the debate tonight, but do not have any Beer or Ice Cream  or Popcorn  in the house, to help me survive 90 minutes of them.

yes, we are.  he even spoke with someone recently who went there.  it's pricey . . . I'm not going to care what costs are, you apply, then find out what your aid and scholarships are - then you know how much it will actually cost.

I don't think he's interested in mechanical  (UT @ arlington offers mechanical and aerospace engineer.  we were looking at that because 2dd lives in the dfw area.  she even works in Arlington.) -   praying he gets into UW (instate tuition and live at home.).  we'll do what he needs to do, and it's in the Lord's hands. right now, just the best fit for him - that we can afford. 

My sil called and asked if she could watch it at our house.    please .. kill me now.

I had a thought for those of us who dont' drink.   get a bag of halloween candy, and every time __, you have to put one back.  you can eat what's left when it's over.. . if there is any left.  (which is kind of the point.  why should I kill my blood sugar levels?)