Menu

Broken toe(s)

Cecropia

Yep, it's been that kind of Monday...

Feels like I broke the "ring" toe on my left foot. Maybe the pinky and the middle toe, too. I watched them bend as I stubbed my foot and it wasn't pretty!!

I have a newborn to carry around and a house full of stairs... At least I can still drive.

The problem is that I can't get to urgent care today or tomorrow without Dh taking time off. How long can I can wait before being seen, does anyone know? There is no broken skin and the toes aren't sitting in an unnatural position.

I'd stay off it as much as possible today and for the next couple days. If you have access to a boot cast, or something similar, where can walk around without having to bend your toes on that foot, you probably wouldn't need any medical care at all. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I just broke my pinky toe a few weeks ago, and my Internet research led me to the conclusion that if it's not your big toe, and if it isn't a major break (toe sticking out at unnatural angle or bone protruding through skin) then there's no need to see a doctor at all. They will just give you a walking boot and possibly wrap the toes to each other (which isn't even usually necessary). You can buy a walking boot at your local pharmacy or on Amazon. They say it should start feeling better in a week, and heal in 6-8 weeks. You probably won't need the boot the whole time--I wore regular but loose fitting shoes about a week and a half later.

Of course, if going would make you feel better, and you don't mind spending the money, you can still visit UrgentCare!

Edit: Take anti-inflammatory meds (like Aleve), soak it in a pot of ice water when you can, and keep your foot elevated above your heart when lying down to prevent swelling. I hope you don't have a toddler in the house...mine unintentionally stomped on my foot about two dozen times.

Edited by Epicurean
  • Like 3

I waited 16 days. I broke my 2nd toe and severely bruised my big toe when a 5 pound metal plate weight dropped off a barstool onto my bare foot.  I finally went to the doctor to make sure I wasn't doing more damage by continuing to walk/jog & hike.  The break was stable and I was doing no further damage and nothing else was done. 

• Like 1

I've broken several toes p, but only went to the dr once. I did take my DD in when she broke a toe when she was 13.

Unless is is way out of whack, all the will do anyway is splint it or just buddy tape it.

I never bothered with a boot, but I did have to buy a pair of shoes a couple of sizes larger to accommodate the swelling.

The dr can give you the good pain medicine if you need it. Broken bones always hurt worse at night,

• Like 1

I've broken several toes p, but only went to the dr once. I did take my DD in when she broke a toe when she was 13.

Unless is is way out of whack, all the will do anyway is splint it or just buddy tape it.

I never bothered with a boot, but I did have to buy a pair of shoes a couple of sizes larger to accommodate the swelling.

The dr can give you the good pain medicine if you need it. Broken bones always hurt worse at night,

:iagree:

Same here. I just tape them if super painful and try to stay off of my feet as much as possible when this has happened.