Menu

Teens grading own daily work?

I'm curious if you allow your teens to check their own daily work?

I've been having ds, 16, check & correct his daily problem sets for math (Derek Owens, answers in back of book) & physics (clover creek, answers online)

Homework & quizzes are sent directly to his to online teachers for grading & recording.

I'm beginning to suspect that "I" need to step in & check the daily work, then give it back to him for correction. He's doing well in his classes on everything he turns in, but seems to be skimming through daily work corrections ( there's no way he's getting everything 100% correct on the first try).

As the year progresses & things get more difficult, he needs to be doing his best on daily work too, to learn the concepts well.

Thanks

I don't. I like to be on top of what type of problems they are having. Occasionally I will have. Ds recheck math corrections in the solutions manual or have dd13 check her grammar if I need to help another child during our meeting. But this is rare and I ask to see the mistakes.

Honestly, in my experience, the teens I've known who have had to do this have usually ended up cutting corners or being dishonest. At the best, the mom hasn't noticed huge math gaps until months later.

• Like 3

I admit to letting dd#1 check her own Latin daily work. She checks some of her other work, but I go over it once per week (like math). It is important to keep on top of their work for the same reason freesia indicated.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree.. I think it's too easy for him to start slacking off.

Was hoping to hand off that responsibility this year, but I don't think he's ready.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Now, his community college class, They have 1 homework due a week & submit it online. That one, I just check in with him daily to be sure he's working on it & to tell me once it's submitted, but there's nothing I can help him with on it anyways (programming class) & nothing to correct on a daily basis.

Nope.  His math is outsourced.  But everything else we go over.  I also quiz him orally on stuff periodically to make sure he is actually doing the reading/work.

With the class I just hound him daily.  Did you do your math?  Did you?  Hah...hah.. LOL  He's been keeping up and it's now kind of a joke that I hound him. 

When oldest did Clover Creek Physics, I let him check his answers and if they are different he would check where he went wrong and then I check his working when I am free. So it saves me checking immediately and he gets immediate feedback instead of waiting for me. He actually does every question in the book, even those that are not assigned so I have to grade for him for those anyway.

For math, my kids do AoPS online classes but I do look at their homework workings whenever I am free in the day to make sure they are not guessing.

My oldest two check their daily math assignments with the answer key and report how many they got wrong. They are responsible for telling me if they made simple errors or if they don't understand a concept. They are around lesson 25 now, so they've learned that they need to ask me to explain a concept more to them until they are comfortable with it because Saxon has a test every five lessons and they need to know how to do it by then or it will affect their grade. Since they take science together, we go over quizzes and tests together. All other subjects are either discussion based or writing assignments. It's going well now, but it took some getting used to.

Mine takes almost all classes at the CC. Initially, the first year mostly, I checked that he was keeping up and I still help him set up his time management system. But the actual work, no, I don't check it daily. This could be because he is naturally the sharing type and will tell me lots of things like, "Mom, I think I'm going to do X first and then finish up Y". Or "Mom, I got _% for the quiz on ___________" once he gets the email about a graded assignment/ quiz. He's always verbalizing his thoughts.

I'm not one to want him to get 100% on everything though. He doesn't. Many of his assignments come back in the mid-high 90%s on first try. There are always a few 100%s but I don't expect him to be submitting fully correct assignments because I think there's value in him discovering ways to improve (on his own) and taking pride for that work himself. It's rare for him but if something did come back lower than 90% he usually tells me (even if I don't ask) and we talk about some reasons why. Usually he realizes they were careless errors. And he messes up in other ways and also does not learn from those mistakes the first few times but about a semester later, it's not an issue anymore.

The CC system is good for him because it's set up in such a way that as long as you are a student who cares about your work (and I ensure that he inputs deadlines into Google Calendar every start of semester), the progress/ learning is consistent. He doesn't procrastinate that much (unless it's a long essay) and keeps up on coursework every day so when it's time for finals, he doesn't get overly stressed.

This semester, he is also handling 2 online AP classes. Now for those, I do check in about once or twice a week because they have so many little parts. For one of them, I have a parent account that I rarely check. But I could do that if I was concerned.

I find this to be good practice for college life.

If I was going to set up a system, I really like the way his lit professor does it. He gives weekly deadlines for essay drafts. Students bring the work to class and he provides quick feedback and then they do peer review. DS brings it home, works on it and then submits again the next week. They do this for about 5 weeks and then the essay is due the 6th week. It sets up a very good system for consistent work as well as getting good feedback right from the start vs. sweating furiously over an essay and then submitting it blind or worse, procrastinating until 2 days before the essay is due.

Could you set your own weekly deadlines for what you would like to see done?

• Like 2

Thank you for all the input.

Quark- yes, I think I'll check in with his work a couple times a week, for now.

He's getting everything done, for sure, I check in daily as to what he needs to work on.

It's mainly the self grading of the daily math & physics problems I want to look at perhaps not daily, but every few days. As long as he keeps doing well on the graded work, I'm assuming he's doing well on the daily stuff.

• Like 1

We haven't used Clover Creek but I know that with Derek, it's very easy to shoot him a quick email to just check in on how DS is doing with the material. Derek is really sweet and thoughtful about these things. I used to write him about 1x every few months just to see if there was something he felt DS should improve and his feedback was always very encouraging and supportive of the student's learning needs.

• Like 1

I do have both of mine check a lot of their daily work. I have a conversation with them about it like if they understood what they did wrong, etc. Even my 12 yr old will  tell me when she feels she needs to re do a full lesson and have me work with her some more on it before moving on in math.

I do check up on everything at least once a week, but I stagger it that way. Like today I went over a week's worth of dd14's English with her. Another day I will go over all of the writing assignments. Math is done with me 1-2 times a week in our 4 day schoolweek, and every assignment is checked by one of us before moving on to a new one.  My dd12 could never do writing on her own. Anything that requires reading/writing I do with her daily, so she never checks English or spelling or writing or outlining or Latin. For her the extent is math. For dd14, she can check Science and Math and Logic (just about anything with concrete answers in a workbook) on her own. I will also have her check her first Latin translations before finishing a page to make sure she is on the right track instead of doing an entire page wrong. It is just easier for her to do that on her own at the beginning of each translation page. Then at least once a week, I sit and go over every translation sentence together, working them out with her.

So it works for us, but they aren't completely on their own with anything.