Menu

"This is Us " Could have spoilers.

Miss Peregrine

I just finished the second episode...I didn't see that coming at all! Yup, they got me. Makes for an interesting story though.

I didn't catch that the dad was a different person until I read this thread. And to know that she married the guy Jack was venting to. I think this will be an interesting show.

• Like 1

I miss Parenthood! I thought the acting in Parenthood was really good. This show seems to have mediocre acting. It's just not as real. I might continue to watch it hoping it will get better but except for the plot twists it seems a little flat.

I totally agree. For me, it's no Parenthood. I will watch a few more episodes, but I'm not committed yet.

• Like 1

This was the clue I mentioned upthread. In E01 you see Randall's emails. He clicks on the unread one "Good News" which is that the detective found his bio father. But if you pause it, there is one that was read already that's from Kevin and says, "It's our birthday, Bro". I didn't see any email from Kate, but she was effusive when Kevin was on the phone with Randall in E02. Maybe she called him and I'm reading too much into it. Wait, of course I am, lol! I have PMO = Post Movie Obsession. Happened when I saw Frances Foster Jenkins with a friend. I read about her for hours the next day.

Loved the writing when Mom tells Dad to stop messing up their score.

I think things are good between Randall and Kate. If she was telling Kevin "you're all I have now" I would think it's because they live near by and can have a different kind of close relationship than she can with Randall and even her mom.

When Kevin called Randall and said he should have called when everything went down, Randall said, "that's ok. Kate's kept me up to speed." So it sounds like they talk frequently.

• Like 1

I think things are good between Randall and Kate. If she was telling Kevin "you're all I have now" I would think it's because they live near by and can have a different kind of close relationship than she can with Randall and even her mom.

When Kevin called Randall and said he should have called when everything went down, Randall said, "that's ok. Kate's kept me up to speed." So it sounds like they talk frequently.

Thanks. I totally forgot about that. I probably need to watch each episode twice.

If only I could rewind life when I miss something.  :lol:

• Like 2

I watched and cried. My prediction is dad is deceased and it wasn't alcoholism. I can't see the kids 1, talking about dad so positively if he drank himself into divorce, and 2. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't still be wearing the necklace, and 3. Miguel was at the bar with him. I doubt she'd fall for best friend with the same habits. But, as pointed out above, it's more likely friend and her mourned together and fell in love. 

My other theory is that it had to happen when the kids were older, like teens at least, as I doubt they'd refer to him so lovingly if he died when they under 10. This also means they do not see Miguel as dad, even though he is grandpa.

I caught the first twist, but not the second. In the first photo, they pan into a box marked photos -75-79 (I think those years). So I had a clue it wasn't a modern timeline. 

I don't know if I'll keep watching or wait until the first season is over and watch. I don't like cliffhangers without being able to press Next episode right away. 

• Like 4

I do not like some things in the storyline. I do not like that their baby died so they just brought home another baby from the nursery. Also, when Randall decided to go after his birthdad, and his birthdad obviously had some serious issues, but he just invites the guy in to live with him and his children. And he clearly had a lot of anger toward his birthdad that he felt the need to throw at him. His birthdad, in such a drugged state, still managed to give his son a great life, by handing him over to strangers in a safe place. Too many newborns end up dead in these situations. I just do not find any of the story believable. It is fine for entertainment, but the storyline leaves a lot to be desired. Replacement baby? no.

• Like 1

I caught the first twist, but not the second. In the first photo, they pan into a box marked photos -75-79 (I think those years). So I had a clue it wasn't a modern timeline.

I am such a dummy! I saw that box, too and thought, "why would a young couple have photos from the 70s? Wouldn't their parents keep them?" Ha! They are the parents!

To be fair, we don't know yet how exactly they wound up with Randall. I don't think it was an, oh-well-let's-just-grab-this-kid-instead kind of thing. I suspect that will be an episode at some point.

But I hear you on the far-fetched storylines.

Toward the end of the first episode, they show the dad looking in the nursery window and seeing Randall as a newborn. Someone tells the dad that he had been left at a fire station. Later, they show the parents home with 3 newborns and the 3rd is Randall.

• Like 1

Toward the end of the first episode, they show the dad looking in the nursery window and seeing Randall as a newborn. Someone tells the dad that he had been left at a fire station. Later, they show the parents home with 3 newborns and the 3rd is Randall.

Right, but we still don't know what caused this couple who had just lost a son to adopt this baby. I also suspect it will be a future storyline.

• Like 1

Right, but we still don't know what caused this couple who had just lost a son to adopt this baby. I also suspect it will be a future storyline.

So, I thought the first episode *was* the storyline of why they adopted him...because they were expecting three, lost one and he was abandoned so they took him in. Was that not it?

• Like 4

So, I thought the first episode *was* the storyline of why they adopted him...because they were expecting three, lost one and he was abandoned so they took him in. Was that not it?

:iagree: Dad was adamant that they were leaving with three babies as they had three of everything. Whether or not it was an unselfish move to simply avoid grieving we don't know. It seemed like a momentary decision to fill the gap of a missing child. 

I should have used multi quote. I think it's E01 when Randall says (to his birth dad?) that his parents were at the hospital and they said, "it just felt right" [to adopt him].

Totally agreeing w/ the unbelievable thing, as my DH is very quick to point out, but I'm watching for entertainment value...at least for now. 

I agree with you, but I could still see an episode going through the parents making that decision. I could be wrong though!

• Like 1

I watched and cried. My prediction is dad is deceased and it wasn't alcoholism. I can't see the kids 1, talking about dad so positively if he drank himself into divorce, and 2. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't still be wearing the necklace, and 3. Miguel was at the bar with him. I doubt she'd fall for best friend with the same habits. But, as pointed out above, it's more likely friend and her mourned together and fell in love. 

My other theory is that it had to happen when the kids were older, like teens at least, as I doubt they'd refer to him so lovingly if he died when they under 10. This also means they do not see Miguel as dad, even though he is grandpa.

I don't know if I'll keep watching or wait until the first season is over and watch. I don't like cliffhangers without being able to press Next episode right away. 

Good thoughts here re: your theories about the dad's death.

ITA about watching w/o waiting. I didn't start watching Downton Abbey until this past spring and kept telling DH how great it was NOT to have to wait to see the next episode. Not comparing DA to TIU, just the binge watching I did. 

I don't know. I like to binge watch but I find that character development is much deeper when I wait. Maybe I just think about imaginary characters too much. Lol.

I am usually one to pick apart details in a show that are not authentic. I'm willing to overlook them for now because I could use an escape from reality. As long as it doesn't end up as a sci-fi, I'm good. :lol:

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 3

I don't know. I like to binge watch but I find that character development is much deeper when I wait. Maybe I just think about imaginary characters too much. Lol.

I am usually one to pick apart details in a show that are not authentic. I'm willing to overlook them for now because I could use an escape from reality. As long as it doesn't end up as a sci-fi, I'm good. :lol:

(((Soul Sister)))

• Like 1

How do you guys feel about Kevin? I'm having a hard time with him. He was SO mean to Randall growing up and he seems to be so dependent on Kate.  And when I heard he was making $3M a year on that show...I did not feel sorry for him for being stuck in a cheesy sitcom. Wah, wah.   So...convince me he's a character worth caring about. 

How do you guys feel about Kevin? I'm having a hard time with him. He was SO mean to Randall growing up and he seems to be so dependent on Kate.  And when I heard he was making $3M a year on that show...I did not feel sorry for him for being stuck in a cheesy sitcom. Wah, wah.   So...convince me he's a character worth caring about. 

The only thing we know so far is that it looks like he has everything, but he's deeply unhappy.  This happens with exceptionally pretty people a lot IME, they don't have many challenges so their (small) suffering expands to fit their entire lives.  Lack of perspective.  And he's also extraordinarily focused on what others think.  He got tired of people making fun of him, so he wanted out, and all he cares about is the opinion of others. Kate's his only grounding influence so far.

But chances are there will be some huge, painful backstories because that's what these shows do.

I loved the first episode, and liked the second, but I'm wary of it turning into Parenthood too.  Too much drama.

• Like 2

The only thing we know so far is that it looks like he has everything, but he's deeply unhappy.  This happens with exceptionally pretty people a lot IME, they don't have many challenges so their (small) suffering expands to fit their entire lives.  Lack of perspective.  And he's also extraordinarily focused on what others think.  He got tired of people making fun of him, so he wanted out, and all he cares about is the opinion of others. Kate's his only grounding influence so far.

But chances are there will be some huge, painful backstories because that's what these shows do.

I loved the first episode, and liked the second, but I'm wary of it turning into Parenthood too.  Too much drama.

I don't exactly agree that he got tired of people making fun of him- I didn't see any evidence of that. I think he's growing tired of not being a serious actor, but that's a whole different thing. Look at Robin Williams- when he was Mork he was strictly a comic actor.  To be taken seriously he had to take on different roles. It seemed like Kevin tried to do it all at once...take his sitcom where he was seen as just a pretty face and turn his character into one more serious. Not the way to do it. So I kind of see that as sloppy writing.   But in a way it would be a better story if he was tired of people making fun of him, because that's exactly what happened to Randall as a child and look at how he turned it around. So you're probably right that Kevin is tired of being made fun of...and I'm just reading too much into it. g 

I agree about Parenthood...I enjoyed it but there were many times I felt it was just TOO much drama. If they had dialed it back a little I would have liked it more. 

I am surprised by how much I like William. I didn't expect that.  I do NOT like Miguel. Dh thinks it's hysterical that I hate Miguel. 

SPOILER ALERT!

I haven't watched the entire second episode yet, but like it so far.

Did anyone else recognise Jess from Gilmore Girls?

I thought it was interesting how Kate was doing so well on her diet, but Kevin's problems were important enough for her to derail her diet. I think she is too unselfish and meets other people's needs before her own.

I haven't decided whether or not Kevin is a narcissist or not; I kind of don't blame him for not wanting to take his shirt off for the cheesy sitcom, but he handled the whole thing very badly, then rushed over for his sister for emotional support. She is on a date but drops everything for him (and she slept with her date waaay too soon, but that's a whole different conversation).

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

Is that Toby? Kate's boyfriend? He looked so familiar to me, but when I looked him up on imdb, nothing rang a bell. I think I saw the first episode of GG, but that was all. Maybe he was in that? Weird what my tiny brain remembers and how very much it doesn't!

SPOILER ALERT!

I haven't watched the entire second episode yet, but like it so far.

I thought it was interesting how Kate was doing so well on her diet, but Kevin's problems were important enough for her to derail her diet. I think she is too unselfish and meets other people's needs before her own.

I haven't decided whether or not Kevin is a narcissist or not; I kind of don't blame him for not wanting to take his shirt off for the cheesy sitcom, but he handled the whole thing very badly, then rushed over for his sister for emotional support. She is on a date but drops everything for him (and she slept with her date waaay too soon, but that's a whole different conversation).

Oh yeah. That opening scene I was like, "Team Jess, baby!" 

• Like 2

Is that Toby? Kate's boyfriend? He looked so familiar to me, but when I looked him up on imdb, nothing rang a bell. I think I saw the first episode of GG, but that was all. Maybe he was in that? Weird what my tiny brain remembers and how very much it doesn't!

No, he's Jack, the triplets' father.

• 4 weeks later...

Still watching w/ DH. The hubs was getting annoyed by Kevin's being so needy. I was confused by a flash forward scene at the end of the last episode re: William, but overall, I like it. Of course, my opinion might be colored by watching w/ DH. We have different tastes in what we watch, so it's fun when we both like something. 

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that we like Pittsburg teams (except for ice hockey, lol).

I like it. I do think it's a little far fetched, but I enjoy it. I like that it's tackling some different issues than shows like Parenthood.

I thought Kate's reluctance to enjoy watching football with Toby was a little strange (since she obviously likes him, and he's making a strong effort to treat her so well), but when she explained it, it made sense.

It's nice to see Sterling K. Brown again, although funny to see him with Beth, Tess, and Annie instead of Colonel Joan, Sara Elizabeth, and David. He does such a great range of emotions.

Did anyone notice that Kate in episode..I think it was two..referred to her and Kevin as twins? Maybe it was the third episode. It was the one where she sang at the nursing home and was about to do something in the janitor room when she answered the phone and ran to her brother. She told her boyfriend that he just didn't understand what being a twin was like.

• Like 1

I clicked on this thread wondering what everyone else thought of the show. I hadn't watched any of it but after reading your reviews I binged the first three episodes this morning before work.

I like it.

I've always enjoyed Mandy Moore and am thrilled she's in a serial show. I don't like the aged makeup they use on her and she doesn't move like an upper 60-mid 70s woman but I'll have to get over that.

I'm going to watch episode 4 & 5 this evening while packing for a camping trip. I've been looking forward to it all day.

• Like 3

I think the only part that is far fetched is the adoption of a black baby by a white family during that time. And that isn't too terribly far fetched.

I'm not sure what all else would be far fetched?

Well probably that she was able to carry triplets so far and that there weren't more complications with the delivery back then. But it's tv, I'm not expecting documentary accuracy.

SPOILER!!!!!!!

From the most recent episode!!!!

Turn back if you don't want a spoiler!!!!!

I was really annoyed by Randal and his wife's pregnancy "scare". Geez. They are very wealthy and healthy and in a good marriage. One more kid wasn't going to ruin their lives by any stretch of the imagination so the over done freak out and getting angry with each other just came across as ridiculous to me. But I have 11 kids under far less ideal circumstances, so that seemed like a very far fetched reaction to me.🙂

• Like 3

I think the only part that is far fetched is the adoption of a black baby by a white family during that time. And that isn't too terribly far fetched.

I'm not sure what all else would be far fetched?

Well probably that she was able to carry triplets so far and that there weren't more complications with the delivery back then. But it's tv, I'm not expecting documentary accuracy.

SPOILER!!!!!!!

From the most recent episode!!!!

Turn back if you don't want a spoiler!!!!!

I was really annoyed by Randal and his wife's pregnancy "scare". Geez. They are very wealthy and healthy and in a good marriage. One more kid wasn't going to ruin their lives by any stretch of the imagination so the over done freak out and getting angry with each other just came across as ridiculous to me. But I have 11 kids under far less ideal circumstances, so that seemed like a very far fetched reaction to me.🙂

I totally get what you are saying about their reaction.   

But I could see how some people are done at a certain number, want to get back to their career, or are just ready to move past the baby stage or whatever.  

• Like 1

I totally get what you are saying about their reaction.

But I could see how some people are done at a certain number, want to get back to their career, or are just ready to move past the baby stage or whatever.

Well yeah. Much as I love my kids, even the most devoted parent is happy to see diapers come to an end. 🙂