Menu

Conceptual Chemistry not working -UPDATE Thinkwell AP Chemistry

My son is doing okay with it BUT while he finds the (admittedly very easy) reading and video tests easy, he doesn't particularly enjoy it or feel he is learning a lot from it. Add to that the fact that my chemistry is not up to the level to teach highschool chemistry. So I am looking for another online course - I would prefer a course where there is a teacher he is responsible to, such as has to hand in papers/homework (for example like Derek Owens). If I was looking for the perfect course it would be self paced, not require joining a set lecture or chat group each week, and not require a specific lab set (we live in Turkey - getting something like that posted here is going to be near to impossible). So does such a course exist?

Edited by nobeatenpath

Might be too late to start Landry this year, but it might work. The teacher would have to understand your lab limitations. Some of the labs are virtual.

WTMA delayed section?? I don't know what the lab requirements are.

ETA: I just saw WTMA uses Conceptual Chemistry but also has a particular lab kit. If it looks good, they might let you into the delayed section but you'd have to explain your lab limitations.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Instead of starting a new thread - I have looked at the available free first two chapters of the Thinkwell AP Chemistry Course. I am thinking these are more appropriate for us but to be honest they are a lot easier than I was convinced AP Chemistry would be. Does the course considerably ramp up as it goes along in terms of difficulty, pace, expected level of work?

I have looked at the available free first two chapters of the Thinkwell AP Chemistry Course. I am thinking these are more appropriate for us but to be honest they are a lot easier than I was convinced AP Chemistry would be.

My kids are using this Thinkwell one as a spine and so far it is all multiple choice questions and not hard. http://www.thinkwell.com/student/product/chemistryap

We are not doing AP Chem exam for 2017 though so we are not using Thinkwell to prep but just to make sure chemistry gets done since my kids like a structured work plan. Have you look at the Dr Tang website as well as the AP Chem website? We intend to use the Dr Tang website, the Chang textbook and the AP Chem website's past papers to prep when my kids take the AP Chem exam probably in 2018 or 2019.

http://www.doctortang.com/AP%20Chemistry/units.htm

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/exam/exam_information/221837.html

• Like 2

Thinkwell was a bust here. Luckily I purchased through HSBC. It was just plain not enough. Ds would watch, take notes, go through the multiple choice and often get 80% or higher without being able to even demonstrate much understanding. It was just regurgitation, no real application. We went back to a textbook approach. I am not really thrilled with it, but it works, he does it without complaint, and he has to really understand the material this way.

I was hoping Thinkwell was the answer to our science woes. Major bummer

• Like 2