Menu

yogurt and gi benefits. A Q about sugar...

Tap

Does it really matter if a person eats yogurt that is sweetened if:

1. They are trying to see if it will help them feel better overall (not specific GI issues, just general health)

2. They eat sugar in other foods, so eliminating the sugar in yogurt won't really change anything about the person's diet.

DD17 has several undiagnosed health/pain issues.  When ever we see medical professionals that tend toward the more natural healing tendencies (accupuncture etc) about her issues, they tell her to eat unsweetened natural yogurt to see if it helps her.  She doesn't really eat yogurt flavored foods, or creamy foods for that matter.  She will eat a lemon or lime Tillmook yogurt for a snack periodically, but never plain yogurt.  She would have to choke it down.  I wonder though, since no one is saying to avoid other forms of sugar, why they feel it is so important for the yogurt to be plain?  I will ask the next person who recommends it, but until then I thought i would check with the hive.  

I understand candida overgrowth and eliminating sugar, They aren't saying she has an issue with overgrowth in any way.  They just say she needs to eat it for the probiotics.  Does sugar affect the absorption of probiotics? 

Edited by Tap

If it's not something she'd eat, then she won't eat it.  I'd go with keifer over yogurt for probiotics (my kids eat the sweetened; no way they're eating the other stuff, but we're not exactly a healthy household) or go straight to good quality probiotics that come in capsules.

I would say that any reduction in sugar is a good thing.  Some yogurts are absolutely crammed with it.  I have two thoughts:

1) You can mix vanilla yogurt with plain yogurt, gradually increasing the amount of plain.  Add fruit to sweeten and flavor it.  But if she is not into creamy foods, that's not going to be a useful solution.  So - 

2) You can make smoothies with it.  Again, starting with mostly vanilla and gradually moving to mostly unsweetened.  Add a banana and some (defrosted) frozen berries for flavor - just strawberries or a mix of berries are both good flavors.  I use about 1/3 to a half part yogurt to about half to 2/3 part fruit, 

In other words, when they say "plain yogurt" they don't mean that you can't add fruit to it, just that you should start with plain yogurt as the base rather than a flavored/sugared variety (and "vanilla" is flavored/sugared).  In this way, you are minimizing the added sugar.  Also, note that some yogurts have active cultures and some do not- it will say "active cultures" on the ones that do.  

yogurt that contains added sugar (in ANY form), counters many benefits from eating yogurt.

greek yogurt contains more probiotics than standard commercial yogurt.

I add fresh berrries (or if I really want a treat - coconut and crushed pineapple.) to unsweetened greek yogurt.

pickled/fermented foods are also beneficial at killing yeast, and encouraging healthy gut flora.  the two together will be more effective, as you are killing yeast while also trying to establish health probiotics. 

I have done yeast cleanses in the past (with positive effects.  start slowly- dying yeast sends out toxins), as well as take a good probiotic.

yeast craves sugar.  avoiding sugar is denying yeast a food source, and it will start to die off. 

eta: I will also mix in some uncooked rolled oats into the yogurt and berries.  I let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes before eating.  it's very filling - as well as nutritious.

Edited by gardenmom5

Shop bought yogurt is pathetic as far as probiotics go. Even those with "active cultures" only contain about three varieties. Decent quality miso soup would do her more good.

Our pediatrician said the same thing.

If I were you, I would just have her take a probiotic. At least you know what and how much you are getting.

I really prefer plain yoghurt savoury - try it with garlic and cucumber (tzatziki) as a dip for vegetables - yoghurt and tahini is another option (although not one I personally enjoy). I also strain yoghurt to make labnah (like cream cheese) and eat it with salad and pita bread. Raita is another savoury yoghurt option, it's usually done with cucumber but we've had it with carrot, onion and tomato too.

• Like 1

eta: I will also mix in some uncooked rolled oats into the yogurt and berries. I let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes before eating. it's very filling - as well as nutritious.

I make 5 or 6 small mini mason jars of this once a week and keep in the fridge for breakfast - I layer oats, yoghurt and frozen berries or mango. Delicious, and so easy to reach for one at breakfast!

• Like 1