Menu

DD loves Rice but she isn't sure she can be so far away...

Ann.without.an.e

Thank you so much for your help on the other thread inquiring about Rice.  DD is at Rice this weekend and loving it.  She is pretty much guaranteed admission.  They told her if she applies she is 99% likely to get in.  They only invite certain students to this weekend program, then those who are invited must be accepted into it (1,400 applied but only 80 or so are chosen) so these kids are screened.  They told them that unless something bad shows up in the actual admissions process that they don't expect, they WILL get in, they literally said "if you are here your acceptance rate is 99%"  That being said....

DD feels so far from home  :crying:   She would prefer to stay closer to home and isn't sure she could be happy that far away even though she loves it there.  It is the perfect school for her in so many ways.  

Any thoughts?  I am trying to be really quiet about it  :banghead:   

Edited by Attolia

I'd remind her that she doesn't need to decide today.

Everything I've read about the school over on CC has been quite positive.  I don't know what the rest of her list looks like or what the financial angle is, but opportunities like this don't grow on trees.  Good luck :)

• Like 1

I'd remind her that she doesn't need to decide today.

Everything I've read about the school over on CC has been quite positive.  I don't know what the rest of her list looks like or what the financial angle is, but opportunities like this don't grow on trees.  Good luck :)

I will encourage her not to strike it completely from her list.  If for no other reason, she's practically guaranteed admission so it is a safe school from that angle.  

I feel the same way about it being such an opportunity.  I hate to see her give it up.

This is such a personal thing, both with the individual kid and with the family.

We live on the most remote island archipelago in the world.  Unless my kids go to one of the local universities, they will be at least a 6 hour plane ride from home.  Even if they went local, odds are we would move off island before they graduated.  

DS ended up at a school that is very popular within its state and region.  There are parents who are frustrated to be a three hour drive from their kid.  To me that seems incredible to be able to go down and see my son on a weekend, even if it did require a couple weeks coordination to make it happen.  I'm hoping that in a few years we might at least be in the same region, if not the same state.  But for now it is long distance communications only.  

DS did apply to a couple schools that were near extended family.  When he was deciding between schools, the proximity to grandparents was something that was considered when it applied.

• Like 1

Sorry to see your other post about the unfortunate plane experience - might that figure into her feelings?  I'm sure it would if it were me.  I think - hope - that problem is not super common?

(I was 17 the first time I flew alone back in the old days, to visit colleges and I did end up going to school in that city.  We put dd15 on a plane alone a couple months ago without issue; we didn't even take her to the gate, though she was texting me the entire time, trying to figure out the Southwest boarding procedure.)

• Like 1

Sorry to see your other post about the unfortunate plane experience - might that figure into her feelings?  I'm sure it would if it were me.  I think - hope - that problem is not super common?

I've honestly wondered the same thing.  I am hopeful for a smooth trip home that will ease any fears that have been planted in her mind.  

Has she visited other colleges too?  That might help her decide - and as others have said - she doesn't have to decide now.  She can even apply, be accepted, find out what her financial package is like, and still have time to compare with her other options to see how she feels.  Personally, if she likes what she's seeing now, I would tell her not to burn bridges.

That said, if she's a sure thing for them, she likely would be at other places too.  Investigate schools closer to home and see what she thinks after visiting them.  A second visit of final contenders (after acceptances and finances) can also help with decision making.

• Like 1

Has she visited other colleges too?  That might help her decide - and as others have said - she doesn't have to decide now.  She can even apply, be accepted, find out what her financial package is like, and still have time to compare with her other options to see how she feels.  Personally, if she likes what she's seeing now, I would tell her not to burn bridges.

That said, if she's a sure thing for them, she likely would be at other places too.  Investigate schools closer to home and see what she thinks after visiting them.  A second visit of final contenders (after acceptances and finances) can also help with decision making.

She has visited most of the good schools within 3ish hours of our house.  There are a few she likes.  She will attend a weekend at Davidson event soon.  So far she's thinking about applying to Duke, Davidson, Furman, Emory, Chapel Hill, NC State, Rice, and maybe 1-2 Ivies just for kicks because the financial package would be hard to turn down.  We happen to hit the need based aid for them and it makes it cheaper for us than a state school  :thumbup1:   I imagine she will leave Rice on the list for now and compare the finances before she decides.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1