Menu

Report in on your Halloween costume successes or struggles

kentuckymom

My 13 yo is a suffragette.  She figured it all out for herself.  From the thrift store; long skirt in dark maroon, button front shirt with small pleated ruffles down the front, at the cuffs and on the standup collar, and a pair of low heeled granny boots.  From Amazon a plain sash that she wrote "Votes for Women!" on,  a boater style hat in wool felt and a sign that said "President Wilson, what will you do for Womens' Suffrage?"

I am actually very proud of her because she went to a church activity and all the girls 12-16 were talking about their costumes.  All of the girls her age (13-14) decided to be superheroes and told her she should be one too.  My daughter said she wanted to be a suffragette.  The girls made plans to go shopping for their costumes together & to get together for a party to put together the costumes.  My dd asked if she should bring treats because she wasn't going to be working on her costume and one of the girls told her if she wasn't going to be a superhero she wasn't invited. *sigh*  

Later on at the same activity one of the dads who was picking up asked the girls what they were going to be.  My dd said suffragette and he said,

"What is that?"  What is going on when my 13 yo dd has to tell an adult (a voting adult, I might point out) what a suffragette is?

She told him and he said,

"Why would you want to be that?  Don't you want to be a superhero like your friends or something pretty like a princess?"

I don't consider myself a violent person, really I don't, but sometimes I just want to smack people.

Amber in SJ

• Like 3

Daring to be different is sometimes not all it's cracked up to be.  My daughter wore a Greek Goddess costume in 6th grade and carried a peacock along with other symbols of Hera.  Everybody called her a princess all night.  Not cool when you are an adult-sized sixth grader and long past princesses.  Epic fail.  She looked amazing, though.

My 13 yo is a suffragette.  She figured it all out for herself.  From the thrift store; long skirt in dark maroon, button front shirt with small pleated ruffles down the front, at the cuffs and on the standup collar, and a pair of low heeled granny boots.  From Amazon a plain sash that she wrote "Votes for Women!" on,  a boater style hat in wool felt and a sign that said "President Wilson, what will you do for Womens' Suffrage?"

I am actually very proud of her because she went to a church activity and all the girls 12-16 were talking about their costumes.  All of the girls her age (13-14) decided to be superheroes and told her she should be one too.  My daughter said she wanted to be a suffragette.  The girls made plans to go shopping for their costumes together & to get together for a party to put together the costumes.  My dd asked if she should bring treats because she wasn't going to be working on her costume and one of the girls told her if she wasn't going to be a superhero she wasn't invited. *sigh*  

Later on at the same activity one of the dads who was picking up asked the girls what they were going to be.  My dd said suffragette and he said,

"What is that?"  What is going on when my 13 yo dd has to tell an adult (a voting adult, I might point out) what a suffragette is?

She told him and he said,

"Why would you want to be that?  Don't you want to be a superhero like your friends or something pretty like a princess?"

I don't consider myself a violent person, really I don't, but sometimes I just want to smack people.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

Well, I had to google it myself I'm ashamed to say. It's just not a word I remember hearing. Like my brain actually picks it apart and wants to see Smurfette or something more familiar just so I wasn't like, "Huh?" It's okay to be disappointed that people don't know what it is. But I do hope your dd has realistic expectations about reactions she will receive. She will probably be explaining herself all night long. I mean, with a protestor sign she may not, but I don't know if she'll want to lug one around.

Ds wants to be a zombie hunter. I thought, great, so what does he wear exactly? Will people "get" it? Dh made him a shirt to help explain. His props will help, but alone might be confusing (gas mask, plastic weapons).

This is one holiday that I don't stress over when it comes to costumes. For years I purchased all the boys costumes at the costume store, agonized over the right selection, etc. Then one year, the year my Mom passed, I forgot. It was the Halloween morning, my older DS was devasted. So I told him to get creative, he more than likely had enough pieces from all the other years. It was the best Halloween according to him. From then on, my children make their own costumes, they may get a piece from the WalMart or costume store but they create and design their own costumes.