Menu

If you have lost a significant amount of weight

DawnM

What did you do? By significant, it can be whatever you think is significant, but I am hoping you will list the amount you have lost.

I have read in several threads about quite a few of you who have been successful at losing weight.

Would love to hear some success stories!

Thank you!

• Like 2

I've lost over 100 pounds. I'll put numbers where I can.

Dropped soda and juice as I had a major problem with them.

Whole30, 8 pounds.

P90X, scale went up, but drastic fat percentage improvement.

Insanity, saw improvement every. single. day.

5 mile hike every day one summer, 40 pounds.

When I was a teen I did a month of the grapefruit diet and lost about 17 pounds.

• Like 6

I've lost 100 pounds in a year. I follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live/End of Diabetes plan, and walk about two hours per day.

The diet is expensive, limited, and complicated, but I'm in the best health of my adult life so I intend to stick with this forever. I still have lupus, it wasn't a miracle cure, but I stay in pretty good remission most of the time if I'm careful. And I reversed my diabetes -- my blood glucose numbers are normal as long as I stick to the plan.

• Like 20

I've lost over 100 pounds. I cut carbs and get 10K steps a day. That's all I did for the first 75 pounds or so then I hit a hard stall. Almost 3 months with no scale movement. Those were rough weeks.

Now I also do strength training and count calories. I still try to eat low carb, but I'm not hyper focused on them the way I used to be.

I still have about 35 pounds to go. I'm only losing 1/2 to 1 pound a week, so it will take some time. I'm focused on tiny little changes that don't hurt too much and I can do forever rather than big things that will certainly have an expiration date.

• Like 8

I've lost about 75 pounds. Most of it has been with Trim Healthy Mama. I also "run"- not sure my 14 minute miles count as running. 😂 I shoot for an hour 3 days a week, a long run of 7+ miles, walking the other days. I will do a half marathon on Saturday. I will do more Jillian videos, P90x, etc during the winter because I can't stand the cold.

• Like 7

when I avoided sugar  (no substitutes either!), dairy, and breads,  weight melted off.  I was in better shape than I was in high school.  I also had tons of energy.

fruit was a treat - and not a staple.   meat and vegetables were the bulk of my diet.  I did eat rice and pasta (with dinner only, and not every day) - and I ate as much as I wanted, so I was full.  I didn't count calories, I was just strict in what I ate.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 5

I had weight loss surgery...sleeve gastrectomy, and went from morbidly obese to just "overweight", and then got pregnant. 

I had tried low carb, paleo, weight watchers, Jenny craig, self hypnosis, etc. before that and nothing really worked for more than say, 10 pounds. 

• Like 5

I've tried to lose weight before doing the LCHF thing - in many iterations (Atkins, Suzanne Somers, South Beach, Paleo/Primal, etc). It makes me nauseous and miserable. I lost 40lbs in 6 mos and then gained that back plus another 40lbs or so until I reached my highest weight ever and ended up with a BMI of 43.

Then, I decided to go the other way, HCLF vegan. I'm down 77lbs in my third year of doing this and have hugely improved all of my biometrics. I have somewhere between 40-50lbs to go. What worked for me was finding something I could do for the rest of my life. The difference this time is that even if I don't lose weight, it's easy for me to maintain what I've lost so far. There is no diet, it's just the way I eat. By doing the HCLF thing, it's my shortcut to calorie counting. High fiber, low fat, plant based foods are less calorie dense while the fiber gives me satiety meaning I lose weight without being hungry. At this point, it requires very little thought on my part.

I didn't add exercise until I was into the second year. I became a runner and then started training for races. I'm a back of the pack runner and it's unlikely I'll ever win anything, but it keeps things interesting and gives me something to aim for.

The bottom line is that there is no one way to eat for everyone. There's no one perfect way to lose weight. There's just the one way that works for you. Pick a way of eating that's your thing so that it's not a diet, but instead it's just Tuesday and this is what you do. Do the same thing with exercising. Pick the thing you enjoy doing so you can keep doing it today and the next week and so on.

Also, remember that weight loss is a series of ups and downs. It is not a straight line from this point to goal weight. Find a way to track your weight that smoothes out those spikes. Zoom out and look at the wide view. Then when you gain a pound or five as you inevitably do, you don't panic and give up. You just keep on keeping on.

Get rid of the clothes that are too big and buy clothes that fit. My dh has to push me to do this, but when you do it the slower way those milestones (like no longer needing to shop in the plus size section for anything) help you see just how far you've come. I'm like 6lbs from just being overweight instead of obese, but in my mind I'm a lot bigger than that. The mental side definitely lags behind reality. I have to take people shopping with me or I will inevitably buy the wrong size.

Oh, and sometimes it feels like a part time job. At least for me, the training and weight loss does. It's one I enjoy, but it does require time.

• Like 12

What is Insanity?

I've lost over 100 pounds. I'll put numbers where I can.

Dropped soda and juice as I had a major problem with them.
Whole30, 8 pounds.
P90X, scale went up, but drastic fat percentage improvement.
Insanity, saw improvement every. single. day.
5 mile hike every day one summer, 40 pounds.

When I was a teen I did a month of the grapefruit diet and lost about 17 pounds.

• Like 1

I'm having success with low-ish carb (target 45g or less), weighing my food to get accurate calorie count (I'm targeting 1500-1700 calories daily), and exercising every day. I've lost 6 pounds so far (started ten days ago, so a lot is water weight), but I measured today and I've lost two inches off my midsection. My arms and legs are slimmer, too. I'm training for a 5k and I'm walking/jogging every day for at least thirty minutes. Today I did 5k just around my neighborhood. I thought I hated running, but it turns out I hated the treadmill. :) Find something active you enjoy.

My goal is to lose 45 more pounds. I chose low carb because I have an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's) and low carb looked way easier than eliminating entire food groups while still having positive effect for my disease. I did Whole30 previously (no grain, no beans, no sugar, no dairy, etc.). I did lose 12 lbs. in a month that way, but it wasn't sustainable. What I'm doing now isn't a challenge except for having to weigh everything and calculate calories. I can eat things that I enjoy (with some restrictions due to carb), so I don't feel limited. As long as I'm running a significant calorie deficit, I feel successful for the day.

ETA: I've only been overweight for the past three years (started gaining a year after my sixth baby). I was always slim without really trying before that. My target weight is the adult weight I had for most of the years between now and when I got married 17 years ago.

Edited by Veritaserum
  • Like 2

I'm training for a 5k and I'm walking/jogging every day for at least thirty minutes. Today I did 5k just around my neighborhood. I thought I hated running, but it turns out I hated the treadmill. :)

I did the same thing and yes, I dislike the treadmill. I found out that I prefer running outside in pretty much any weather to running on the treadmill. I also found out that runners sometimes walk and that this isn't the mile run in school.

So try new things even if you think you'll hate it. Dh told me he'd never run because he hated it and yet he ran his second half marathon with me last Sunday and we're going to run our third half in December. If you can find something you enjoy doing that your SO enjoys doing too, that can help with the consistency/sticking with it thing.

• Like 4

I put on 25 pounds in the last year and 15 the year before so I have 40 to lose. It seems insurmountable! Any encouragement for how to think long term and study motivated through slow losses would be welcome.

I used to be able to drop weight quickly with some focused effort but I think she and a slowed metabolism has caught up with me and any loss is going to be slow.

I am doing the food plan (but not workouts) that comes with the 21 day fix. I am getting over 10,000 steps a day. I hope to feel strong enough to add the workouts soon.

I am a week into diligently following the eating plan with no loss. I need to learn patience for sure.

• Like 2

Can I butt in for a minute to ask how you ladies fit in 10K steps a day while homeschooling? I can find time on my day for half an hour for a walk, barely (can't run while pregnant), but while that adds some, it doesn't get me near 10k a day. I feel like my day is moving from one place to another to sit. Read to this child, switch the laundry, sit in my chair and do math with another child, grab the preschooler and redirect him, back to my chair for working with a third child, make lunch, go upstairs to sit on the floor to work with the high schooler. There's only so much I can do while walking in place; if I'm not still, it's hard to read the math boon or whatever. I feel like I'm running all over all day and on my feet a lot, but unless I go grocery shopping, I'm not hitting close to 10K steps a day, and I do spend a lot of the day sitting (or standing in place). How are y'all doing it?

• Like 7

I've tried to lose weight before doing the LCHF thing - in many iterations (Atkins, Suzanne Somers, South Beach, Paleo/Primal, etc). It makes me nauseous and miserable. I lost 40lbs in 6 mos and then gained that back plus another 40lbs or so until I reached my highest weight ever and ended up with a BMI of 43.

Then, I decided to go the other way, HCLF vegan. I'm down 77lbs in my third year of doing this and have hugely improved all of my biometrics. I have somewhere between 40-50lbs to go. What worked for me was finding something I could do for the rest of my life. The difference this time is that even if I don't lose weight, it's easy for me to maintain what I've lost so far. There is no diet, it's just the way I eat. By doing the HCLF thing, it's my shortcut to calorie counting. High fiber, low fat, plant based foods are less calorie dense while the fiber gives me satiety meaning I lose weight without being hungry. At this point, it requires very little thought on my part.

I didn't add exercise until I was into the second year. I became a runner and then started training for races. I'm a back of the pack runner and it's unlikely I'll ever win anything, but it keeps things interesting and gives me something to aim for.

The bottom line is that there is no one way to eat for everyone. There's no one perfect way to lose weight. There's just the one way that works for you. Pick a way of eating that's your thing so that it's not a diet, but instead it's just Tuesday and this is what you do. Do the same thing with exercising. Pick the thing you enjoy doing so you can keep doing it today and the next week and so on.

Also, remember that weight loss is a series of ups and downs. It is not a straight line from this point to goal weight. Find a way to track your weight that smoothes out those spikes. Zoom out and look at the wide view. Then when you gain a pound or five as you inevitably do, you don't panic and give up. You just keep on keeping on.

Get rid of the clothes that are too big and buy clothes that fit. My dh has to push me to do this, but when you do it the slower way those milestones (like no longer needing to shop in the plus size section for anything) help you see just how far you've come. I'm like 6lbs from just being overweight instead of obese, but in my mind I'm a lot bigger than that. The mental side definitely lags behind reality. I have to take people shopping with me or I will inevitably buy the wrong size.

Oh, and sometimes it feels like a part time job. At least for me, the training and weight loss does. It's one I enjoy, but it does require time.

I did a Vegan diet for 6 months and felt fantastic. But I didn't do low fat along with it, which is prob why I didn't lose much weight (I had quite a few nuts.)

I just looked (again, but it has been a while) at the McDougall site and he says to eat a mundane/similar diet day to day, which honestly, is what most people do.

But I don't have a lot of time, so sticking with simple will be good. I don't mind spending more $$ as I have more $$ right now. And it isn't as much as some of the weight loss programs by any means. But buying Trader Joe's pre-riced cauliflower would be helpful for example.

I'm enjoying these success stories!

Two years ago, I was at my high weight (probably 25-30 pounds overweight). Then DH was diagnosed with cancer and I gained another 30 (I blame takeout and Starbucks and stress). I've since lost 5 pounds but the going has been slow...

We are thinking of doing Disney in the spring (we had to cancel our planned trip the year DH was sick) -- first time going for our kids. I'm determined to be in better shape for it!!

• Like 5

I did the same thing and yes, I dislike the treadmill. I found out that I prefer running outside in pretty much any weather to running on the treadmill. I also found out that runners sometimes walk and that this isn't the mile run in school.

I'm mostly walking with stints of jogging. I was really out of shape when I started. I'm improving my times, which is motivating to me. I can feel and see my body changing, too, which is cool. I'm using the Zombies Run 5K app to train. My first 5K is in two weeks. I'll probably be one of the slowest there, but that's okay.

• Like 4

But I don't have a lot of time, so sticking with simple will be good. I don't mind spending more $$ as I have more $$ right now. And it isn't as much as some of the weight loss programs by any means. But buying Trader Joe's pre-riced cauliflower would be helpful for example.

See and if I did simple I'd be bored out of my mind. :D Ditto for any diet that excluded bread, pasta, grains, or beans. I really like beans and I make a good bread. My family could go with the same seven dishes week in and week out. I like to try new cookbooks and foods from different cultures. Since I cook, we eat what keeps me interested.

If simple works for you and you can see yourself eating that way for the rest of your life, then go for it. Jeff Novick and Chef AJ have lots of good simple, quick, and easy type suggestions that might help.

I'm mostly walking with stints of jogging. I was really out of shape when I started. I'm improving my times, which is motivating to me. I can feel and see my body changing, too, which is cool. I'm using the Zombies Run 5K app to train. My first 5K is in two weeks. I'll probably be one of the slowest there, but that's okay.

At last Saturday's Half-Marathon we were well under the course time limit (by almost an hour), but it was a small race and most of the runners were way ahead of us. I think we had maybe five people behind us and for much of the race dh and I were on our own (he slowed way down to run with me). He just kept reminding me that it was just him and I out for a run just like every other time. I kept reminding myself that last place > does not finish > did not start. I cut two minutes off my time in June and finished feeling strong.

I pick my races carefully and try to make sure they are back of the pack friendly. I think you might be surprised at who will be out there doing the 5k with you. We've found that most of the other races and volunteers are super supportive no matter when you finish. There are races where that may not be the case - probably not with a 5k though.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. You'll get there.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 2

I'm enjoying these success stories!

Two years ago, I was at my high weight (probably 25-30 pounds overweight). Then DH was diagnosed with cancer and I gained another 30 (I blame takeout and Starbucks and stress). I've since lost 5 pounds but the going has been slow...

We are thinking of doing Disney in the spring (we had to cancel our planned trip the year DH was sick) -- first time going for our kids. I'm determined to be in better shape for it!!

:grouphug: My oldest has been unwell for the past few years and spent two weeks in the hospital last fall. Coffee and fast food were staples to survive that time, but it sure didn't help my waistline!

• Like 1

Can I butt in for a minute to ask how you ladies fit in 10K steps a day while homeschooling? I can find time on my day for half an hour for a walk, barely (can't run while pregnant), but while that adds some, it doesn't get me near 10k a day. I feel like my day is moving from one place to another to sit. Read to this child, switch the laundry, sit in my chair and do math with another child, grab the preschooler and redirect him, back to my chair for working with a third child, make lunch, go upstairs to sit on the floor to work with the high schooler. There's only so much I can do while walking in place; if I'm not still, it's hard to read the math boon or whatever. I feel like I'm running all over all day and on my feet a lot, but unless I go grocery shopping, I'm not hitting close to 10K steps a day, and I do spend a lot of the day sitting (or standing in place). How are y'all doing it?

I had the same issue for years. It wasn't until I made myself take an hour in the morning that I could do that. My children are all older. When I don't make a concentrated effort to go for a walk- I do not get enough movement. Too much sitting for school.

• Like 3

Honestly? I do it because I have to. Everyone else will have to wait for a little while each day while I choose to survive, to be there for them for a long time to come.

The doctor said, "You are diabetic. Here is your unaffordable, painful, and dangerous insulin kit. Here's a referral to a diabetes educator. Here are the ways you get your diabetes under control, but you will always be diabetic so we will watch for heart disease, foot ulcers, and other inevitable complications. You can learn to live with it pretty well, with meds, exercise, and monitoring."

Dr. Fuhrman said, "At least 80% of type 2 diabetics can just get rid of their diabetes with my program."

I tried option #2 and dropped my BG to normal levels in ONE MONTH. They've stayed down for a year, as long as I follow the plan.

I learned to tell my family and everyone else, "You will have to look out for yourself and each other for four 1/2 hour increments per day while I choose to WALK to LIVE. Every day. I matter. I get to take my best chance to live and be well, just like you." I frequently take husband or sons with me on walks. Other times, they somehow occupy themselves while I go to my room and hit the treadmill. They know I'll be back in half an hour.

If I had to choose between health and homeschooling, if the family had not stepped up their independence and personal responsibility so I can have basic human rights of good meals and exercise, I would have put them in school. Even our academically failing public school. I will give my life for my children if need be, but I won't give up my health and live with a horrible disease just so they can have my undivided attention with no breaks -- until I literally die.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 29

Honestly? I do it because I have to. Everyone else will have to wait for a little while each day while I choose to survive, to be there for them for a long time to come.

The doctor said, "You are diabetic. Here is your unaffordable, painful, and dangerous insulin kit. Here's a referral to a diabetes educator. Here are the ways you get your diabetes under control, but you will always be diabetic so we will watch for heart disease, foot ulcers, and other inevitable complications. You can learn to live with it pretty well, with meds, exercise, and monitoring."

Dr. Fuhrman said, "At least 80% of type 2 diabetics can just get rid of their diabetes with my program."

I tried option #2 and dropped my BG to normal levels in ONE MONTH. They've stayed down for a year, as long as I follow the plan.

I learned to tell my family and everyone else, "You will have to look out for yourself and others for four 1/2 hour increments per day while I choose to WALK to LIVE. Every day. I matter. I get to take my best chance to live and be well, just like you." I frequently take husband or sons with me on walks. Other times, they somehow occupy themselves while I go to my room and hit the treadmill. They know I'll be back in half an hour.

If I had to choose between health and homeschooling, if the family had not stepped up their independence and personal responsibility so I can have basic human rights of good meals and exercise, I would have put them in school. Even our academically failing public school. I will give my life for my children if need be, but I won't give up my health and live with a horrible disease just so they can have my undivided attention with no breaks forever.

^^This. My health completely tanked, especially in the past year. Blood pressure is up. I did some tests with a cardiologist. I'm on supplemental oxygen at night for some as-yet undiagnosed lung problem. I see the pulmonalogist this week after waiting six months. BUT, I have seen improvement in my lung function since I started moderate exercise. I've seen improvement in my overall health and energy (always a struggle with my chronic illness). I have let some things go that I used to do for the family because my health (mental and physical) are important.

Only my oldest is homeschooling right now and it's through an online charter, so my function is to just check in rather than actually teach. My other kids started school for the first time last year and they're doing great while I'm having more time and mental energy to tackle my health issues. Is it perfect? No. was it a hard decision to make? Absolutely. There are pros and cons to every choice. Right now, the pros of having them in school outweigh the cons. If that changes, I can always bring them home again.

• Like 6

This is what helped me, because I felt the same way as you!  I changed my goal to 5k instead.  That was a very doable goal by just adding a little extra movement each day, running up the stairs as soon as I thought of what I needed instead of saying "forget it."  It maybe included a short walk to our drug store (just down the corner).  

Once I got that down, my mindset started changing on its own.  It's hard to explain.  But at some point I realized that 5k seemed too easy!  It seemed like I was reaching it now every day without much extra effort at all.  So I bumped it up to 7.5k.  And eventually, up to 10k.  

Doing it that way made it all feel very doable and not overwhelming (or disappointing at the end of the day when you don't meet your goal).

Good luck!

• Like 9

I always scheduled an hour of home school PE. 

• Like 1

See and if I did simple I'd be bored out of my mind. :D Ditto for any diet that excluded bread, pasta, grains, or beans. I really like beans and I make a good bread. My family could go with the same seven dishes week in and week out. I like to try new cookbooks and foods from different cultures. Since I cook, we eat what keeps me interested.

If simple works for you and you can see yourself eating that way for the rest of your life, then go for it. Jeff Novick and Chef AJ have lots of good simple, quick, and easy type suggestions that might help.

What do you mean by this?  Do you spend a lot of time in the kitchen?

I just don't have the time.  I now work full time and then the kids have some evening activities, although we have tried to cut them back drastically.

I haven't read all that he says about bread and pasta but the plan I read said no processed foods.  That may be just for the weight loss phase or the fastest weight loss phase.  I have his book around here somewhere and haven't looked at it in years.  I need to find it.

I've lost 100 pounds in a year. I follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live/End of Diabetes plan, and walk about two hours per day.

The diet is expensive, limited, and complicated, but I'm in the best health of my adult life so I intend to stick with this forever. I still have lupus, it wasn't a miracle cure, but I stay in pretty good remission most of the time if I'm careful. And I reversed my diabetes -- my blood glucose numbers are normal as long as I stick to the plan.

Why is the diet expensive?  What did you eat?

Why is is complicated?  Don't feel you need to go into a long explanation if you don't want to write it all out.

I would like to possibly work out a Joel Fuhrman type thing in conjunction with Dr. McDougall's ideas, and some of the ideas in books like the China Study.   I think I feel best when I eat this way.  But as I mentioned in an earlier post, I think I eat too much of the fat......too many nuts, etc....and that is why I haven't lost weight on the plan.

100 pounds!  Wow!  That is impressive.  

Can I butt in for a minute to ask how you ladies fit in 10K steps a day while homeschooling?

I work and homeschool, and on most regular days, I manage 10k steps even without specifically exercising. The steps I take during the normal day - walking up and down in class, from my office through the building, from the car to the building, up and down the stairs at home doing housework - usually add up to close to 10k every day.

DH and I take a 3 mile walk most evenings.

When my kids were younger, we spent each afternoon at the park - that's easily 10k+ steps.

We also hiked as a family each weekend. Kids need exercise and outdoor play, several hours each day; during that time, mom can put in some steps, too.

What do your kids do in terms of exercise and outdoor play?

My friend who is a SAHM begins her day by a two hour nature walk in the woods with all her younger children who are not at school.

ETA: I also am not obsessing about NOT making the 10k on any given day. So maybe I have a crummy crampy day and want to lie in bed with my laptop - but I know that a weekend hike at 20k will make me average 10k+ again, so it is not anything I worry about.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

Why is the diet expensive? What did you eat?

Why is is complicated? Don't feel you need to go into a long explanation if you don't want to write it all out.

I would like to possibly work out a Joel Fuhrman type thing in conjunction with Dr. McDougall's ideas, and some of the ideas in books like the China Study. I think I feel best when I eat this way. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, I think I eat too much of the fat......too many nuts, etc....and that is why I haven't lost weight on the plan.

100 pounds! Wow! That is impressive.

Expensive -- fresh produce is readily available but frequently expensive where I live. Daily salad is part of the plan; I feed my family very frugally and healthfully with plenty of veg that is in season, but out of season veg really drives up my grocery bill. I try to remember that the diet is cheaper than insulin, and greens are cheaper per pound than meat and dairy, which I no longer eat. When the kids grow up and it's just dh and me, I don't think this will "feel" so expensive but for now it's a noticeable sacrifice.

Complicated -- the daily routine is easy at home now, but restaurants and company meals are a tremendous annoyance. I usually end up with a small, rather inferior salad and have to eat my real food later when everybody's gone home.

My meals (nearly every day):

Breakfast

Gluten free oatmeal

Blueberries

3/4 Granny Smith Apple

Cinnamon

Walnuts, raw

Lunch

Bean soup (oil free)

1 lb cooked greens, usually Brussels sprouts or broccoli

A few strawberries and a small orange

Ounce of raw cashews

Supper

Giant salad - I fill a pie plate with fresh greens (I like the boxed spring mix)

Grape tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, a cup of sliced mushrooms, and any other salad veg that sounds good

Raw sunflower seeds

Oil free dressing, just a little

No snacking, and I only drink water. Maybe a little herbal tea, unsweetened, in the winter.

• Like 7

I work and homeschool, and on most regular days, I manage 10k steps even without specifically exercising. The steps I take during the normal day - walking up and down in class, from my office through the building, from the car to the building, up and down the stairs at home doing housework - usually add up to close to 10k every day.

When my kids were younger, we spent each afternoon at the park - that's easily 10k+ steps.

We also hiked as a family each weekend. Kids need exercise and outdoor play, several hours each day; during that time, mom can put in some steps, too.

My friend who is a SAHM begins her day by a two hour nature walk in the woods with all her younger children who are not at school.

Sigh.  my kids are older and now in school.  I see I was a complete failure.  I was the "hey kids, come in the kitchen and let's learn to make cinnamon rolls together from scratch" mom.

Oh, and if you want exercise, go run while I sit and talk with the other moms.  Better yet, go with the scouts while I stay home.

Yup, I was THAT mom.

Yes! The children should be getting at least two hours of exercise daily, too! My boys always did, but I would watch them for some of the time (catching up on chores and study) instead of joining them. That was a mistake. The kids should be running and playing every day, and mom should take her chance to do the same.

• Like 2

Expensive -- fresh produce is readily available but frequently expensive where I live. Daily salad is part of the plan; I feed my family very frugally and healthfully with plenty of veg that is in season, but out of season veg really drives up my grocery bill. I try to remember that the diet is cheaper than insulin, and greens are cheaper per pound than meat and dairy, which I no longer eat. When the kids grow up and it's just dh and me, I don't think this will "feel" so expensive but for now it's a noticeable sacrifice.

Complicated -- the daily routine is easy at home now, but restaurants and company meals are a tremendous annoyance. I usually end up with a small, rather inferior salad and have to eat my real food later when everybody's gone home.

My meals (nearly every day):

Breakfast

Gluten free oatmeal

Blueberries

3/4 Granny Smith Apple

Cinnamon

Walnuts, raw

Lunch

Bean soup (oil free)

1 lb cooked greens, usually Brussels sprouts or broccoli

A few strawberries and a small orange

Ounce of raw cashews

Supper

Giant salad - I fill a pie plate with fresh greens (I like the boxed spring mix)

Grape tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, a cup of sliced mushrooms, and any other salad veg that sounds good

Raw sunflower seeds

Oil free dressing, just a little

No snacking, and I only drink water. Maybe a little herbal tea, unsweetened, in the winter.

Thank you.  That is helpful.  

I do go out to eat, although I am cutting back.  But I have two different ladies' groups I eat out with.  I will have to think that through for sure.  Thanks for mentioning that.

• Like 2

I lost 52 lbs.total which I consider significant. I joined Weight Watchers in 2011 and lost about 38 lbs. I kept that off for some months, probably not quite a year when my doctor told me I was prediabetic and asked me to go lower carb. She wouldn't tell me what that meant though. She didn't define it for me. After talking to my mom who was diabetic, I decided to keep to no more than 150 grams of carbs daily. I lost another 14 lbs.

So I lost weight by diet only. I did not exercise. At first, it was a drastic change. I went from eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, to a restricted calorie diet. I remember the first week being super easy because I was so motivated, but the next few weeks were harder. I was tired of watching what I ate and measuring my food. However, after a couple of months, it got much easier. It's been 5 years and I still eat the same way. I measure and track everything. I do it without thinking about it. It's no bother at all.

• Like 2

Many years ago I lost 35 pounds on low carb.  That was fairly significant given I'm 5ft1.  That took me about a year.

I definitely need to lose some weight now.  So far all I've been doing is exercising 3x a week at a gym.  I have lost weight, but no clue how much because I don't weigh myself.  My clothing is all getting too big so that's how I know that.  I still eat lower carb and working on reducing it a bit more, but I want to do things slowly rather than obsess over losing X amount in X amount of time.  I'm feeling good so that's what matters most to me at the moment.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

Many years ago I lost 35 pounds on low carb.  That was fairly significant given I'm 5ft1.  That took me about a year.

I definitely need to lose some weight now.  So far all I've been doing is exercising 3x a week at a gym.  I have lost weight, but no clue how much because I don't weigh myself.  My clothing is all getting too big so that's how I know that.  I still eat lower carb and working on reducing it a bit more, but I want to do things slowly rather than obsess over losing X amount in X amount of time.  I'm feeling good so that's what matters most to me at the moment.

I have lost 0, so I am definitely not in the "lose X in X amount of time."  I just want to see the scale start moving!

I have lost 0, so I am definitely not in the "lose X in X amount of time."  I just want to see the scale start moving!

I don't even step on the scale. 

It was hard motivating myself to go to a gym, but I really wasn't exercising otherwise.  A good portion of the year the weather is sucky for exercise, I don't want to walk alone, I hate walking with my husband because he walks too fast, and really I hate sports.  So gym it is.  I don't LOVE it, but it is making me feel good and so that is motivating me.  I also have not gone crazy.  I don't go there for hours.  I don't go every day.  And now that I feel better I actually do take some walks with my kids or go toss a ball around with them.  I didn't really do that before because just walking up the street made me feel like dying.  Now it doesn't.  So I'm really happy.  The fact I'm obviously losing some weight was just a happy side bonus.  I have lost weight without exercise before so I do know that it is possible. 

I always found low carb worked for me because I didn't have to count every little thing, I liked the food options, and I never felt starved. 

• Like 3

I don't even step on the scale. 

It was hard motivating myself to go to a gym, but I really wasn't exercising otherwise.  A good portion of the year the weather is sucky for exercise, I don't want to walk alone, I hate walking with my husband because he walks too fast, and really I hate sports.  So gym it is.  I don't LOVE it, but it is making me feel good and so that is motivating me.  I also have not gone crazy.  I don't go there for hours.  I don't go every day.  And now that I feel better I actually do take some walks with my kids or go toss a ball around with them.  I didn't really do that before because just walking up the street made me feel like dying.  Now it doesn't.  So I'm really happy.  The fact I'm obviously losing some weight was just a happy side bonus.  I have lost weight without exercise before so I do know that it is possible. 

I always found low carb worked for me because I didn't have to count every little thing, I liked the food options, and I never felt starved. 

I don't have a gym near enough to me to join.  There is supposed to be one coming, a YMCA, but I have no idea when.  

And I now work full time.

I am trying to get in walking.  I have a treadmill and when I do it at home, I can add weights and do arm lifts and such, and not feel self conscious!

First goal is to get to 10K steps.  I am still around 8K.

• Like 2

I don't have a gym near enough to me to join.  There is supposed to be one coming, a YMCA, but I have no idea when.  

And I now work full time.

I am trying to get in walking.  I have a treadmill and when I do it at home, I can add weights and do arm lifts and such, and not feel self conscious!

First goal is to get to 10K steps.  I am still around 8K.

Yeah that's one good thing where I live.  There are tons of gyms.  I go to a Planet Fitness.  It's cheap ($10 a month) and they have awesome hours (24 M-F and 7-7 S/S).  I can drive there in five minutes. 

My husband's employer recently created a workout room.  I think that's pretty cool.  He doesn't use it (he goes to the gym with me), but nice for people who have little time plus they don't charge anyone to use it.

• Like 1

My friend, who works full time, has lost significantly. Don't know exact numbers; it is many clothes sizes and visible to everybody; she needed a complete new wardrobe. I'd estimate 50+lbs, possibly more. 

She did it through a combination of exercise and diet. She trains for bike races with a very demanding personal coach (virtual; they communicate online) who has her track food. She does not eliminate any food group, still bakes, eats desert and drinks wine, but watches portions. She rides (at home or on the road) six days per week. 

The success is stunning. From severely overweight to maybe slightly above normal weight and riding 100km races. Btw, the lady is in her fifties.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

My friend, who works full time, has lost significantly. Don't know exact numbers; it is many clothes sizes and visible to everybody; she needed a complete new wardrobe. I'd estimate 50+lbs, possibly more. 

She did it through a combination of exercise and diet. She trains for bike races with a very demanding personal coach (virtual; they communicate online) who has her track food. She does not eliminate any food group, still bakes, eats desert and drinks wine, but watches portions. She rides (at home or on the road) six days per week. 

The success is stunning. From severely overweight to maybe slightly above normal weight and riding 100km races. Btw, the lady is in her fifties.

My issue right now is that I haven't worked in 10 years.  I just went back full time on Aug. 15th.  I am STARTING to get back in the swing of it and can at least start walking more again.  

I have kids and other activities too, so between working and the kids needing to get places, I don't have a lot of time or energy.  

Now, when I was SINGLE, and even pre kids, I was in great shape.  I would come home every day, and either hit the gym, go hiking in the Canyon (I lived in the foothills in SoCal) or other forms of exercise.  

What do you mean by this? Do you spend a lot of time in the kitchen?

I just don't have the time. I now work full time and then the kids have some evening activities, although we have tried to cut them back drastically.

I haven't read all that he says about bread and pasta but the plan I read said no processed foods. That may be just for the weight loss phase or the fastest weight loss phase. I have his book around here somewhere and haven't looked at it in years. I need to find it.

I don't have time on a regular basis to spend a lot of time in the kitchen with soccer and homeschooling and my dh's non-traditional work schedule. I might spend more time cooking in the off season, but I defintely save more involved meals for the weekend when dh is home and then we cook together.

I do, however, like to eat a different dinner every night (with leftovers for lunch, I prefer leftovers to sandwiches and the like). But a different dinner doesn't have to mean to be super time consuming. In the month of September (prime soccer season) I repeated three meals. All the rest were different.

I still don't cut bread out. I'd probably lose weight faster if I did and focused on intact grains and starches like potatoes instead. We like our waffle Sundays, though. And like I said, I like bread. I knew after the first year that these things were important so I accepted a longer term kind of thing knowing that it was something I could easily live with. Today and tomorrow and the next day.

I think a common theme in this thread is that I made me and my health a priority. I figured out what I needed to do to be successful and then I did whatever was necessary to enable that without having to rely on "willpower."

ETA: I also take my kids with me when I get my exercise. I run. They bike. Even if I'm out running 12 or 13 miles, they're out there with me. Except in the winter, then I might leave them home or get a family member to watch them (or dh and I take turns running).

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 4

The most I've lost aside from pregnancy was 30 lbs I put on from depo provera. I counted calories religiously and just got moving. It took me an entire year. I focused more on the process b/c strictly counting the pounds can be a bit crazy-making when the scale doesn't always cooperate. 

Can I butt in for a minute to ask how you ladies fit in 10K steps a day while homeschooling? I can find time on my day for half an hour for a walk, barely (can't run while pregnant), but while that adds some, it doesn't get me near 10k a day. 

Walks are a part of our school day. I actually made a conscious choice that if need be we would school less to get in those walks, being active and outdoors is every bit as important as the academics IMO. However, my younger kids don't take all day to school and my son is able to do a decent amount of work independently. 

I think Tibbie is spot on here (as usual) it is ok to put ourselves first. And really our kids need the activity too. I've had some health issues too, when you get to a certain point you gotta choose to sink or swim and if you don't purposely decide to be healthy it is not going to happen.

• Like 3

I don't have time on a regular basis to spend a lot of time in the kitchen with soccer and homeschooling and my dh's non-traditional work schedule. I might spend more time cooking in the off season, but I defintely save more involved meals for the weekend when dh is home and then we cook together.

I do, however, like to eat a different dinner every night (with leftovers for lunch, I prefer leftovers to sandwiches and the like). But a different dinner doesn't have to mean to be super time consuming. In the month of September (prime soccer season) I repeated three meals. All the rest were different.

I still don't cut bread out. I'd probably lose weight faster if I did and focused on intact grains and starches like potatoes instead. We like our waffle Sundays, though. And like I said, I like bread. I knew after the first year that these things were important so I accepted a longer term kind of thing knowing that it was something I could easily live with. Today and tomorrow and the next day.

I think a common theme in this thread is that I made me and my health a priority. I figured out what I needed to do to be successful and then I did whatever was necessary to enable that without having to rely on "willpower."

Yeah.  I feel like there is so much conflicting info out there.  And I have tried a lot of them.  None have worked so far, well, not entirely true, but in the last many years true.  Most likely human error, but there are just some things I can't live with.

I like reading success stories though and finding ways that I think resonate with me.

• Like 1

Ime The energy comes back when eating lower carb, and reducing intake of processed food. Portion control while minding the macros works for me.

Also do your bloodwork. I took off 25 pounds 2 years ago, but the energy wasnt there... found out I have a genetic issue (MTHFR gene variation) which means I feel a lot better without folic acid containing items in the diet, and with the right B12 supplement. I also get my 15 min of sunshine daily, and take enough vit D to keep my level at 50 or better (lactose intolerant too).