Menu

MEL science?

Janeway

We've been trying it. It is pricey, but the kits are top-notch and come with plenty of everything you need.

It comes with a nice app, but my Wi-Fi is touchy, so I don't often use it. The kids often have interesting themes. Presumably due to safety concerns, I have found that some kits don't get hot enough to produce the desired reaction. We have discussed that verbally, and in another case doctored the process a bit to up the heat.

The pricing scheme was different when we signed up, there was a start-up fee for the basics and then a lower monthly charge on-going.

Now that the semester had started we have a growing stack of unopened ones, so I may need to put it on hold until our schedule opens up a bit.

We started after spending some time last winter studying chemistry, so the review/reinforcement has been nice.

So for us, it has been a pricey supplement that feels like doing "real" science.

• Like 1

We just tried our first experiment with them this week.  Now that my kids are in middle school (6th and 8th grade) the cheapo Amazon kits weren't cutting it.  So, I took the plunge and got our first shipment this week.  The equipment looks great - my oldest is having fun with the Macro lens on his ipod.  The experiment (tin dendrite) worked as expected.  Yes, it is pricey, but I wanted them to have a true lab experience beyond, oh look, the test tube changed colors type stuff.  The program has an app that has demo videos and molecule modeling.  One of the best benefits is that they give you enough materials to do everything 2-3 times. Perfect for a homeschool with 2 students. Here are pics:

pSyNxbFgTzmCKKbDNKg1_a%20chem%20lab%204.

hOYDLsdVTJObyqnZ9iA4_a%20chem%20lab%201.

mj61Jh1aRziKpJ0B40QP_a%20chem%20lab%203.

26M7fr66S4ClZOGe068G_a%20chem%20lab%202.

Edited by J&JMom
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

It is very nice and I don't think pricey based on what you get. We love it. My only beef is that they have some work to do in the communication department. One time I got a tiny box with extra chemicals and no paper, no nothing for what. It took a bit of back in forth with several of us. To get an answer on what it was for ( one supplier sent extra chemicals for a set we hadn't gotten). If kits are delayed, they don't always let you know. For most of us who use it, our complaints are about the communication.

I had some trouble with the candle-powered burners not providing quite enough great for a couple experiments. A trade-off between power! and safety. It was a minor issue, though. The equipment is quality and the experiments have reinforced a number of previous science lessons.

Do they still offer the option to put your account on hold? I had to do that when we got a backlog after science shifted away from chemistry.