Menu

Hello new here

pagangoddess77

Hello

I am a mom of 5 kids, two are homeschooled.

I have questions on finding things for my son that turned 6 in April

My sons personality is very Hyper, does not like anything school related, homework etc related!

BUT he loves when i read to him before bed. Hes so fidgety as well, that it is hard to even read to him during Daytime so he can answer a few questions in his workbook. We are with a charter and bought a very expensive timberdoodle secular kit that half the stuff is for fun and half is too hard for 1st grade. I can return it but i cant get credited. 

My 10 yr old does fine with it and she has PDD-NOS. Both kids have a IEP

Anyways, im just trying to find another curriculum or just another company that will be best for my son. He does not read, does not do math, write etc. He knows how to write his first name only. can recognize letters, some shapes and very easy math. In his timberdoodle kit he got Level 2 reading, Story of the world (i dont like it even for my daughter) its not really a work book. its more for me to read and figure out which i dislike making up my own things. i just like easy stuff i can give my kids to do and i can help but not make up lessons. Not my thing!

He also got spelling you see, some jack and jill level b. just a bunch of stuff he cant do yet which to me is useless. I need something that will encourage him to learn to Read, write, do math, science, history. 

Is brave writer good? do they actually send you things? i like visual books no pdf no printing

Need a good set of how to learn to read. 
History, science and math plus Language arts.

thanks

Welcome to the forum. :)

No, you don't want Bravewriter. And I'm not sure why you would want to use a reading comprehension workbook for a wiggly 6yo. If you really like the workbook, use the questions orally.

Are you looking for self teaching materials? You won't find much of that for such a little kid. If you want scripted programs so you can just read off the page, that's possible.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I agree with Rosie that you'll need to do a lot of the instructing/helping for a kid who isn't reading well yet. I'd recommend looking at Logic of English Foundations for teaching your son to read. It has a lot of physical activity involved. You will need to work with him a bit each day; the teacher's manual will tell you what to do. He will either be level A or B, I'd guess.

When reading to him, don't get stuck on the idea that he needs to be still to listen; some kids listen very well upside down, while driving a matchbox car around the furniture, etc.

Are you wanting to do the classical history cycle with something other than SOTW? Or maybe something different? You could easily spend a year without a curriculum, just maps, on geography if you'd like, going region by region until everybody knows the countries and capitals. Or you could try a traditional school textbook approach to social studies, maybe with something from Harcourt or another publisher. (They're available used on Amazon, and probably AbeBooks, or elsewhere.)

If you are not liking the Timberdoodle math, can you tell what you don't like about it so we can suggest something that's a better fit? I haven't seen it.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. :)

No, you don't want Bravewriter. And I'm not sure why you would want to use a reading comprehension workbook for a wiggly 6yo. If you really like the workbook, use the questions orally.

Are you looking for self teaching materials? You won't find much of that for such a little kid. If you want scripted programs so you can just read off the page, that's possible.

Im kinda confused sorry. I was told by brave writer that i can just read to him, he can tell me his stories and i can write it for him. sounds easy to me

i like workbooks. i like things that tell me what i have to do to teach. Im not into making up my own lessons plans. dont have the brain power for that. i have too many things going on and 5 kids. 

I am with a charter so i need to do a little each day or every few days. We have timberdoodle kit and it cant be sent back because i wont get refunded his funds back.

So i need to work with i have that was given but im looking at Explode the code too. I need some easy things for him to learn to read and write. We have Math u see from the kit i bought. 

I was also looking at the brown and tan Charlotte mason 

The Original McGuffeys Eclectic First Reader (McGuffey's Readers) 

McGuffey's Eclectic Spelling Book (McGuffey Readers) 

I read on a different forum that those are for advanced readers and to buy the gold and blue bound books? Idk anymore Lol, im just trying to find something he can work on a little each day. but hes so all over the place and a huge chatter box. He cant once be quiet for a moment so i can read to him. If it isnt before bedtime he just talks and talks and doesnt listen. He cant seem to understand when i read a question to answer it. For example i read, blank spot. He needs to fill it in but i have to explain a few times and i end up giving him the answer.

The Original McGuffeys Eclectic First Reader (McGuffey's Readers)McGuffey's Eclectic Spelling Book (McGuffey Readers) 

Hi, welcome to the forum. I agree with Rosie that you'll need to do a lot of the instructing/helping for a kid who isn't reading well yet. I'd recommend looking at Logic of English Foundations for teaching your son to read. It has a lot of physical activity involved. You will need to work with him a bit each day; the teacher's manual will tell you what to do. He will either be level A or B, I'd guess.

When reading to him, don't get stuck on the idea that he needs to be still to listen; some kids listen very well upside down, while driving a matchbox car around the furniture, etc.

Are you wanting to do the classical history cycle with something other than SOTW? Or maybe something different? You could easily spend a year without a curriculum, just maps, on geography if you'd like, going region by region until everybody knows the countries and capitals. Or you could try a traditional school textbook approach to social studies, maybe with something from Harcourt or another publisher. (They're available used on Amazon, and probably AbeBooks, or elsewhere.)

If you are not liking the Timberdoodle math, can you tell what you don't like about it so we can suggest something that's a better fit? I haven't seen it.

I have this kit here from Timberdoodle for both my 1st grader and 4th grader

this is my son whos 6 http://www.timberdoodle.com/First_Grade_Secular_Homeschool_Curriculum_p/999-1601s.htm

we have math u see. Story of the world is a huge thick book. i dont see any smaller books that came with it

I was looking into Charlotte Mason style as posted above on two books. But read those are not good for kids who cant read. I was trying a more classic approach of the old times maybe that would work vs traditional common core stuff that i dislike but i also do like workbooks.

I cant return the Kits and get my funds back into my kids account so i have to keep it. I would like to buy other things.

I did add Explode the code level 1, 1 1?2, 2 and B for him. Im not really too concerned for my 10 yr old. she has a few problems like making up sentences. she still cant do it, has trouble with run on sentences, using punctuation, not understanding when a book or a person asks a question, is a statement etc... she just does not get it but can read well, do level 3rd grade addition. No fractions etc..

It's hard to have kids work independently until they can read well, so I'd focus on that first.  Based on your description, I'd also look for lessons that are short.  We had good luck with hooked on phonics - there's a short video and a short passage for your child to read aloud.  Handwriting without tears might be good for making sure that he can write letters, and helps reinforce phonics some when they pair rhyming words.  Story of the World would need to be read aloud, but you could try giving your son exposure to the same topics by finding library books wtih pictures that go along with the topics.  You could also try coloring maps or having him draw, model, or build what you learn about.  You might be able to look for videos, too - other than picture books, read alouds, and videos I don't know of any other way to teach kids history, because you have to learn the material before you can do the workbook, project, or report.  If you decide to go in a different direction, HIrsh's Core Knowledge series (What your K/First/Second grader Needs to Know is a good guide for topics.  It isn't pre-planned, but there are short amounts to read about history, science, and literature and you could set your own schedule and then have your child do something hands-on for most of their time.  This would let you focus on the reading while still exposing your son to other topics. At this age, you don't really need a plan of assignments as much as you want a list of topics to look at. 

if you're trying to fill in gaps with grammar and writing, you might want to check out JakKris's Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing series - they're quick and self-teaching.  They have books for most of elementary and middle school, so you might find materials for both of your children there. 

• Like 1

It's hard to have kids work independently until they can read well, so I'd focus on that first.  Based on your description, I'd also look for lessons that are short.  We had good luck with hooked on phonics - there's a short video and a short passage for your child to read aloud.  Handwriting without tears might be good for making sure that he can write letters, and helps reinforce phonics some when they pair rhyming words.  Story of the World would need to be read aloud, but you could try giving your son exposure to the same topics by finding library books wtih pictures that go along with the topics.  You could also try coloring maps or having him draw, model, or build what you learn about.  You might be able to look for videos, too - other than picture books, read alouds, and videos I don't know of any other way to teach kids history, because you have to learn the material before you can do the workbook, project, or report.  If you decide to go in a different direction, HIrsh's Core Knowledge series (What your K/First/Second grader Needs to Know is a good guide for topics.  It isn't pre-planned, but there are short amounts to read about history, science, and literature and you could set your own schedule and then have your child do something hands-on for most of their time.  This would let you focus on the reading while still exposing your son to other topics. At this age, you don't really need a plan of assignments as much as you want a list of topics to look at. 

if you're trying to fill in gaps with grammar and writing, you might want to check out JakKris's Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing series - they're quick and self-teaching.  They have books for most of elementary and middle school, so you might find materials for both of your children there. 

thanks for the information. I did link the 1st grade timberdoodle secular kit i got. It has Jack and Jill, Story of the world, a cd rom, a bunch of books i can read to him, Math u see, some hand writing stuff too. I may look into the Logic one another poster recommended. I was trying to go CM with my son. But i dont know if that will work

Im kinda confused sorry. I was told by brave writer that i can just read to him, he can tell me his stories and i can write it for him. sounds easy to me

i like workbooks. i like things that tell me what i have to do to teach. Im not into making up my own lessons plans. dont have the brain power for that. i have too many things going on and 5 kids. 

I am with a charter so i need to do a little each day or every few days. We have timberdoodle kit and it cant be sent back because i wont get refunded his funds back.

So i need to work with i have that was given but im looking at Explode the code too. I need some easy things for him to learn to read and write. We have Math u see from the kit i bought. 

You can also NOT use Bravewriter, and just read to him, have him tell you his stories, and write them for him.  You don't need curriculum for that.  

Regarding SOTW:  I'm not sure what you're not liking about it.  It's a read-aloud.  Afterward, he can tell you one thing he remembers about it, and you can write it down for him.  Or he can summarize the section in one or two sentences and you can write it for him.  You don't have to make up anything for it.  You can do the comprehension questions from the activity guide if you like.  You don't have to do the activities that go with it.  We like using the map work, but pick and choose from the rest of the activities.

As to learning to read, what about using Progressive Phonics online?  It's free, it doesn't require you to plan anything, and you can go at his pace, doing a little a day.

What about the math, you said you didn't like the math they had.  Is it just that it's too advanced?  Would it work to get the earlier level, Math-U-See Primer, and start there?  Or do you dislike how it's organized or taught or something?

Edited by Kiara.I

You can also NOT use Bravewriter, and just read to him, have him tell you his stories, and write them for him.  You don't need curriculum for that.  

Regarding SOTW:  I'm not sure what you're not liking about it.  It's a read-aloud.  Afterward, he can tell you one thing he remembers about it, and you can write it down for him.  Or he can summarize the section in one or two sentences and you can write it for him.  You don't have to make up anything for it.  You can do the comprehension questions from the activity guide if you like.  You don't have to do the activities that go with it.  We like using the map work, but pick and choose from the rest of the activities.

As to learning to read, what about using Progressive Phonics online?  It's free, it doesn't require you to plan anything, and you can go at his pace, doing a little a day.

What about the math, you said you didn't like the math they had.  Is it just that it's too advanced?  Would it work to get the earlier level, Math-U-See Primer, and start there?  Or do you dislike how it's organized or taught or something?

He has the Math U See Alpha. It looks boring to be honest and advanced. He isnt adding yet. The two public schools he went to he used to get in trouble for not paying attention. his second school he would run out of class by 11am-12. He hated it. He told me he hates the kids, the class and everything they did was Stupid and for babies. I would be called in almost daily to pick him up. I had to walk my 7 month pregnant behind every day to school to get him because he would leave the room and go into the office because all he wanted to do was be home with me and play video games. 

So he never Learned much. Hes pretty smart in my book, he is more self taught and watches a lot of Youtube and learns on his own on his own accord. I cant do anything about his Kit and get a refund so i cant go and purchase other things. He only has $250 for this semester. I do not see myself using SOTW. And i dont see him listening to me much. I have always read to him since he was little

I think ill just find a easier Math, Science and History. 

I was thinking of Logic of English in Cursive In Level A 

Math

Science

History (I have a Map) we may do some social studies and some easy easy history covering one state at a time

Reading (explode the code)

MUS Alpha is really gentle.  I promise.  Watch the first few lessons on the video and read the front of the teacher's book where it talks about how to encourage mastery with each lesson.  Let him play with and explore the blocks for a week or two during "math time" before you even start with the video.

If you need to start with something even gentler, MEP Reception is focused on counting and shapes.  It's free, you just have to print it out. http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/primary/index.htm

In our house, we started with 5 minute lessons where I required concentration and effort.  5 minutes, that was it.  After that he was free to run and play until the next 5 minute lesson.  Over time we slowly worked our way up to our current 10-15 minute lesson, depending on the subject, and he is encouraged to continue after that if he still is engaged.

MUS Alpha is really gentle.  I promise.  Watch the first few lessons on the video and read the front of the teacher's book where it talks about how to encourage mastery with each lesson.  Let him play with and explore the blocks for a week or two during "math time" before you even start with the video.

If you need to start with something even gentler, MEP Reception is focused on counting and shapes.  It's free, you just have to print it out. http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/primary/index.htm

In our house, we started with 5 minute lessons where I required concentration and effort.  5 minutes, that was it.  After that he was free to run and play until the next 5 minute lesson.  Over time we slowly worked our way up to our current 10-15 minute lesson, depending on the subject, and he is encouraged to continue after that if he still is engaged.

Okay, ill take a look at the Teachers Manual and the video for MUS

What about science?

Is Discover Reading good?

He has this for Science http://www.timberdoodle.com/Interactive_Science_1st_Grade_Homeschool_Bundle_p/170-501.htm

The science you have looks good.  Can you not just use it?

You'll need to be reading it to your son, of course, and scribing his answers for him.

I think the problem is i always think he needs to do it and or understand it. thats my problem! I never taught any of my kids anything until they where older like 8 and they all went to Public school so i really never did any teaching. My oldest is 12 years old in 7th grade and she does way better at her Art performing HS. its a 7-12 Grade charter school.

My second daughter is 10 in 4th grade (supposed to be in 5th but was held back in 1st) and i started Homeschoooling her In July 2015 but before that we did a Personal Affidavit in 2013. 

My son whos 6 is so hard to teach. Hes a free spirited boy but very not into Authority. He doesnt listen, he talks back sometimes. He gets it from his older two sisters and my 10 yr old gets it from her older sister whos 12. My oldest has a bad attitude that effects everyone in the house. 

Im constantly over whelmed from helping him because everything looks so hard. i just need to learn that I have to read to him for now and have him answer me and ill just write it down for him

Has he watched magic school bus? If he prefers visual input there is a lot of good info in them - I am still surprised by what my kids learnt. You can get the original picture books from the library for him to look at. SOTW can be done as a one section a day read aloud and discuss a bit with both kids. I do it before out bedtime story. I didn't have much luck until my youngest was 6 though and he was a good listener so just let your youngest listen in. That is probably enough for a 6 year old for science and history although you could buy some premade science kits for fun. Reading - I don't know - a little a day of something with a lot of you reading aloud or audio books while he plays. Writing - do handwriting for now then try WWE1 - you read, he answers a few questions then he does a little copy work - start with a couple of words. If he struggles put it aside and try later.

Has he been assessed?

Alternatively is there a school who is willing to be a partner is solving the problem rather than just giving up and getting you to take him home?

Edited by kiwik

I think you hit the nail on the head.  At this age, a lot of adult participation and guidance is required for most kids.  The academics will come, but it may be easier to set aside a few weeks for training - learning how to learn, so to speak.  It will be easier once you have a handle on how to teach, or rather how to engage a student, and for the student once they know the expectations (and that they will be held to them).

For what it's worth, a lot of lessons in our house are through play.  I introduce a project from Story of The World and tell the story as we do it, or tell the story at bedtime/read other books on the topic.  Grammar is with playful characters, math is discovered through block play, science is very hands on.  But it requires a LOT of me.  I have to lesson plan, be present, appear to enjoy the subject (because if I dread it, so will my child), and be patient.  6yo children should be bouncy, they should be active!  Their lessons should reflect that, imo.