Menu

Help ... Need help finding grammar/LA for afterschooling 2nd/3rd grade

ijee

I have a 2nd and 3rd grader and I would like to afterschool grammar/LA. I already use AAS and EIW ( sometimes WWE added in). I need help on what to add for grammar. What does everyone use. I am new to this. Thank you in advance for your help. And yes, they are already fluent readers. Thank you

I adore the Language Arts program by Michael Clay Thompson aka MCT.

It is pitched at smart kids who enjoy big picture type learning, like getting information via story-like means, and don't respond to well to incrementalism and memorization. And those who like to cuddle.

I find it inspired (and inspiring) , brilliant, fun, and effective. My son and I are both the sort of people for whom the series was written, For me, it is a dream come true (where many popular LA books used in the community I'd find torturous), but I'm aware not everyone prefers this style. MCT falls in the category of "thinking differently."

Also, very effective for after schooling IMO because the learning is every efficient and pain-free (certainly compared with other grammar and LA alternatives) and it hits on the elements not generally covered well in schools these days (as opposed to doubling-down on the same things the schools are like to teach).

MCT is probably an approach that appeals to a minority. And that minority loves it.

Bill

• Like 1

Sentence Family, FLL3? I was looking at IEW fix it the other day. If my kids both get adequate maths and writing at their new school (looks good so far) then I might drop writing and maths and do fix-it, a little challenge maths once a week or in bed, SOTW and start Latin.

Fix It is short but very effective for us over the long term. DD zips through the material with enthusiasm and this is a kid who hates grammar. She retains well with this program and it is easy to implement. If I were after schooling grammar I would use fix it or MCT depending on the child.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

Thank you so much everyone.... I was looking at MCT but it seems like a lot of pieces especially considering that I will be using it for a 2nd and 3rd grader plis I have a rising 1st grader. And 9 month old twins. Is this an accurate assessment? I'm looking for something quick and efficient. I have been looking at easy grammmar, FLL and gwg. Or anything else that will fit my situation. Any thoughts considering my situation. Anyone used these long term with good results? Thank you.

Thank you Spy Car I'll look into this.. Still open to more input... 

Another you could try is Grammar-land by M. L. Nesbitt.

It was written in 1878 but is every modern in poking fun at the typically dry way "traditional" grammar books teach and instead teaches parts-of-speech via a humorous story.

Children (and parents) who enjoy and learn best through this type approach will likely love both Grammar-land and MCT. Those who like boring and incremental  (FLL I'm looking at you  :tongue_smilie:) probably would like neither.

MCT and Grammar-land differ on the number of different parts-of-speech (MCT teaches that articles are a subset of adjectives, where Grammar-land has articles as a ninth part of speech), but trying Grammar-land (in the public domain) is a way to try story-based learning without the high cost of MCT.

There are many text-based versions of Grammar-land, here is one with the original graphics from Google Books. Somewhere there are worksheets (made by a homeschooler?) available to download too.

https://books.google.com/books?id=iXgSAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA86&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

MCT does way beyond the scope of Grammar-land and is a multiyear course with multiple parts per year. MCT is not cheap, but worth its weight in gold from my perspective. From my perspective life is too short to do boring. MCT is fun, inspired, and speaks to students and parents in an intelligent and literary fashion.

Not everyone's cup of tea to be sure. So previewing Grammar-land is a good way, IMO, to see if a story-like way of learning is effective for you and yours.

Bill

If you are afterschooling, the kids are probably getting mechanics practice at school, but not a big picture approach. I say get MCT level one grammar, and it will supplement nicely what is being covered in PS. However be aware that there is very little new material from level to level, so you don't need to buy each level. You can do level 1 and 2 and skip level 3.

If you are afterschooling, the kids are probably getting mechanics practice at school, but not a big picture approach. I say get MCT level one grammar, and it will supplement nicely what is being covered in PS. However be aware that there is very little new material from level to level, so you don't need to buy each level. You can do level 1 and 2 and skip level 3.

Pretty accurate of our experience in the public schools where kiddo got the (very) basics of mechanics on a very low level of depth and as boring a presentation as possible. But nothing inspiring like MCT. And not nearly as deep. Not close. And we had the advantage of him attending one of the top-tier public elementary schools in Los Angeles (not a failed school).

My son would have liked more new material per year (vs the amount of review), so I can't argue that, but am still glad we didn't skip levels.

Now in Middle School my son has a grammar and LA base that his classmates (pretty smart kids in an advanced Math Academy program) simply don't have. MCT has a been pretty painless way to supply him with the sort of education public schools (even good ones) likely won't.

Bill