Menu

Homeschooling 10th grade suddenly, starting now?...

Ds15 was homeschooled through 5th grade. For reasons I won't go into, I may need to bring him home from his private school starting Monday. If public isn't an option, what would you suggest? I guess I'm asking for online courses that accept students mid-stream. He was in honors classes... Algebra 2, Western Civ, Chemistry, Spanish 3... I'm trying not to freak out but I'm worried. I welcome any and all suggestions. 

ETA: He's in 10th grade.

Edited by Janie Grace
  • Like 2

I recommend Kolbe Academy. They are a Catholic provider, but offer secular materials for the classes you indicate. You would be able to download their syllabi. Nancy in their bookstore is very responsive and also could mail you the syllabi and books very quickly, or you could find the books online (Amazon, eBay, homeschool classifieds,...) for less. Algebra 2 options include Foerster (highly regarded on this website), as well as Saxon. I'm not familiar with their Chemistry text, but it is secular. I only see Spanish going to the Spanish 2 level, but they may have additional information not on the website. Here is a link to Kolbe: http://www.kolbe.org

With Kolbe, your son would do his work independently and you would grade it. Or, you could see about enrolling in the online classes, where a teacher would grade his work, since it is not too late in the year.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

• Like 3

I have my dd taking a Shmoop Literature class. I grade the work, but she and I have both enjoyed the rigor of these classes. It helps that Shmoop tries really hard to have a sense of humor and make everything relevant to today. 

You might consider taking a little time to decompress before starting homeschooling. A trip to the mountains or the coast might be a nice diversion while you transition. 

• Like 1

Derek Owens would be a good choice for math.  His Algebra 2 course is excellent (not Foerster level, necessarily, but still excellent) and students can start where they need to and proceed at their own pace.  He also has an honors option.

I was going to suggest this for Algebra 2 also. You can start whenever you want, so won't be a problem with being behind in a class that has already been going  while.

• Like 1

I wouldn't really look at this as mid-stream.  It's still pretty much the beginning of the year, and I would think that online providers would work with you to spread it out and catch up.  Or, if you choose self-paced classes, then you won't even need to catch up with anyone.  Unless you are wanting an AP class, I would probably try to pick stuff that's self-paced.  If you want to stick with the same schedule, I'd look at Spectrum for Chemistry, DO or Thinkwell for math, the high school version of the SotW.  I think there are a ton of resources for Spanish, but I don't know them.  

Good luck!

• Like 3

:grouphug:  Sudden big changes mid-stream are not fun -- hope things will transition and settle smoothly quickly for you all!

Previous posters provided great ideas for specific classes and materials. I'll just throw in a "big picture" / administrative thought to keep in mind:

In case your DS returns to a brick & mortar school at some point, you'll want to keep fairly close to the number and type of credits that would be required by the high school, so there would not be any credits to have to "make up" if returning to the school. Some of those credits required by a high school may be things like: Health, PE, Computer, Personal Finance... When you officially withdraw DS, you'll want to get an official transcript from the his high school, and that would be a good time to also request a list of the 4 years of credits required by the high school for graduation.

And whether DS returns to a high school, or finishes his high school education at home/online, once you all get things settled down with homeschooling (like, maybe at the end of this semester), you will want to start tracking credits, do some record keeping, and create a transcript.

You'll also want to keep one eye on making sure you have the number and type of credits that will be required for college admission:

4 credits = English (1/2 Lit and 1/2 Writing)

4 credits = Math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus)

3-4 credits = Science, with labs

2-3 credits = Social Science (1 credit = Amer. Hist.; 0.5 credit each = Gov't and Econ)

2-4 credits = Foreign Language -- same language

1 credit = Fine Arts

4-8 credits = Electives (Computer, Health, PE, "Academic Electives" - additional courses beyond the required number in the first 5 subject areas above; additional Fine Arts; Vocational-Tech courses; personal interest courses; etc.)

So it sounds like right now you have:

English = ?

Math = Algebra 2

Science = Chemistry

Social Science = Western Civ

Foreign Language = Spanish 3

What has he been doing for the English -- was it matched up with the Western Civ?

And any Electives or Fine Arts classes DS is in the midst of that you want to try and continue with?

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't really look at this as mid-stream.  It's still pretty much the beginning of the year, and I would think that online providers would work with you to spread it out and catch up.  

I agree. Many classes have just done a little review and started a bit of new material -- maybe a chapter or two. My dd switched into an online class this time last year, and it worked out well.

For Chemistry, you could look at Conceptual Chemistry here:

https://learnscience.academy/

They offer videos to support the textbook and quizzes as well as extra worksheets keyed to the Conceptual Chemistry book. It's self-paced, so you're not behind.

If you really need to outsource English, I'd consider doubling up on Western Civ in the fall and then enrolling in both a literature and composition course in the spring. Landry Academy offers some interesting, semester lit classes (sci fi, ocean themed, gothic, time period based classes) as well as several several semester comp classes. If you feel comfortable grading but need lesson plans asap, Oak Meadow is worth a look.

• 1 year later...

Ds15 was homeschooled through 5th grade. For reasons I won't go into, I may need to bring him home from his private school starting Monday. If public isn't an option, what would you suggest? I guess I'm asking for online courses that accept students mid-stream. He was in honors classes... Algebra 2, Western Civ, Chemistry, Spanish 3... I'm trying not to freak out but I'm worried. I welcome any and all suggestions. 

Do you know which textbooks he was using?

That would help out in mid-year placement especially for math and science.

[oops I need to start looking at the OP post date!]