Menu

Where have all the Little House on the Prairie audiobooks gone?

I cannot seem to find any of the Little House books in digital mp3 versions: only the beat up, scratched up CDs from the library that skip or purchasing the CDs. Gone from Audible, gone from Hoopla and Overdrive and everyplace else I've checked. Am I just out of luck? Do digital versions of the audiobooks no longer exist? 

• Like 1

No answers here, but this is also something that I've noticed. I've purchased the CDs for The Long Winter and some others we've gotten from the library. If they were available on Audible, I'm sure they would be books my dd would listen to over and over. I'm starting the second time reading through the series with her, but I'm only one person with so many books to read. lol

I'm not sure they were ever there. I remember bootleg recordings of the CDs on YouTube that were shared around some online groups until they were taken down. Otherwise, I think it's been only hard copies. I looked 6-7 years ago with no luck, and finally started collecting CDs and burning them for our own digital use.

If they were available more recently, however, and are now gone, I'm not sure why that would be.

Are you talking about the great Cherry Jones-narrated versions? I've never found them anywhere digitally. (It stinks--I'd get them from Audible in a hot second, if they were available!) 

We're currently reading the entire series aloud and once we finish a novel, I get my girls the audio CD from our library. But, like the others have said, I've never found them digitally. Most of the CDs are available here on Amazon, for varying prices, if you think you might go for that, but yeah...have no idea why they aren't digital. They're such great books. 

Edited by EKT

Are you talking about the great Cherry Jones-narrated versions? I've never found them anywhere digitally. (It stinks--I'd get them from Audible in a hot second, if they were available!) 

We're currently reading the entire series aloud and once we finish a novel, I get my girls the audio CD from our library. But, like the others have said, I've never found them digitally. Most of the CDs are available here on Amazon, for varying prices, if you think you might go for that, but yeah...have no idea why they aren't digital. They're such great books. 

Yes, the Cherry Jones versions. I could've sworn that they were on Audible earlier this summer, then disappeared when we were on a road trip and I actually wanted to download them. Maybe I was wrong though and just *thought* I saw them... 

Yes, the Cherry Jones versions. I could've sworn that they were on Audible earlier this summer, then disappeared when we were on a road trip and I actually wanted to download them. Maybe I was wrong though and just *thought* I saw them... 

That is so frustrating! I wonder if it's not some sort of contractual/money issue--I always suspected that money/legal stuff was the reason it took years and years for Harry Potter to finally be made available on Audible. Maybe Little House will come eventually? (Likewise, I wonder if there is a place somewhere on Audible customer service where you can put in a "vote" for certain titles you'd like to see them add?) If I get a chance to look into it, I will post....

The Little House books were available to pre-order on Audible this summer and, I think, disappeared before they were actually released.  The titles still show up on my Wishlist with the message "This item is not currently available for purchase on Audible.com. We apologize for the inconvenience."   I contacted Customer Service to find out if they were going to be released at a later date and got the run around but no real answers.  My best guess is that it iscontractual/money issue -- the books were just finally released on Kindle this spring for such reasons -- or that there is some sort issue with the actual audio or they want to sync them with the Kindle editions.  

Holding out hope (and credits) that they will come out soon! 

• Like 3

Bummer, can't believe I missed them on Audible, I'd have scarfed them up on the spot. Book Depository still sells the cds, which you could upload to your computer & then transfer digitally to an ipod or other such device.. It's not as simplistic as Audible, but it works & then the cds can go up on a shelf to avoid being scratched.

• 1 month later...

I've never seen them in digital format, only as CDs. It's true, about the scratched library CDs, LOL, what a pain in the neck! We gave up on library copies a few years back, and ended up purchasing all the audiobooks on CDs. :blushing:  Yeah, all of them. I think of audiobooks as a great investment, since my girls listen to them again and again and again. Also, diehard Little House fans here.

• 2 months later...