Menu

soft boiled eggs and toast

Melissa in Australia

115 members have voted

1. 1. when you have a soft boiled egg, do you

• just eat it with a spoon?
    • pull out the whole egg and spread it on toast?
    • cut the toast up into long thin slices and dip it into the egg?
    • cut up the toast into long thin slices and dip it into the egg - and call the toast soldier bread
    • what are these eggs that you talk about?
    • other

I'm a big fan of Brit Lit and TV so I've definitely seen it done..... I could never eat it that way though,  :ack2: . We do over medium fried eggs (whites are completely cooked, yellows are runny) and dip toast pieces in the runny yellow then eat the cooked whites on another piece of toast. 

The way I've seen it done in the UK is with set whites and runny yolks.  You dip the soldiers in the yolk, then eat the white with a teaspoon.  I don't like runny yolks but could eat them if necessary.  Not runny whites though.

• Like 2

The way I've seen it done in the UK is with set whites and runny yolks.  You dip the soldiers in the yolk, then eat the white with a teaspoon.  I don't like runny yolks but could eat them if necessary.  Not runny whites though.

:iagree: that is what we would  call a soft boiled egg- runny yolk but set whites. runny whites would be considered a raw egg. I am not eating a raw egg

• Like 3

We don't eat them runny. Doesn't it have a salmonella risk? I'm kind of gagging just thinking about it. I think I had eggs "over easy" as a kid but never in a cup and never with bread, but I quit eating them like that when they started putting warnings on menus. Is soft boiled the same texture as over easy?  I think I must have been under 7 yrs old the last time I ate it like that. 

I buy pasteurized eggs to avoid the salmonella risk because DH and I like runny eggs.  If eggs are an ingredient, I use regular eggs.

The CDC says to cook eggs and egg dishes to 160* unless pasteurized eggs are used. http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellaeggs/

I've never had a soft boiled egg, and I don't think egg cups are common in the US, but my kids and I have read enough British lit to know that they're toast soldiers. We would probably really like them though since no one in my family will eat a fried egg if the yolk is solid: if we accidentally cook the yolk too firm that means the dogs get that egg and we make another one, LOL. 

• Like 1

I've never had a soft boiled egg, and I don't think egg cups are common in the US, but my kids and I have read enough British lit to know that they're toast soldiers. We would probably really like them though since no one in my family will eat a fried egg if the yolk is solid: if we accidentally cook the yolk too firm that means the dogs get that egg and we make another one, LOL.

I like this type of egg cup for everyday. You can eat a peeled egg in the big part or eat an egg in the shell in the bottom part.

https://www.amazon.com/Harold-Company-Double-Porcelain-White/dp/B00S4RDPOO/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1474632753&sr=1-17&keywords=Egg+cup

• Like 1

p.s. I really prefer scrambled eggs, but getting out and washing the bowl and fork to scramble the egg usually isn't important enough to me to go to the extra trouble.

Being an unfortunate mix of unsophisticated and lazy I usually just break the egg into my plastic coffee travel mug once the early morning coffee is finished, put my fingers over the holes and shake vigorously!

• Like 1

While I have never really eaten many boiled eggs (hard or soft), I have definitely seen people eat them the way you describe.

In my family eggs and toast was usually a bit of the bread slice punched out and then pan toasted with the egg cooked in the hole of the toast. Or toast and scambled eggs cooked seperately.

When I was a child I agreed with the "only well done scrambled" peeps. Then as an adult I had a poached egg with a softer yolk (in a setting where I wanted/needed to quietly eat what was served) and realized that my tastes had changed. I will still eat scrambled eggs or omelets on occasion but mostly I eat them over easy now, the the runny yolk running out and flavoring my hash or toast. I'll make them over medium for my egg sandwiches but if they get to over hard my sandwich is ruined, lol. I make egg sandwiches with scrambled eggs for the boys but I think they are missing out.

I think any egg cooked other than scrambled dry is repulsive. Like, vomit inducing. I'd eat the toast.

Fried, poached, boiled, scrambled, whatever, it has to be killed.  That is actually how I order fried eggs - 'kill it'.  Now a rock hard fried or poached egg on toast - yummy.  

Two of my dds eat them all runny, mixed up in their hashbrowns or with toast.  I turn away.  I didn't raise them like that.

:iagree: that is what we would  call a soft boiled egg- runny yolk but set whites. runny whites would be considered a raw egg. I am not eating a raw egg

Unless it is in cake because I am not too old to lick the beaters. Which is probably a shameful thing at my age, so it's a good thing I almost never bake cakes.

Isn't eggnog a raw egg thing? I am afraid of eggnog.