Menu

Education Unboxed Question

ReadingMama1214

We bought C-Rods to use with the education unboxed videos for PreK/K. DD has been asking lots of questions about place value and such.

For those who have used educationunboxed, did you start with the introductory videos? I didn't realize that she had those and started with the PreK/K videos but I am wondering if I should go back and do the introductory ones. DD enjoys unstructured play with the rods on her own. But I am wondering if she should know the rods backwards and forwards before we do the math concepts.

Edited by ReadingMama1214

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the intro games and play are mostly just to learn naturally the values, patterns, etc. and to form a positive association with using them :-). It certainly doesn't hurt to give some extra time just getting acquainted with them and making connections on her own.

However, I'm not sure it's necessary. We never did the intro videos fully and have used the rods/videos successfully through lots of different topics.

You might like the minicomputers from CSMP for place value. I drool in adoration over the shoes of the people who invented them. 

Thanks! I've looked at CSMP a few times and that looks really helpful. DD can count fairly high and can easily read numbers 1-10 and then 20-100, but still struggles with 11-19. I'm hoping that education unboxed helps with this and I think understanding place value will help cement the concept in.

Thanks! I've looked at CSMP a few times and that looks really helpful. DD can count fairly high and can easily read numbers 1-10 and then 20-100, but still struggles with 11-19. I'm hoping that education unboxed helps with this and I think understanding place value will help cement the concept in.

The minicomputers use the same colours as the c-rods, so they should tie together well. 

We didn't use the video sequentially. I usually just pulled one up that would help with a concept and/or for extended application of a lesson. 

This is what we did also.  I loved those videos and I think using the rods really helped my younger daughter.  I wish I had used them for my older daughter also.