Menu

A little whine about transcripts

Sebastian (a lady)

DS2 has taken dual enrollment classes at our local community college.   He also took a Chinese course at the main university campus over the summer.  All of the CC's here are part of the larger state university system. 

However each campus has it's own transcript.  He will therefore have to request a transcript from both schools for each of his college applications.  

• Like 1

As an alternative: I attached unofficial (i.e. free) transcripts for DD's community college classes to my Common App counselor section. I  added a note that the official transcript would be sent with the final school report (which only goes to the school your child commits to).

Saved a bunch on transcript fees and no one complained.

• Like 8

I'm going to have three altogether.  DD is using an early college school charter school this year, and ONE of the classes is from a different university.  I am very annoyed by that.  We will have homeschool and two college transcripts.  

I wondered about uploading the unofficial ones to the Common App.  Is that the best way to do it?  Otherwise, how do you get an official one into the common app?

As an alternative: I attached unofficial (i.e. free) transcripts for DD's community college classes to my Common App counselor section. I  added a note that the official transcript would be sent with the final school report (which only goes to the school your child commits to).

Saved a bunch on transcript fees and no one complained.

May I clarify? I'm actually working on this section right now.

So, since DS will have one community college and one university transcript to send apart from the homeschool transcript,

1. I will indicate that I am uploading 3 official transcripts right?
  2. The first is going to be his official homeschool high school transcript (final grades are from junior year but final report will show all grades -- do I have to explain this somewhere or is that understood?)
  3. Second is actually going to be an unofficial CC transcript. I will explain in the School report (under Homeschool section) that I will send the official CC transcript with the final school report.
  4. Third is actually going to be an unofficial uni transcript. I will explain in the School report (under Homeschool section) that I will send the official uni transcript with the final school report.

Does this sound right?

Thank you!

So, since DS will have one community college and one university transcript to send apart from the homeschool transcript,

• I will indicate that I am uploading 3 official transcripts right?
  • The first is going to be his official homeschool high school transcript (final grades are from junior year but final report will show all grades -- do I have to explain this somewhere or is that understood?)
  • Second is actually going to be an unofficial CC transcript. I will explain in the School report (under Homeschool section) that I will send the official CC transcript with the final school report.
  • Third is actually going to be an unofficial uni transcript. I will explain in the School report (under Homeschool section) that I will send the official uni transcript with the final school report.
Does this sound right?

Thank you!

You might want to check with the schools being applied to. Last year ours wanted official transcripts sent direct.

I did upload copies of unofficial transcripts as a backup. I did much as you described

You will want to upload a midyear report if there are midyear grades. That goes to all CA schools. The final transcript only goes to the school they will be attending.

• Like 1

• I will indicate that I am uploading 3 official transcripts right?
  • The first is going to be his official homeschool high school transcript (final grades are from junior year but final report will show all grades -- do I have to explain this somewhere or is that understood?)
  • Second is actually going to be an unofficial CC transcript. I will explain in the School report (under Homeschool section) that I will send the official CC transcript with the final school report.
  • Third is actually going to be an unofficial uni transcript. I will explain in the School report (under Homeschool section) that I will send the official uni transcript with the final school report.
Does this sound right?

Thank you!

That is along the lines of what I did:

Slot 1: high school transcript

Slot 2: course descriptions

Slot 3: CC unofficial transcript

My note about official transcript will follow was in the School Profile, under the section for the CC in the outside classes section.

None of the schools asked for an official CC transcript at application time, and I did send the final official transcript to the school where DD enrolled, but no guarantee this will work for every school.

• Like 1

I didn't send all the transcripts when my kids applied either. I sent only the transcript I made which included the CC and University courses. After they were admitted, I had official transcripts sent to the school of their choice for credit purposes. The colleges were willing to take our word for admissions purposes and only required official transcripts in order to get credit for the classes which seemed very reasonable.

• Like 1

DS2 has taken dual enrollment classes at our local community college.   He also took a Chinese course at the main university campus over the summer.  All of the CC's here are part of the larger state university system. 

However each campus has it's own transcript.  He will therefore have to request a transcript from both schools for each of his college applications.  

I had no idea you were doing the dance again this year!  Best wishes to you and ds2 on a great final year and the admissions process. How is ds1 doing?  Sorry for the sidetrack.

• Like 1

I did not send separate transcripts. We listed dd's DE classes on her home school transcript, and indicated them as such. We wanted all of her courses to be seen on one page and show continuity of subjects. 

Then just ordered official transcripts to be sent from the DE university for confirmation - we possibly could have waited for the final school but wound up sending them to the top few choices. It was only $10 per school for us. 

• Like 2

A little whine/ rant of my own. DS's DE transcript has been ordered. The good news, it's only $5 a transcript. The bad, we won't get a confirmation of the order being processed for one whole day! Not talking about sending it out. This is just about processing the credit card order. Seriously? In this day and age a credit card order takes one whole day to process? I thought it's supposed to be almost automatic.

The last thing I expected to be stressed about. End rant.

Glad to help. :laugh:

On the flip side, the university's transcript ordering system sends me an email every few hours with status of the order. As much as I like it, it also makes my heart leap every time I see the email title on my phone (and I think, oh no please don't tell me something went wrong).

Can't wait for this to be over. I've been such a bag of nerves lately.

• Like 1