Menu

So, you all were right (IEP related)...

displace

Over the summer I was e-mailing the school counselor for DS's public school.  A couple of times you (the experienced WTMF board) warned me the school would want their own evaluations and to start the process over the summer.  The school counselor promised me a couple times, "No, your paperwork is sufficient."

HAHAHA!  Fast forward five weeks in school and now we will start the whole IEP process in a couple weeks with the whole RTI malarky until December-ish.  They will accommodate him in the classroom while we go through this process (they say), so I don't mind if they truly accommodate him while this is going on.

But, we're seeking private updated evals at the Local Children's Hospital.  I haven't done evals there through the neuropsych department, just developmental peds, but have a great experience with the place in general (also their OT/PT, etc are great).  The Hospital is a nationally known children's brand.

Should I try to get private evals before the school does?  If the school messes up, can Local Children's Hospital do different tests now or is it messed up for a year?  Is it random whether the school psych will do a good job or make things more confusing?  Should I not worry about it and just let the school do whatever?  Is there a high risk of messing up with a 2e kid on even the basics, like an IQ test?

We have already planned and budgeted for evals again this fall, and I actually delayed scheduling them because I thought the 504 was going through instead of the IEP.   Now I'm worried if I should try to delay the school evals because I want the Local Children's Hospital to get first dibs on testing this go-around.

What say the Hive?  (besides, "I told you so")  :blush:

Edited by displace

As far as I know the order doesn't matter. As far as I know you can meet to amend the IEP when you get new information or just think something is not working out.

That is how it has worked out for me and how I think it is supposed to be.....

But I don't know if your school will be that way. If you can hear locally that is the best thing.

Can you ask your case manager or do you have one? Or can you ask locally? If you don't have an IEP yet you might not have a case manager, but once you have one there may be somebody you can email who will actually be in the IEP meetings with you.

• Like 1

I would get a list of tests the school plans to do because there is often a 12 month period where you cannot retest with the same form. Now if there is a newer or older edition of the same test, that can be used before the 12 months is up (for example, my DD had the 5th edition of the CELF in December and the 4th edition the following June).

• Like 5

As far as I know the order doesn't matter. As far as I know you can meet to amend the IEP when you get new information or just think something is not working out.

But I don't know if your school will be that way. If you can hear locally that is the best thing.

Can you ask your case manager or do you have one? Or can you ask locally? If you don't have an IEP yet you might not have a case manager, but once you have one there may be somebody you can email who will actually be in the IEP meetings with you.

We don't have a case manager yet. Our meeting to start the IEP process is in two weeks. I've been emailing the teachers, counsellors, head teachers, etc. So complex and redundant. I am aware an IEP can be amended but idk if that process is lengthy too.

I would get a list of tests the school plans to do because there is often a 12 month period where you cannot retest with the same form. Now if there is a newer or older edition of the same test, that can be used before the 12 months is up (for example, my DD had the 5th edition of the CELF in December and the 4th edition the following June).

Okay. That's something I can ask the school psychologist.

If you want the next bit of prescience, it's that they're going to say the interventions have been enough and that he doesn't need an IEP. I've even seen schools continue to do RTI and pullouts indefinitely but refuse to call it dyslexia and refuse to give an IEP.  Someone on the boards here said in swankier districts it's not cool, not accepted to label SLDs, and I do think that's part of it.  

So reality is, HAVING the disability is not enough.  He actually has to require specialized instruction or services for it.  

What will this fight get you, btw?  You should figure out what you're trying to make happen.  Next, they're shafting you saying RTI before beginning the IEP process.  RTI, legally, can fit iNTO the IEP process.  So you've got to make them follow the law.  The law says anyone can make the request for evals.  Right now you're letting THEM decide.  Did you make a formal, written request?  Then the RTI must fit into that.  Read your state laws.  Read the law.  

If this fight matters and the outcome matters, you're going to need to step up your game.

• Like 6

You had previous psych evals right?  You had that and hired intervention for a year.  You had more than enough evidence.  You don't need to pay for more evals.  You need to enforce the IEP timeline and not let them stall.  Make a formal written request, start the IEP timeline, and learn the law so you can force them to do it.  Don't play nice and don't answer or sign ANYTHING when you don't know what you're doing.  NOTHING.  All these polite little emails are actually DAGGERS, swords to fall on.  They have legal implications and you're playing along with them instead of finding out the law and using it to advocate.

• Like 3

If you want the next bit of prescience, it's that they're going to say the interventions have been enough and that he doesn't need an IEP. I've even seen schools continue to do RTI and pullouts indefinitely but refuse to call it dyslexia and refuse to give an IEP.  Someone on the boards here said in swankier districts it's not cool, not accepted to label SLDs, and I do think that's part of it.  

So reality is, HAVING the disability is not enough.  He actually has to require specialized instruction or services for it.  

What will this fight get you, btw?  You should figure out what you're trying to make happen.  Next, they're shafting you saying RTI before beginning the IEP process.  RTI, legally, can fit iNTO the IEP process.  So you've got to make them follow the law.  The law says anyone can make the request for evals.  Right now you're letting THEM decide.  Did you make a formal, written request?  Then the RTI must fit into that.  Read your state laws.  Read the law.  

If this fight matters and the outcome matters, you're going to need to step up your game.

So, I'm aware only from podcasts that IEPs are good for students (protective and providing rights to access to care).  I never sought an IEP.  I asked for only 504 accommodations.  In my mind, having an IEP may be protective, etc.  But, a lot of things typical families use an IEP for, I am not.  

I don't care whether they provide remediation or in class therapy (if they do and it's helpful, great.  But I'm working on the assumption that getting services will - 1) take forever, and 2) be of minimal help).  I am continuing to provide services myself.  

The school does not use diagnoses.  I understand it's their policy, and I'll bring the updated recommendations that we should be using commonly accepted LD terms (not that current policy will sway them).   

They will be doing RTI while "gathering evidence".  We do Not have current testing.  Last time any tests were done was 2 years ago, and not through the school process.  

I will ask what is the possible benefit of this whole process (besides free testing if we want their results or testing).  As I said, we are doing remediation and I'm not depending on the school.  And actually, probably only his dysgraphia will qualify for services.  If we need to go through this process to ask for extra time, typing, scribe, etc, then so be it.  As long as the teachers are allowing that in the class anyway and not preventing it's use, I'm okay for the moment.  In my state we also have a scholarship program where you can use state funds for private education for IEPs in place.  I don't think DS is at that point, but in the future it may be a good option.  

They will use one of his diagnoses (a medical one) to implement in house accommodations starting next week.  We haven't had the formal meeting, but the teachers are already allowing him to type, dictate, are scribing for him, allow him to do assignments orally instead of written, etc.  The counselor also briefly mentioned extra time, teacher copied notes instead of student notes.  Plus "regular accommodations", like special paper, slant board, rulers, sitting close to the board, etc.

The formal request I will do in a couple weeks.  It's a primary meeting with a school psych, ESE, teachers, counselor, and others.  I should probably as for an OT.  I don't think they have one.  They have SLT but they don't treat dyslexia with SLT at the schools.  I believe the school does not have OT on staff or OG trained staff.  I feel his dyslexia is remediated to grade-level now, which I think will not get him services.  Which we are continuing at home anyway. 

He is currently in a full day gifted program and I don't think I'm keen on pull out for services anyway because the program is why he's in public school, not for therapy or remediation.  If that makes sense?  I will read my state laws but I'm pretty sure the IEP diagnoses will be an "other".

Edited by displace

You had previous psych evals right?  You had that and hired intervention for a year.  You had more than enough evidence.  You don't need to pay for more evals.  You need to enforce the IEP timeline and not let them stall.  Make a formal written request, start the IEP timeline, and learn the law so you can force them to do it.  Don't play nice and don't answer or sign ANYTHING when you don't know what you're doing.  NOTHING.  All these polite little emails are actually DAGGERS, swords to fall on.  They have legal implications and you're playing along with them instead of finding out the law and using it to advocate.

He had neuropsych evals 2-3 years ago.  He was super young at the time and part of the evals included a RIAS.  He does need to get them repeated but I wonder I should persue personal testing first, just take their evals and let the private psych at Local Children's Hospital do separate testing, etc.  I guess I'll speak to the intake person at Local Children's Hospital to ask.

So, I'm confused what legal implications my e-mails may be having?  In my mind, I'm outsourcing DS's education to the public school for some subjects (math, science, LA, PE, art, social fun, etc).  We do remediation at home with typing, working on handwriting and reversals, spelling, and phonics, plus OT/VT.  If they accommodate him properly in class (IMO, that means he's working well, not frustrated by public school IRT his disabilities, not having negative emotional/behavioral consequences) I feel that's okay.  And we're getting 504 paperwork done in the meantime while waiting for the IEP.  

If they don't or can't accommodate, then we will homeschool again.  Public school administration and jumping through hoops are different challenges than homeschooling but at the moment I'm willing to work through them.  Now they've started accommodating and the first few weeks he probably didn't need accommodations because there was so little they were doing.

Edited by displace

I think you need to get more details about when he is having RTI and if he is being pulled out for it.

It sounds like you don't want him pulled out.

But here RTI is pull out, but as a parent you may not sign anything ahead of time saying he is being pulled out and what he is being pulled from.

Maybe this is a non-issue but honestly I would email the teacher instead of get a surprise you don't like at parent-teacher conference a month from now.

Unless it is like -- they are doing centers or small groups, and his small group is the RTI group, or they have some centers that are for RTI but all the kids are doing centers (like -- differentiated instruction within the classroom, but they are calling it RTI) ---- then what is his RTI? Bc here truly it is usually a form of what I as a parent would call pull-out. But in school pull-out means something really specific so to them they say "RTI is not pull-out instruction" but to me I think of pull-out like "taken from the classroom" and so it is an odd usage to me, and confusing and not what I think it means when someone describes something as not being pull-out.

I think just ask -- bc I got confused this way, and would rather have known at the time, instead of thinking one thing and finding out it was something different at parent teacher conference.

Edit: to me "pull-out" means my child is out of the classroom during a time other kids are in the classroom. To school "pull-out" means the child is in a different instruction totally. So when they are saying "no, this is not pull-out" they don't mean they aren't taking the child from the classroom.

Also it might be really fine with you! It just seems like you might not know what the RTI is specifically and he might be leaving the classroom more than you think..... This was my experience at least! And it really did work out fine, but I did not like what I felt was a lack of communication about it. But to them it is just not a big deal that they think they need to go out of their way to communicate about, or they think they will have them go a month and then have information to share at parent-teacher conference.

I don't know -- but I would have wanted to send an e-mail just to know, at the time, if I had realized.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

This is the kind of thing just to ask about.... Sometimes RTI (in practice) going to the computer lab and doing some computer program that generates a score report that shows scores and gaps.

Then maybe you work with a teacher or in a small group.

Or maybe you just keep going to the computer lab and your RTI consists of doing a computer program.

So if you don't know ---- would you be annoyed to find he had spent a month being taken from the classroom to go in the computer lab?

Now none of that may be what RTI is like where you are.

But if you would be annoyed to find out "oh, in plain English you mean he will miss science to go in the computer lab" then that is a bit of a worst case scenario (the real worst case scenario is if he is taken out of classroom instruction and doesn't get something as good in its place) and you might be able to hear it off with an email -- maybe in that situation it could be changed to just doing it the minimum time to get the score report, or something like that. Or maybe it seems good.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

To be honest, with how it can be set up here, I am getting a "we will get the score report from the computer" vibe. Which can be good! But if you don't know if that is definitely what they are or aren't doing when they say "RTI" then you don't know.

And for you and what you are doing, I don't think it necessarily sounds really helpful.

Unless you would like him to spend time on a computer program! Bc it could seem like a good fit for him!!!!!

I just have an impression like it could be something where it is now what you want and not helpful for getting accommodations in the classroom (vs. having time spent on a solid computer program working on reading -- which could be what it is).

It is what I would think locally, bc they have Lexia and it works good with a lot of kids, and it is used for RTI, and it generates a score report they like to use.

But I don't think it is directly a path towards getting accommodations! It is a path to getting some targeted remediation while being..... In the computer lab while the rest of the class is doing something else your child is not doing. Which could be great or not depending on various things, but here yes they could do that without explaining it all to you as a parent ahead of time or asking for a signature. Because to them it is So different from the IEP or "pull-out" things where they do have to have a parent meeting and stuff before they start doing it.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Thanks for the additional insights.  It's important for me to know ahead of time problems that might come up in this process.

For an update:  I spoke more to the counselor and now she's saying again we can pursue just accommodations without seeking an IEP if I don't want to.  

She has basically agreed to everything the developmental ped suggested except audio books (because he's reading at grade level).  She remarked that they don't service dysgraphia by itself, he would not qualify for services for his dyslexia because his reading level is good (good enough for them at least to not have services), and an IEP would only be for remedial work.  They also wouldn't teach spelling, phonics, etc.  ATM I don't think the school would do anything we need so I'm going to defer the IEP process and just seek private evals.  

If something more shows up on testing (executive function concerns or IDK what?), and we need support through the school, we'll see.  If they can provide it without disrupting the good things about school, and it's helpful, then sure.  Or if the accommodations are not enough (typing doesn't solve his problems with writing essays, doing his math, etc), then an IEP will be needed.  If that happens, then the process would have been delayed by at least a couple months.

• Like 1

I would still check with the classroom teacher on the RTI issue, bc that can be through the teacher and the counselor might not know.

To me I don't know why he would be in RTI when he is reading at grade level, but I would wonder if the counselor mentioned it to the teacher, and maybe the teacher thinks you want it.

I would just check with the teacher, not only the counselor, on that.

Just as a thought!

It sounds like things are going pretty good :)

I am in the midst of a thing, myself, and yet things are going very well overall. It goes that way sometimes, sigh.

• Like 1

FWIW, in my area, the local branded Children's Hospital is not where we go for neuropsych services as they do not have a super reputation for this type of kid.  Here there are lots of private neuropsychs and ed psychs.  We used an ed psych who also does admissions testing for the local gifted schools and teaches at a university on the topic of gifted ed; she's very experienced at teasing apart 2e issues.  I'd be wary of whether the children's hospital was good for 2e, not only for ferreting out the issues but writing up the recommendations for the 504.  Ask around, ask people who might know (friends of yours who have 2e kids, people in the local gifted community, local service providers like a private SLP, COVD, etc.), not only about the Children's department but also get specific dr names.

I would still check with the classroom teacher on the RTI issue, bc that can be through the teacher and the counselor might not know.

To me I don't know why he would be in RTI when he is reading at grade level, but I would wonder if the counselor mentioned it to the teacher, and maybe the teacher thinks you want it.

I would just check with the teacher, not only the counselor, on that.

Just as a thought!

It sounds like things are going pretty good :)

I am in the midst of a thing, myself, and yet things are going very well overall. It goes that way sometimes, sigh.

The whole thing is complex. I agree with the sigh. :)

I don't even know what they would do for RTI if they don't even provide services for handwriting (which is the biggest concern for DS in the classroom, the dysgraphia). They did say they provide services with someone going into the classroom, and were quick to say they don't "pull out", so that was accurate.

I must say I'm grateful we had the ability and resources to remediate while homeschooling for the last two years. I can't even imagine having them remediate DS in public school. I truly feel for families fighting for their kids' rights to an education. And thankfully we have technology everywhere and DS can just type to overcome a lot of difficulties ATM.

Edited by displace

Drive by comment...

Lecka is right, but this is not how it works for 2e kids. They just get denied services to start with, so there is no IEP to amend. To get the IEP or services up front, you must have your ducks in a row. It's a one-time shot, basically.

If you don't need more from the school, then I would NOT seek an IEP until you have evidence on a personal level (your own frustration or your child's frustration) that school is becoming "too difficult" with specific anecdotes about how this looks and affects the education AND up-to-date private evaluations IN HAND (up-to-date will probably be used by the school in whatever way they want to spin things). 

The process is called the ETR process, and it sounds like they are making the case for you that your son doesn't need an IEP. If you think it's a maybe, don't do this now. Do it later when you are prepared. Take notes now--if they say x is not needed because y, then you are not going to be able to get an IEP until you can counter those kinds of statements with solid data. Data can be all kinds of things, but the more objective the better (and then use the subjective parts to strengthen the argument). Any place the objective data is borderline, you'll need solid subjective evidence and maybe even a professional advocate.

Each district is different, but that's my experience. Our district was nice, except for the school psych. But even then, we pushed and came in with mounds of arguments in favor of an IEP (or IEPs since both my kids are 2e and not flunking anything, and in both cases, it took a lot of persuasion with the testing).

• Like 3

I agree that if there is some doubt that he would qualify for an IEP, it may be better to wait on the school evaluations and pursue the private ones instead. Because if they deny he needs an IEP, it may be hard to reverse that decision in the future, if difficulties arise. I don't know the legal standing on that, but I do know that our special ed coordinator mentioned that if an IEP is denied, it's not easy to overturn that until a certain period of time has passed. And, as I'm sure you know, it is common for students with dyslexia to hit a wall in later grades when they must read textbooks to learn the material.

On the other hand, reasons for getting an IEP now could include

* being prepared to apply for the state scholarship in case you decide you need to switch to a private school program

* having services lined up in a legal way, in case something happens where you are unable to continue remediating his dyslexia at home

Just because life happens, and sometimes plans change, it's good to think ahead.

I do wonder, though. If you did not request an IEP, but the school wanted to start the process -- why? What are they seeing? And why are they now willing not to pursue it? Or were they perhaps going to do the evaluations as part of the 504 process?

• Like 3

Drive by comment...

Lecka is right, but this is not how it works for 2e kids. They just get denied services to start with, so there is no IEP to amend. To get the IEP or services up front, you must have your ducks in a row. It's a one-time shot, basically.

If you don't need more from the school, then I would NOT seek an IEP until you have evidence on a personal level (your own frustration or your child's frustration) that school is becoming "too difficult" with specific anecdotes about how this looks and affects the education AND up-to-date private evaluations IN HAND (up-to-date will probably be used by the school in whatever way they want to spin things).

The process is called the ETR process, and it sounds like they are making the case for you that your son doesn't need an IEP. If you think it's a maybe, don't do this now. Do it later when you are prepared. Take notes now--if they say x is not needed because y, then you are not going to be able to get an IEP until you can counter those kinds of statements with solid data. Data can be all kinds of things, but the more objective the better (and then use the subjective parts to strengthen the argument). Any place the objective data is borderline, you'll need solid subjective evidence and maybe even a professional advocate.

Each district is different, but that's my experience. Our district was nice, except for the school psych. But even then, we pushed and came in with mounds of arguments in favor of an IEP (or IEPs since both my kids are 2e and not flunking anything, and in both cases, it took a lot of persuasion with the testing).

Okay. So if I'm wanting/needing an IEP I should have my evidence. And since he's remediated enough to be at grade level currently and they don't service handwriting, I can't think of what I could use an IEP for ATM.

The counselor, when I mentioned private Evals, was quick to support their psych and how much classroom experience they have, etc. It was meant to be encouraging, I think. But instead it worked the opposite way, making me feel I really need to get private Evals.

• Like 1

I agree that if there is some doubt that he would qualify for an IEP, it may be better to wait on the school evaluations and pursue the private ones instead. Because if they deny he needs an IEP, it may be hard to reverse that decision in the future, if difficulties arise. I don't know the legal standing on that, but I do know that our special ed coordinator mentioned that if an IEP is denied, it's not easy to overturn that until a certain period of time has passed. And, as I'm sure you know, it is common for students with dyslexia to hit a wall in later grades when they must read textbooks to learn the material.

On the other hand, reasons for getting an IEP now could include

* being prepared to apply for the state scholarship in case you decide you need to switch to a private school program

* having services lined up in a legal way, in case something happens where you are unable to continue remediating his dyslexia at home

Just because life happens, and sometimes plans change, it's good to think ahead.

I do wonder, though. If you did not request an IEP, but the school wanted to start the process -- why? What are they seeing? And why are they now willing not to pursue it? Or were they perhaps going to do the evaluations as part of the 504 process?

I have never thought or considered about denial of an IEP and difficulty in the future! I do think we would have gotten one two years ago before we had diagnosed him, because the reading level was so low. But at the time he was hating school, sad, felt stupid and defeated. Plus the schools didn't have OG specialists, it took months to get an OT for that school, and the regular class instruction would continue teaching him how to guess while reading. So homeschool solved those problems. And I didn't want to wait even a week after diagnosis, so we left.

Our back up plan would include a private tutor to finish up if I can't. Reading instruction will probably be over in a year or less, with only spelling and OT left over. Who knows about future difficulty with composition but probably a tutor could cover that too.

As for the whole IEP process, she discussed our case with the head of accommodations for the county (I think?). I assume it's because she needed help with it after she mentioned to me it was the most difficult 504 she's had. And the person said because of the known diagnoses it needed to go through the IEP process. And then either something I said or she thought of changed it back to a 504. And my conversation with her, discussing lack of remediation for "on level" abilities, and for dysgraphia, solidified my thoughts that it's a lot of process for little benefit.

Idk about going through all this to remediate to IQ level for reading. Honestly we still listen to higher level books, he's reading what the other gifted kids are in class, and for free reading at school he's practicing his reading level, so I'm okay if he is doing okay.

And as for using an IEP to get the state scholarship, a lot of specialty schools are so far away from us that we'd never use them except in a personal emergency where there were no other options for tutors or homeschooling again.

• Like 1

Eventually you will want an IEP for paper trail and testing accommodations. Or can his 504 do that?

I have to see. I don't really think about it but I know that's important. I think for our state testing at least, if the students already has accommodations in place, they can be used for that. Idk about higher level tests.

I have always understood that IEP covered tutoring for reading/math, OT, a scribe or oral test taking, and modification of work assignments, like reduced problem and homework sets. Since your boy is on level for math and reading, handwriting seems like the only issue. If he is keeping up with all school assignments and there is no issue with handwriting in spite of the dysgraphia, I don't expect the school will do anything until he fails or his work starts seriously slipping.

I don't quite understand the 504 thing. If DS were to go back to a reg class, he would require extended test taking time, access to the school's network for turning in typed assignments, copies of teacher notes, and allowed use of a keyboard with word processor. I was told that 504 covered these things, but IDK as we never opted to endure the process. Some schools allow laptops without a 504.

I guess I don't understand why you are bothering with any of this. In your case, I would find a disinterested 3rd party to consult with and serve as an advocate. Yes, get testing and let the school know the results so that they are not surprised when issues eventually arise. I don't believe schools typically behave proactively to meet the needs of their off nominal students, especially a student that is 2e. IEP and 504 are legally binding documents. Schools look upon those documents as shackles and will do all they can to avoid providing them to students. Maybe I'm wrong. For your sake, I hope that I am.

• Like 1

You might be wise to find an advocate and *ask* what the implications are.  You're asking the school to tell you, and they aren't exactly the most unbiased source for information.   ;)  Some states allow for diagnosis based on discrepancy and some do not.  So merely being at grade level isn't a deal breaker in some states.  If there's at least 2SD of discrepancy between IQ and achievement in an area, he still qualifies.  Could be social, reading, writing, anything.  

The school is going to run their evals no matter what, because they need data.  They can accept your previous IQ.  So make it simple for yourself to analyze.  Is there discrepancy between IQ and achievement in any of the areas?  Should he be qualifying for specialized instruction? Are they doing specialized instruction?  Personally, I don't get why they're doing RTI with a kid who has already had so much paid intervention.  But then we told you they would.  So go to your state dept of education website, look up RTI, and see what the law says.  In our state the law, as per the dept of ed website, says RTI fits INTO the IEP process and cannot be used to delay it.  The only way they get permission to let it delay the IEP process is when you answer some backhanded question or statement (this is what we're going to do, blah blah) and don't fight it.  That's the little stuff where they go back and say see, you gave permission, you ok'ed that change.  

If he's having specialized instruction, get the IEP.  The district person said it should be IEP.  Your school is for the gifted, yes?  So they don't know what they're doing and are finding it easier not to bother. Don't underestimate their ability for incompetence.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

I have to see. I don't really think about it but I know that's important. I think for our state testing at least, if the students already has accommodations in place, they can be used for that. Idk about higher level tests.

IEPs are only put in place when a student needs special instructional and/or behavioral supports. If the student is only using accommodations in the classroom and is not going to receive special ed instruction, those will be documented on a 504 Plan. This is every bit a legal document and establishes a paper trail. When applying for College Board or ACT testing accommodations later, the 504 Plan establishes that the accommodations were approved for use in the classroom. At that time, the school also needs to provide evidence that the student has regularly used accommodations in the 504 Plan.

• Like 3