Menu

Handwriting issues

juliebee

My 5 year old is beginning to write. She begins all of her letters and numbers at the bottom of the line instead of in the appropriate format. I'm not sure what to do. When I try to correct her she says doing it the correct way "doesn't feel right" or "I can't do it that way" Any suggestions on a handwriting curriculum that might help me to correct this so that she has appropriate penmanship. "I do not like the appearance of handwriting without tears.)

Have you tried having her watch you tube videos?  Sometimes my kids are willing to accept correction from an outside source more than from me.  Don't say she is doing it wrong, just have her watch a you tube video then maybe have her practice on a lined white board before transferring to writing that way on paper.

Also, have you tried more tactile ways of writing, like in sand or with finger paint?

• Like 1

Is she left handed? My Dd starts many letters at the bottom and I've read it's more common for left handed kids. I do correct her if it's messing up her formation.

Handwriting without tears has workbooks and there is a dot where the kid should start the letter. That has helped too. But since you don't like the appearance, you could simply do this yourself by putting a dot where she should start the letter.

Edited by ReadingMama1214

HWT also has a song--where do we start our letters? At the top! (to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.") 

I avoided HWT because of the appearance too, but I later realized that kids' writing doesn't look like the model, and that the methods of HWT really help. 

You might also have her do things like air-writing with large arm movements instead of putting pencil to paper. 

• Like 1

The Writing Road to Reading has excellent handwriting instruction, very specific directions. You could use that even if you don't want to do the whole Spalding Method with her. :-)

Now is the time to work on correct letter formation. Even if she gets cranky because it "doesn't feel right." Yes, she *can* do it the right way (because there *is* a right way).

You can also have her practice drawing properly formed circles using chocolate pudding or whipped cream. :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things that might help from the HWT model (die hard HWT user here):

Does she like to sing?  They had a cd with cute little songs about handwriting, including the relevant, "Where Do We Start Our Letters? At The Top!"

The slate board was a huge hit with both of my boys.  Maybe let her use it but only if she'll start her letters at the correct spot?

We used tactile letters to start with.  The raised arrows make the child correct their method before they even put pen to paper.   It does not feel right to go against them, for it to feel smooth one must start at the dot and go with the arrows.

We went from those, to sand writing, to chalkboard (for better control), to finally pencil.

• 2 weeks later...