Menu

Geometry help...PLEASE

My DS11 is finishing up his last chapter of MM 5B (Geometry). I am about ready to pull out every strand of hair left on my head - LOL!!!! Seriously!!!

He does well at all other math (he is not advanced nor behind), but we just struggle so much with this. And....he tries to do it in his head. I can't even see where he went wrong because he isn't writing anything down except the answer (most of the time). I have talked about showing his work and the steps he took to get his answers (in general for all math) and that I can't help him if I don't know how he did the problem. I have told him I will not accept any math work at this point that doesn't show his work. I don't care if he sits there for 3 hours writing it down. Anyway...that is a whole different issue :-(.

So...what would you use for a supplement for Geometry? I have the whole package for Key to Geometry I picked up at a curriculum sale for $30. All brand new books (1-8) and answer keys. Key To Decimals and Key to Fractions has worked well in the past. Should I try this or can you recommend something else?

I do go over each incorrect problem with him and will go over the instructions for the day's work before we start. At some point the light bulb goes on and he finishes correcting his work for that day. Then he gets it wrong when he has to do it again another day or on his review/test. I'm at a loss...

Sorry to vent :-(

I haven't looked at the newer edition of MM, but in the old one, the geometry coverage was kind of boring.  Honestly I'd just move on.  It'll get covered again.  

(My favorite coverage of geometry would be the geometry chapters in AoPS Prealgebra though I wouldn't go buying the book just for those.  There are also some videos - see the list for chapters 10, 11, 12.)

• Like 4

I haven't looked at the newer edition of MM, but in the old one, the geometry coverage was kind of boring.  Honestly I'd just move on.  It'll get covered again.  

(My favorite coverage of geometry would be the geometry chapters in AoPS Prealgebra though I wouldn't go buying the book just for those.  There are also some videos - see the list for chapters 10, 11, 12.)

:iagree:   I love, love, loved Math Mammoth.  But not the geometry.  At all.

Despair not and move on.  Great advice.

• Like 2

I know I only received 2 responses yesterday, but I just wanted to say thanks :-)!! My son' eyes were huge when I went back to the school room, grab his geometry chapter, and proceeded to shred it! He thought that was the greatest thing (and huge a relief to me). We are moving on.

I think I kept plugging away because MM has worked so well for both my boys since 1st grade -- except for geometry (last year too). It felt good to just chuck it -- LOL!

• Like 6

Agreeing with the move on advice!

My Dd got bogged down in that chapter too. Not as much for lack of understanding as for tedium.

I had her skip about half the problems, once I realized the situation. It was still slooow. So I spent an evening reading the chapter carefully, summarized the important concepts, went over them with Dd the next day and proceeded to print MM 6A, dumping 5B into the recycle bin.

I know I only received 2 responses yesterday, but I just wanted to say thanks :-)!! My son' eyes were huge when I went back to the school room, grab his geometry chapter, and proceeded to shred it! He thought that was the greatest thing (and huge a relief to me). We are moving on.

I think I kept plugging away because MM has worked so well for both my boys since 1st grade -- except for geometry (last year too). It felt good to just chuck it -- LOL!

:hurray:   Good for you! 

He thought he wanted to be an architect until we started this chapter -- LOL!!!

My DD (now 14) found the MM geometry to be tear-worthy.  Yesterday, our Zometools math bucket came (I got it and a Zometools geometry book to - hopefully - help with real geometry which starts next month.)  I lost track of her during a break.  Found her in the living room, playing happily with her new "toy" and creating geometric figures.  So give him time; the love may come back!  (And I had some lovely flashbacks to a little person playing with Tinker Toys - :001_wub: )

• Like 2

We are finishing the 2013 Edition.  Moving into 2016 Edition for 6th and 7th.  Ok...I actually have AoPS Prealgebra for his twin.  I will look at it!

He thought he wanted to be an architect until we started this chapter -- LOL!!!

Yeah, best not to let him think geometry is not for him.  It's great for big-picture kids, which is why the tedium of the MM chapter doesn't go over well.  Definitely take a look at the aops chapters later - they are great.  Some of my kids will start laughing when I say, "The chicken crossed the road at a 22 degree angle to the side of the road..."

Edited by wapiti

We love MM, but we ditched the geometry starting in 5th and then used this free download for constructions in 6th grade. It was our "fun Friday math".

https://chps-tandl.wikispaces.com/file/view/Hands+on+Geometry.pdf

Now in 7th she's doing CTC Understanding Geometry on Fridays - probably will take her into 8th grade too. Much better and not tear inducing like MM Geometry.

• Like 2