Menu

A math contest [Enigma - Edfinity]

epi

Hmm, would you sign your kid up by age or current level in that subject?

By what grade my kids would be if in school. Same as for all other math contests like Math Kangaroo, Mathnasium Trimathalon, AMC8.

I agree. Just use the grade they are in, or would be in, in school, based on age. They compete against their age/grade peers, even if they are accelerated in math. Plenty of other contestants are accelerated too. (I'm sure you can do a higher grade if you want.) I've never seen this contest before, so I don't know the difficulty level, but I assume there'll be be some tougher questions to separate out the top contestants. Anyway, we're enrolling in grade based on age, and telling DS it's low stakes, just have fun, but avoid careless mistakes.

This is Australian? Does it matter? Do their grades correspond to US grades?

I don't know if AU grades correspond to US grades but this contest is a collaboration between a Palo Alto, US company and Australian Mathematics Trust.

"Edfinity’s mission is to enable affordable access to exceptional educational content for instruction and academic enrichment at the school and collegiate levels. We are headquartered in Palo Alto, with a distributed presence across the United States, and serve partners and users in over 25 countries.

Enigma is a collaborative initiative conducted by Edfinity in affiliation with the Australian Mathematics Trust (with a 35 year history of providing academic enrichment to over 25 million students in 30 countries) and award winning educators and researchers."

https://edfinity.com/about/company

Edited by Arcadia

• 2 weeks later...

This is Australian? Does it matter? Do their grades correspond to US grades?

I guess it's open to anyone anywhere. Just use US grade.

FWIW we "splurged" the $2.99 for the practice materials. It was US$2.99, but the questions have Australian/English spelling (e.g. colour, litre etc), so there's the international aspect.

• 1 month later...

Got the email notification that the challenges are open now.

"Round 1 of the Enigma Mathematics Challenge 2016 is now open. Sign in to take the challenge before November 18th."

"Round 1 of the Enigma CAT Challenge 2016 is now open. Sign in to take the challenge before November 18th."

My son did the math and computational tests yesterday.  Anyone else do them?  He found them fun.  

I haven't gotten any results back about if he made it to round 2 or not - I suppose that would come after the testing window is closed on the 18th?  Anyone familiar with it?

We don't seem to be getting emails from them, so I'd be curious if anyone is getting emails about Round 1 results and/or seeing anything new on the website.

Got this email at 4pm.

"Congratulations! You are one of the top 30% of performers in Enigma Mathematics Challenge 2016 Grades 5-6, and have qualified to participate in Round 2 of the challenge."

ETA:

My 7th grader got in to both math and CAT too. Now to see if it's easy to find a librarian willing to be a proctor.

Edited by Arcadia

I had massive technical difficulties with trying to create separate logons for each of my kids. My fault for leaving it until the last day I guess! Ms. 8 got an email today advising that she qualified for Round 2, but Mr. 13 didn't even get a confirmation of entry, so I'm guessing his didn't submit properly. (Ms. 11 didn't end up doing it as I couldn't get her set up.)

Ms. 8 got an email today advising that she qualified for Round 2, but Mr. 13 didn't even get a confirmation of entry, so I'm guessing his didn't submit properly.

My DS10's username is my email but my DS11's username is his nickname. I had to login to DS11's account to see that he qualified for math and CAT.

I only heard back about the CAT challenge.

Does that mean my child didn't make it into the second round of the mathematics one, or have they not got that one open for round 2 yet?

I had an email each for math and CAT for DS10 since he use my email as username. For DS11, we just login to his account and checked.

You can login to your child's account and click on the math challenge. It would show round 2 as well as round 1 if your child make it to round 2.

• Like 1

I only heard back about the CAT challenge.  

Does that mean my child didn't make it into the second round of the mathematics one, or have they not got that one open for round 2 yet?  

My dd only entered the math comp, we received an email about qualifying for the second round 3 days ago

• Like 1

The score breakdown is out. You would need to login to your child's account to see the details though. I didn't ask my kids to login to their accounts for details as we are at the library and on library wifi.

"Your results for Enigma Mathematics Challenge 2016 Grades 5-6 Round 1 are now available. You scored ** out of a possible 56 points. For a full breakdown of your score, look here."

"Your results for Enigma CAT Challenge 2016 Grades 5-6 Round 1 are now available. You scored ** out of a possible 18 points. For a full breakdown of your score, look here."

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Has anyone completed round 2 yet?
My dd did it today, I was not in the room so do not know what the questions were like but they were either way harder than round 1 or she was having a bad day. She seems fairly convinced she got everything wrong and judging by the fact that she called out "I have no idea, I don't know what to do" more than a handful of times (to be told to just have a go or guess if you really can't figure it out) I am guessing it did not go well. I am surprised she found it so hard though, she aced the first one and before doing round 2 today I got her to do the practice questions for the next grade level category above her current one and she aced that too.
Well, I guess we will see in a couple of weeks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DS10 did the second round yesterday. He didn't finish. I think it was a great experience for him. He got frustrated, but persevered, and came away still pondering the one he almost finished. Definitely a good exposure to more interesting, and more discrete, math than he gets in school. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We got scores back last week and DS did horribly.  :laugh: I wasn't expecting much else, but he kind of had his hopes up. I was super proud that after just a few moments of shock and disappointment, he dove in to the problems and figured out how he was meant to solve all the ones he got wrong. It turned out to be a great boost for his math interest and I'm glad we did it! I don't think we'll be doing the February round though -- we'll play with some more math, especially discrete, before we do anything like that again.

• Like 3

It would have been too difficult for us to get a proctor set up, so we had to skip round 2, unfortunately. I like the idea of this contest, but I don't know if the logistics will work for us in the future.

Yeah, us too.  Although if it hadn't been in December (when we and everyone we know is busy with all sorts of other things) it might have been more possible.  I think my child would have benefited from completing it.  Maybe next time.

• 3 weeks later...