Menu

How did they come up with this IQ number?

kimocha

The school sent me these test score. They told me we would talk about the scores at our meeting on the 30th. Can anyone give me some idea what these score may mean? Do they suggest mild intellectual disability? Her last iq (last year) was 71 now her IQ is 63. Is that to big of a drop to be considered accurate? Most of her IQ scores are in the 70s (9 scores) and 80s(5 scores). Which on the bottom of the test results shows that's what they were expecting (actual, predicted, difference). How do they come up with their predicted? How do they come up with her general IQ?

Thanks for your help,

Kim

Woodcock-Johnson IV

Gen IQ 63

Gf-Gc composite 74

Comp-knowledge (Gc) 78

Fluid reasoning (Gf). 77

S-term work mem (Gwm) 73

Cognitive efficiency. 74

Oral vocab. 73

Number series. 75

Verbal attention. 82

Letter-pattern matching. 81

Phonological processing. 59

Story recall. 76

Visualization. 89

General information 87

Concept formation. 87

Number reversed 73

Draw a person. Extremely low range lacked 5 expected items. Estimated age equivalent is about 9 years old and consistent with GIA

ABAS-3

PARENT FORM (Father & Older Sister)

Adaptive Skill Area. Standard Score

Communication. 6 Below Average

Community Use. 6 Below Average

Functional Academics 3. Extremely Low

Home Living. 8. Average

Health & Safety. 6 Below Average

Leisure 4. Low

Self-Care. 9. Average

Self- Direction. 6. Below Average

Social. 7. Below Average

General Adaptive Composite 75 Low

Conceptual (Communication; Functional Academics; Self-Direction) 71. Low

Social (Leisure; Social) 75 Low

Practical (Community Use; Home Living; Health & Safety: Self-Care) 83 Below Average

ABAS-3

TEACHER FORM (Home-school Parent Instructor)

Adaptive Skill Area. Standard Score

Communication. 5 Below Average

Community Use. 4 Low

Functional Academics 1. Extremely Low

School Living. 5. Low

Health & Safety. 7. Below Average

Leisure. 5. Low

Self-Care. 4 Low

Self- Direction 6. Below Average

Social. 6. Below Average

General Adaptive Comp. 66. Extremely Low

Conceptual (Communication; Functional Academics; Self-Direction). 66. Extremely Low

Social (Leisure; Social). 78. Extremely Low

Practical (Community Use; Home Living; Health & Safety: Self-Care) 71. Extremely Low

I haven't seen the WJ-IV, but I think what they're doing with the actual vs. predicted is allowing you to compare what achievement scores they would have expected for that IQ with what the actual achievement was.  So not all the scores will be contributing to the IQ.  Some will be achievement scores, allowing them to discriminate learning disabilities.  

That's rough that they gave you results this far in advance without a meeting for the psych to explain them.  Our ps wouldn't do that.  I've been through this 4+ times now with them, and they NEVER give up any data before a sit down meeting.  

Have you had a private eval already?  What is the purpose of your current evals with the ps?  Are you trying to use them to advocate for an IEP or scholarship eligibility?  I think in a situation like this, where a shift of 10 points can change how those achievement scores are viewed, I would want a 2nd opinion.  If there's no big bucks on the line, it may not matter.  Just depends on what you're trying to do with them.  

In other words, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you might use this 2 weeks to get a 2nd opinion to help you advocate better.  And, of course, when in doubt, sign nothing.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Our district sent us whole report 10 days before IEP meeting. Do you only get the score or you have the whole report? My son had WISC-V for his IQ and woodcock johnson for achievement test. His IQ is not able to interpret due to variance of index scores on different categories (high VCI and PSI but very low WMI). The psych suggested to use his VCI as IQ index. In his woodcock johnson score, the comparison base is the score of majority children at his age can perform and then you can compare your DC's score from there.

Honestly, though, as hard as it would be to read, I would be tempted to try to use the 63 IQ to get a diagnosis of intellectual disability that might qualify for services.  I think that would be a better situation than 71 and possibly needing services but not qualifying for them. 

Unfortunately, I think this is probably right.

I did get a "draft" report. There are no recommendations on it. Basically just explains the scores. It does also state that they show not put to much weight on the teacher scores for adaptive functioning because I am not a classroom teacher. So.... If you take out the teacher scores her adaptive functioning does not meet the requirements for a Mild Intelectual disability. Would she qualify for services based on IQ alone?

She had woodcock achievement test. In fact her scores were slightly lower than they expected which is why they wanted to do another IQ test. Most her academic scores were severely impaired a few moderately impaired.

Oh that is so absurd.  Is she in school or homeschooled?  Is the IEP going to get you anything?  In our state we have extensive disability scholarships and tiers based on disabling condition in your IEP.  You give up your FAPE and homeschool, private school, whatever, using the scholarships.  It's what my ds is on.  We did have the issue, yes, that the school didn't care about my feedback.  We ended up bringing in a private team (behaviorist and ABA tutor) and having them work with him so that the behaviors could occur with someone else.  So if the IEP really matters, you may need to get a private eval or get some legal counsel on how to proceed.  You should sign nothing till you know the consequences.  

There is a disputing process, where you can file a formal dispute and compel them to pay for private, 3rd party evals.  But really, that's going nuclear.  It would be preferred to get some counsel now, get an advocate who knows the IEP process, and let them help you sort it out.  It's not uncommon for schools NOT to follow best practices (or common sense) with homeschooler evals, because it's really just uncharted territory for them.  They don't know what they're doing and they wing it.  So if there's a lot of money on the line, you're going to need to get some help and fight.

We are homeschooling. I went in to see what elts was going on. It could not just be dyslexia that was causing all of her difficulty. She and I would like to continue homeschooling. She still likes learning and I don't want that to change. But at the same time I am afraid I am not providing her what she needs. Maybe the school knows better how to teach her. I had hopes the school would guide me on how best to teach her, recommend programs, outline resonable goals. The neorophyc we saw last year said my daughter would be able to do high school level math (does not seem resonable to me).

We do not get any money that I am aware of. But if she was labeled she would be eligible for services after high school.