Menu

Spanish (and a rant about Señor Jordan)...

First the rant.  I have heard good things about Señor Jordan here on the boards.  But aaaah!  His accent is awful.  Does it bother anyone else?  I wish there were a similar series with native speakers.

DD13 is enjoying Spanish.  Right now, she is doing Pimsleur and duolingo.  Pimsleur has made her feel like a speaker instantly.  Her accent is wonderful.  I am thinking of taking her through Madigral's Key to... book.  I really like this particular approach.  It is similar to Language Transfer, which I use, but Language Transfer's pace is too fast for her right now.

I would like to surround her with more videos and audio and podcasts, but at her level - absolute beginner.  

I did find First Step en Español etc. and like it.

Any ideas?

My daughter taught herself Spanish starting with these resources:

BOOKS:
Easy Spanish Step by Step
Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses

She also listens to Spanish radio, Spanish podcasts, reads news and books in Spanish, and used EasyPeasy's site for quizzes.

I can ask her for more ideas if you'd like.  She taught herself to be fluent in reading, writing, and listening.  She's doing DE to get speaking practice.  

Edited by Erica H
  • Like 3

Erica - you are fabulous!  I believe your previous posts were the ones that helped design a course for ME.  I am also learning Spanish, but I have had the benefit of learning in school and growing up with Puerto Rican relatives.

DD needs more "beginner" immersive resources.

I forgot about Mi Vida Loca.  DD would like that.  Is your daughter familiar with Learning Spanish like Crazy?  

I will also check out Easy Peasy.  My stepdaughter used Practice Makes Perfect last year; I will get that from her.  I will also check out the books you recommended.  

How awesome that your daughter taught herself!  My son taught himself Japanese and it is only now that I understand what an overload it can be on one's brain!! :)

• Like 1