Menu

If you plan to apply to UC schools, list your courses here... (another a-g thread)

Yes their choices are shocking but you have to remember that the people making the decision are not homeschoolers. They have no (insert expletive) idea what these decisions are doing to us.

Guys honestly, this just emphasizes how important it is to follow our children's needs. Approval will come and go. Providers will come and go. What sticks is that we be true to our goals for our kids to learn meaningful material. Good grades and good test scores won't hurt. Good personal statements won't hurt. These are the things that have always stayed true. At the end of the day the application doesn't force you to indicate if you chose approved classes. It doesn't force you to indicate if you are applying by test scores or exception. The person reading your application will make decisions based on rigor, quality, and scores and statement. All of that stays the same.

• Like 7

Theory is that they are trying to push UC Scout to the forefront of everyone's list of choices. :glare:

Hadn't thought of that, but I bet that's a likely possibility. I was thinking that maybe the higher end/more academic providers were getting fed up with whatever hoops they were having to jump to get a-g approval. 

Ultimately, for our kids, we concluded that keeping the doors open to UC schools by taking a-g approved courses was likely to have the unintended consequence of making the student less attractive to other colleges. UC Scout, Rosetta Stone, and many of the other a-g approved courses/providers I saw when I looked into a-g courses for my kids were pretty weak compared to some of the courses & providers available to homeschoolers.  I had thought things were looking up when AoPS was approved. Should have known it was too good to last.

• Like 3

Hadn't thought of that, but I bet that's a likely possibility. I was thinking that maybe the higher end/more academic providers were getting fed up with whatever hoops they were having to jump to get a-g approval.

Ultimately, for our kids, we concluded that keeping the doors open to UC schools by taking a-g approved courses was likely to have the unintended consequence of making the student less attractive to other colleges. UC Scout, Rosetta Stone, and many of the other a-g approved courses/providers I saw when I looked into a-g courses for my kids were pretty weak compared to some of the courses & providers available to homeschoolers. I had thought things were looking up when AoPS was approved. Should have known it was too good to last.

The decision took at least one a-g provider on that list, a friend of mine who offers very popular classes, by surprise.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that grading and who is overseeing the class might have something to do with this. After digging around the site more I saw that Online G-3 still had some approved classes but only if taken through a charter (in this case I was looking at Inspire). In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to push UC Scout as a leading vendor for California homeschoolers although I would note that even their science courses aren't technically a-g approved unless you have access to wet labs through a school. 

At the end of the day the application doesn't force you to indicate if you chose approved classes. It doesn't force you to indicate if you are applying by test scores or exception. The person reading your application will make decisions based on rigor, quality, and scores and statement. All of that stays the same.

Ultimately, for our kids, we concluded that keeping the doors open to UC schools by taking a-g approved courses was likely to have the unintended consequence of making the student less attractive to other colleges. 

I agree with both of these statements. I wanted my twins to get a solid education and to be competitive to colleges around the country. Because of this we forgo the a-g requirements and followed a path that was best for them. My son applied to many UC schools and got into a few. What worked for him was a very strong ACT score, solid ECs, and very strong essays. My youngest is just at the start of high school. Again I will be following his lead and exposing him to high school courses that will spur on his love for learning and prepare him to succeed at university. With those goals in mind we will definitely be skipping the a-g courses that are now approved as they do not meet my standards.  

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 5

From what I have heard that is not the case.

Do UC Scout courses require a final proctored exam? I could see how they are uncomfortable with lack of oversight or testing on some of those courses (maybe some kids with mathematician parents help out on homework for example....), but unless all the providers they left are proctoring finals, I don’t see how they are going to go around that issue.

• Like 1

Do UC Scout courses require a final proctored exam? I could see how they are uncomfortable with lack of oversight or testing on some of those courses (maybe some kids with mathematician parents help out on homework for example....), but unless all the providers they left are proctoring finals, I don’t see how they are going to go around that issue.

Teacher-led Scout courses do have proctored midterms and finals. 

• Like 2