Menu

Your favorite simple art projects that turn out to be amazing

Whichever one produces the littlest mess is always what amazes me. I haven't met my Da Vinci yet though ;)

More seriously, watercolor is a favorite in terms of pretty outcomes, especially abstracts.

So, for example, if you wanted to do a cottage in front of a mountain range, you'd pencil in the cottage and very carefully cover it in rubber cement. When it's dry it waterproofs that part of the paper and you can paint the mountains in nice smooth washes of color. When you're done just rub the rubber cement off and paint the cottage. It prevents that "outline" look you get around objects in watercolors sometimes.

You can also use the blue painter's tape to block out an area, or to make a straight line (say for a horizon).  

• 2 weeks later...

First, I do think it's important for kids to learn the process of art and explore different mediums without hovering adults worrying about the results too much. While I believe good art can be imitated in structure and form, and those things can and should be taught, they should also have free expression time.

That said, I think the best results of things I'd want to really show off and hang on my wall are often in chalk pastels. Www.hodgepodge.me has some awesome, free lessons of chalk pastel drawings. We have done some, and we get some really beautiful, and still individual, results.

Get some oil pastels and watercolor. Draw the outlines of something, buildings, bugs, trees, flowers, people, monsters, hot air balloons, whatever. Then paint with the watercolors. The oil pastels resist the water and stay in place. It looks amazing, even when pretty young children do it.