Menu

CLRC lit

• 6 months later...

I can now answer my own question. :)

If you have a liberal arts bound child, you can absolutely do both of those classes since the writing components teach different aspects of writing. For my kid though it is too much. We have persevered through both classes, but will be dropping one of them next year. CLRC isn't enough writing on its own especially for a child who needs instruction. We will do WWS3 at our own pace next year to keep the writing load manageable.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I can now answer my own question. :)

If you have a liberal arts bound child, you can absolutely do both of those classes since the writing components teach different aspects of writing. For my kid though it is too much. We have persevered through both classes, but will be dropping one of them next year. CLRC isn't enough writing on its own especially for a child who needs instruction. We will do WWS3 at our own pace next year to keep the writing load manageable.

We are going to stick it out with IEW, but was hoping to supplement with CLRC. If you had a choice to do it again, what would you supplement with? DS' writing is coming along, but I don't feel there is enough literature in the curriculum.

We are going to stick it out with IEW, but was hoping to supplement with CLRC. If you had a choice to do it again, what would you supplement with? DS' writing is coming along, but I don't feel there is enough literature in the curriculum.

CLRC isn't a writing class. It's a lit class that has has a writing component, including essays, summaries, grammar, creative responses. I can't imagine using it as a supplement. The other way around maybe. We highly dislike IEW in our home and vastly prefer WWS series.

It's hard for me to make a recommendation without knowing your child's age, strength and preferences.

We plan on a highly abbreviated WWS3 next year because I don't like not finishing programs I start.

I would consider CLRC if your child is mature enough for the reading selection and capable of writing essays about those works of literature. It won't provide a type of writing instruction either IEW or WWS does. It has a lot of writing, but assumes a kid knows how to write. The difficulty with CLRC essays lies in subject matter. Writing thoughtful essays on Chosen, Frankenstein and/or Tale of Two Cities requires maturity. If he has that maturity, the class will be a better fit.

I am not sure if I am answering your question.

• Like 1