Menu

Top 5 must reads for American/History Literature..spine?

Okay, yeah I know another vague question....I am just at the wire and am scrambling since my son's dual enrollment course fell through.  :(  I am needing to do American History this year for high school credit and then we plan on clep for college credit.  :)  He took Omnibus 3 in 7th grade so a lot of the must reads I felt were in there so trying to figure out some other must reads.  I am trying to find a good spine with a few Lit/History readings to add to it.  I could also use some lit choices for his 1/2 credit of literature we are doing this year since he already took a dual enrollment writing course this fall.  He has a heavy load this year and so I am looking to do more of a get it done lighter load for this year in history/literature and just focusing on the clep exam.  However, I don't want him to miss out on some GREAT literature.  So out of what I have listed or your ideas that he has not read what would be the best and most "moving", "applicable", and "life changing"  books?  

Any recommendations for a history text that is good and would help if it included what one needs to know for the clep exam would be a plus.  For 7th grade he did the following: 

BJU American History (11th grade text)

Frankenstein
Pride and Prejudice
Gulliver's Travels
Benjamin Franklin: The Autobiography
The Autobiography of Charles G. Finney
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Little Women
The Killer Angels
Christianity and Liberalism
Old Man and the Sea
Animal Farm
Death of a Salesman
Postmodern Times
How Should We Then Live?
Foxe's Book of Martyrs
The Westminster Confession of Faith
The Pilgrim's Progress
Of Plymouth Plantation
The Social Contract
The Federalist Papers
The Anti-Federalist Papers
A Tale of Two Cities
Reflections on the Revolution in France
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings
The Communist Manifesto
The Great Gatsby
Mein Kampf

Also has read:
Pilgrim's Progress
Pride and Prejudice
Frankenstein
Edgar Allan Poe's stories
The Scarlet Letter
Mere Christianity

Some ideas:

Clueless on a text I thought of A History of the American People but it looks so intimidating... ;)

Common Sense
John Adams (probably just watch the DVD)
Red Badge of Courage
Last of the Mohicans
Democracy in America
Important of Being Earnest
Up From Slavery
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Invisible Man
Self Reliance and Civil Disobedience
Moby Dick
Grapes of Wrath
A Dickens choice?  which one would you choose that would be the best?

Want to know your top 5 that are NOT on his 7th grade reading list (and does not have to be in my ideas).  You guys are awesome, thanks so much for your help!!!

Okay, just so I understand -- are you asking specifically for AMERICAN LIT suggestions? Or just ANY must-read classic Lit suggestions?

My suggestions to CHOOSE from for AMERICAN LIT of most frequently read for high school (EXCLUDING what you've already done):

novels:

- Moby Dick (very long novel) -OR- Billy Budd (longish novella) -OR- Bartleby the Scrivener (short story) (Melville)

- Huckleberry Finn (Twain) -- read The Day They Came to Arrest the Book as a go-along

- My Antonia (Cather)

- The Red Badge of Courage (Crane) -- or a short story by Crane

- Call of the Wild -OR- White Fang (London) -- usually done in middle school, but can be done in high school

- Grapes of Wrath (novel) -OR- The Pearl (novella) (Steinbeck)

- To Kill A Mockingbird (Lee)

- Their Eyes Were Watching God (Hurston)

- Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury)

- The Chosen (Potok)

- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)

- The Joy Luck Club (Tan)

plays -- consider watching, rather than reading, as that is how plays were intended to be experienced:

- The Crucible (Miller)

- Our Town (Wilder)

- A Raisin in the Sun (Hansberry)

short stories:

- Rip Van Winkle, or, Legend of Sleep Hollow (Irving)

- Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (Bierce)

- Gift of the Magi -OR- other story by O. Henry

- The Lady or the Tiger (Stockton)

- Story of An Hour (Chopin)

- The Most Dangerous Game (Connell)

- Jury of Her Peers (Glaspell)

- Thank You, Ma'am (Hughes)

- The Catbird Seat; The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Thurber)

- There Will Come Soft Rains; The Veldt (Bradbury)

- The Lottery (Jackson)

- Revelation -OR- Everything That Rises Must Converge -OR- A Good Man is Hard to Find (O'Connor)

poetry by:

Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Ralph Waldo Emerson, William Carlos Williams, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes ...

To better understand what you've covered, and what you are thinking of doing, I broke your lists in to categories:

YOUR IDEAS FOR THIS YEAR:

AMERICAN HISTORY

Common Sense

Democracy in America

Up From Slavery

Self Reliance and Civil Disobedience -- essays

AMERICAN LIT

Red Badge of Courage

Last of the Mohicans

Moby Dick

Grapes of Wrath

Invisible Man -- if you mean the book by Ralph Ellison -- no, it's pretty adult with difficult themes so I would NOT recommend it for a young teen -- OR, if you mean the novella The Invisible Man by HG Wells, yes that is do-able for a young teen, BUT it is British Lit.

BRITISH LIT

Important of Being Earnest

A Dickens choice?  which one would you choose that would be the best?

The Invisible Man -- if you mean the novella by HG Wells

WORLD LIT

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

WHAT YOU'VE ALREADY DONE from OMNIBUS 3

BRITISH LIT

Frankenstein

Pride and Prejudice

Gulliver's Travels

Animal Farm

The Pilgrim's Progress

A Tale of Two Cities

Pride and Prejudice

Frankenstein

AMERICAN HISTORY

BJU American History (11th grade text)

Benjamin Franklin: The Autobiography

Of Plymouth Plantation

The Social Contract

The Federalist Papers

The Anti-Federalist Papers

Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings

AMERICAN LIT

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Little Women

Old Man and the Sea

Death of a Salesman

Uncle Tom's Cabin

The Great Gatsby

Edgar Allan Poe's stories

The Scarlet Letter

THEOLOGY/PHILOSOPHY

The Autobiography of Charles G. Finney

The Killer Angels

Christianity and Liberalism

Postmodern Times

How Should We Then Live?

Foxe's Book of Martyrs

The Westminster Confession of Faith

Mere Christianity

WORLD HISTORY

Reflections on the Revolution in France

The Communist Manifesto

Mein Kampf

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Okay Lori D. you are so awesome and better at this than me.   ;) There were a few he has already read so I am crossing them off on your post of potentials.  Thank you so much for doing this!  Easier to view.   :)  Thanks for your thoughts as always and yes, looking for just American History/Lit.  Any ideas for a spine for history?

IDEAS FAVORITES TO CONSIDER...THANKS TO LORI  :D

AMERICAN HISTORY

Common Sense

Democracy in America

Up From Slavery

Self Reliance and Civil Disobedience -- essays

AMERICAN LIT

Red Badge of Courage

Last of the Mohicans

Moby Dick

Grapes of Wrath

novels:

- Moby Dick (very long novel) -OR- Billy Budd (longish novella) -OR- Bartleby the Scrivener (short story) (Melville)

- My Antonia

- The Red Badge of Courage (Crane) -- or a short story by Crane

- Grapes of Wrath (novel) -OR- The Pearl (novella) (Steinbeck)

- Their Eyes Were Watching God (Hurston)

- The Chosen (Potok)

- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)

- The Joy Luck Club (Tan)

plays -- consider watching, rather than reading, as that is how plays were intended to be experienced:

- The Crucible (Miller)

- Our Town (Wilder)

- A Raisin in the Sun (Hansberry)

short stories:

- Rip Van Winkle, or, Legend of Sleep Hollow (Irving)

- Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (Bierce)

- Gift of the Magi -OR- other story by O. Henry

- The Lady or the Tiger (Stockton)

- Story of An Hour (Chopin)

- The Most Dangerous Game (Connell)

- Jury of Her Peers (

- Thank You, Ma'am (Hughes)

- The Catbird Seat; The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Thurber)

- There Will Come Soft Rains; The Veldt (Bradbury)

- The Lottery (Jackson)

- Revelation -OR- Everything That Rises Must Converge -OR- A Good Man is Hard to Find (O'Connor)

poetry by:

Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Ralph Waldo Emerson, William Carlos Williams, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes ...

WORLD LIT

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich * JUST WANTS TO READ THIS ONE THIS YEAR

Great now which would be your top 5 for history and lit?  THANKS!!

Edited by Homeschoolmom3

Any ideas for a spine for history?

Since you mentioned up-thread that the plan is to take the CLEPs (I assume both part 1 and part 2?), and since DS has a heavy load so you want to streamline your efforts, I'd suggest making it easy on yourselves and "teach to the test" ;)

Use the CLEP examination guide, test prep study guides, and and pick 1-2 textbooks in the CLEP list of resources to focus on (or skim through several of the texts recommended by CLEP), and don't worry about making this a traditional sort of course.

CLEP website:

History of the US part 1 exam -- exam detailsstudy resources; practice questions

History of the US part 2 exam -- exam details; study resources; practice questions

College Board: 3-page list of topics on the exam, plus list of texts the test is drawn from, plus sample questions:

History of the US part 1

History of the US part 2

Free CLEP Prep website -- info is from the experience of those who have taken the specific test (so they guide you towards how to focus your study energies most effectively); lists topics covered and free prep resources, plus their own study resource for a fee

History of the US part 1 exam

History of the US part 2 exam

CLEP recommends HippoCampus as a study/text resource, so you might watch these:

US History before 1877

US History after 1877

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

For American History, maybe add something that touches on the development of federal regulatory functions/agencies or the labor movement: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, one of the many excellent books on the Triangle Shirtwaist factory, or even a book about the migrant farmworker movement. 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Since you mentioned up-thread that the plan is to take the CLEPs (I assume both part 1 and part 2?), and since DS has a heavy load so you want to streamline your efforts, I'd suggest making it easy on yourselves and "teach to the test" ;)

Use the CLEP examination guide, test prep study guides, and and pick 1-2 textbooks in the CLEP list of resources to focus on (or skim through several of the texts recommended by CLEP), and don't worry about making this a traditional sort of course.

CLEP website:

History of the US part 1 exam -- exam detailsstudy resources; practice questions

History of the US part 2 exam -- exam details; study resources; practice questions

College Board: 3-page list of topics on the exam, plus list of texts the test is drawn from, plus sample questions:

History of the US part 1

History of the US part 2

Free CLEP Prep website -- info is from the experience of those who have taken the specific test (so they guide you towards how to focus your study energies most effectively); lists topics covered and free prep resources, plus their own study resource for a fee

History of the US part 1 exam

History of the US part 2 exam

CLEP recommends HippoCampus as a study/text resource, so you might watch these:

US History before 1877

US History after 1877

Thanks so much for the links!  Just might do that, but we love to read so wanted to have some to go along with it and am just trying to narrow down our choices.  :-P  

We are doing American History and American Literature this year.

Our spine for history is America: A Narrative History by Tindall

Ds will also be reading additional books to get an overview of what else happened in the world during this time as well as watch some of the American Experience documentaries.

Our spine for literature is Classics of American Literature be The Teaching Company.

Many of the books you have on your list (or Lori's) are part of Classics of American Literature. Btw, I found it used for $ 35.00 on amazon. One I did not see on your list is Ben Franklin's Autobiography which we are currently reading and it turns out to have quite a bit of meat for discussion. I am starting to really like it. :-)

Hope this helps.