10 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 prajiwaji

prajiwaji

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

I'm looking for a Spanish 1 curriculum for a younger sibling. We need books that are more suited towards self-teaching, and we'd like DVDs/CDs to help with pronunciation. We're also under a budget (We were going to get the ACE PACE Spanish 1 Set but the DVDs alone cost almost $300). Under $200 dollars is ideal, but if there is a very good curriculum, we'd consider going higher. What would you recommend as a good curriculum? Thank you so much! 

#2 Renai

Renai

Icon Queen and Head Ninja Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10338 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:11 AM

Have you looked at Destinos? It's free. It is an old production (streaming video) that was originally for college students (in fact, I used it in college). You can get a used text from Amazon for about $30 (2nd edition of alternative edition, I believe), and either the 1st or 2nd edition workbook (very little difference with the workbook). Part I is episodes 1-26 and is considered a one year high school credit, or a one semester college credit. You can find it here, and it has online quizzes, practice, and grammar as well: http://www.learner.o...s/series75.html.

#3 prajiwaji

prajiwaji

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

Have you looked at Destinos? It's free. It is an old production (streaming video) that was originally for college students (in fact, I used it in college). You can get a used text from Amazon for about $30 (2nd edition of alternative edition, I believe), and either the 1st or 2nd edition workbook (very little difference with the workbook). Part I is episodes 1-26 and is considered a one year high school credit, or a one semester college credit. You can find it here, and it has online quizzes, practice, and grammar as well: http://www.learner.o...s/series75.html.

I looked over it a little and it looks good! We want to compare a few, so I'm definitely adding it to the list. Thank you!

• Renai likes this

#4 RenaInTexas

RenaInTexas

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

The homeschooling package from Houghton looks promising. I found it a while ago, but my kids are too young. For $92, you get an online component, teachers edition with assessments & audio.

#5 Julie Smith

Julie Smith

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9262 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:55 PM

What age?

#6 prajiwaji

prajiwaji

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

What age?

High school freshman

#7 Julie Smith

Julie Smith

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9262 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

High school freshman

Have you looked at Duolingo? It is free, and I have had good success with it.

#8 prajiwaji

prajiwaji

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

Have you looked at Duolingo? It is free, and I have had good success with it.

I have, and it's amazing! The only problem is, I talked to a lady who manages our homeschool umbrella, and they can't count it as high school credit. We will definitely use it as a supplement though

#9 tcb

tcb

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1034 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Breaking the Barrier Spanish is good. There isn't a DVD but there is a CD with listening/responding practice. You can also get the ibook for really cheap ?$10, and that has lots of interactive stuff.

• Angie in VA likes this

#10 Elizabeth 2

Elizabeth 2

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

Can Mango count as a credit?  It's often available through your local library system for free.

#11 prajiwaji

prajiwaji

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

Looking into these! Thanks everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spanish, curriculum