Menu

Exercise Thread: September

Slache

September is going to be a difficult month to fit in any exercise.  :crying:  It is just one season, and I will try to do what I can if opportunity presents.

Someone here shared a link for plank variations a few months ago. It doesn't take much time to do a few every night at bedtime. Might try that if I can find it again.

• Like 3

Today and yesterday are minimal because we are at Great Wolf Lodge, though I may get in a run tonight when we get home. Otherwise tomorrow will be a HIIT class, and I'm aiming for six workouts a week and 8k steps a day. I almost never struggle with my workouts but often struggle with my steps.

• Like 2

May I join?

I started my post-baby rehab video this week, and today makes 3 in a row.

Walking goals aren't getting hit as consistently, though. Something to work on. I did about a half mile on Wednesday, not counting what seems like miles walked daily around my rambling old house! But I'm only counting outside walking, and I'm having trouble getting out there to do it!

Baby's eight weeks old today. I'm happy to have the strength (mental and physical) to do what I do.

Baby steps still count. Baby steps still count...

That's awesome!   

Barre3 It seems to be a happy mix of barre, yoga, and pilates that keeps me interested and quite challenged. 

Also, the head instructor invites you to spread it out in 10 minute segments throughout your day if need be. And I need that permission.

Emily

I got that from the library once. I thought "This looks easy." :svengo:   

September is going to be a difficult month to fit in any exercise.  :crying:  It is just one season, and I will try to do what I can if opportunity presents.

Someone here shared a link for plank variations a few months ago. It doesn't take much time to do a few every night at bedtime. Might try that if I can find it again.

Check out the 7 minute workout app for variation.
  • Like 2

About a month ago I started swimming laps in the morning.   Just 30 minutes of moderate breast stroke, so I don't aggravate my shoulder.  It makes me feel great !   I love starting my day in the water.   I'm back home before they are even awake. 

Edited by Laundrycrisis2
  • Like 3

I did forty minutes of Barre3 on 9/1 and 9/2 and slept better both nights than I've slept in quite a while (oh yeah, since I exercised last).

My goal is 45 min 5x per week: the amount studies have shown to combat depression. That's also enough to help me sleep through the night.

Emily

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all :D

Dd's university class schedule has messed with my routine :( Last year I was able to drop her on campus for her DE language class and hit the gym for training sessions or cardio. Class times this year do not work for training sessions :(

I've been getting up early to hit the gym with dh. It's fine as long as he doesn't talk to me :lol:

I've been doing three days a week of heavy weights plus HIIT, two days of body weight in between (one is a weekly class), and a long hike with dh on a weekend day. I'm loosely following training plans in NROL Supercharged; next Tuesday I'm attending a seminar on writing your own programs at the gym.

My latest PR: 40 lb squat/overhead press combinations :party: I had been stuck at 30 lb for two months!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I started my preseason training last week, it's going well so far.

I've moved on from floor yoga and stretches nearly daily through early Sept to a goal of daily core and abs of one kind or another, even if just quick before bed. Goal almost daily of a few squats, lunges, leg strengthening yoga, or weightlifting for legs. It's been one week of abs and legs and I'm doing great so far haha...

On that not I'm gonna go get that done before I conveniently "forget," thanks for reminding me!

• Like 3

We had a bout of sickness a couple weeks ago, but we got through it and I've been back at it.  I alternate running, HIIT, spin, strength with weights, and sometimes body pump, and yoga.  I try to keep it really varied, but sometimes it's harder than others, we only have one car, so I have to work out at home on days dh takes it, though I do have a nice setup in our basement.

• Like 2

I've been exercising for an hour every day.  Three days of weight-lifting and four days of cardio per week.  

I had been doing a spin class for one of those days of cardio, but when my daughter started classes for this fall semester, the timing conflicted.  So now I'm doing run/walk intervals outdoors two days a week (which I really love, but I have to be careful about because I have weak ankles) and the AMT machine (kind of like an elliptical) at the gym two days a week (which is very boring and hard to push myself through, but audiobooks help!).

I'm not really doing a formal program or anything for weights.  I just try to hit all the major muscle groups.  I usually do these:

Pick two of these three:  goblet squats, hex-bar deadlifts, tall box step-ups with weights

Chin-ups

Dips

Overhead Press

Bench Press

Planks (and variations like mountain climbers)

I'm open to suggestions if anyone sees a flaw in my plan that needs to be addressed!  If I have time and I'm feeling well, I sometimes add in tricep cable-pulls, bicep curls, glute bridge.

I'm still not doing much regarding foam rolling or stretching.  I tried a hatha yoga class, but I wasn't crazy about it, and it's at a very inconvenient time.  I need to start a foam rolling routine here at home every evening after dinner.  

• Like 2

Jumping in again.

I've been doing HIIT cardio three times a week (only 15 minutes) and weight lifting three times a week. I'm really seeing improvements in strength. I neglected strength training in favor of running for a long time, even though I knew that wasn't the best choice. I just love running so much. I suppose that's a positive of being a single parent for several months this summer while DH started his new job...I couldn't get outside to run, so I lifted.

I've found a power walking friend here. It's not running, but as slowly as I run, it's pretty close, and I need that social interaction desperately (just moved across the country). I'm really enjoying walking with her 3-4 times a week, and the break from my family is so good for my mental health.

My goal this weekend is to walk at least 25,000 steps and do a strength and a HIIT workout. My old friends and I have been using the Fitbit platform a lot to challenge ourselves to move on the days we feel lazy or off. I'm in a Goal Day challenge today, which will keep me moving.

• Like 3

I'm bored so I'm starting Insanity tomorrow. Any updates?

I did day 1. I didn't finish and then threw up in the shower. I forgot how hard it is!

I went to my first Cross Fit class yesterday!  I find I need a group to exercise with.  I tried doing videos at home, but I need that group dynamic to push myself.

Dh, on the other hand, has been doing P90X for 2-3 years in our basement and he loves it!

P90X! :001_wub:

I've been exercising for an hour every day.  Three days of weight-lifting and four days of cardio per week.  

I had been doing a spin class for one of those days of cardio, but when my daughter started classes for this fall semester, the timing conflicted.  So now I'm doing run/walk intervals outdoors two days a week (which I really love, but I have to be careful about because I have weak ankles) and the AMT machine (kind of like an elliptical) at the gym two days a week (which is very boring and hard to push myself through, but audiobooks help!).

I'm not really doing a formal program or anything for weights.  I just try to hit all the major muscle groups.  I usually do these:

Pick two of these three:  goblet squats, hex-bar deadlifts, tall box step-ups with weights

Chin-ups

Dips

Overhead Press

Bench Press

Planks (and variations like mountain climbers)

I'm open to suggestions if anyone sees a flaw in my plan that needs to be addressed!  If I have time and I'm feeling well, I sometimes add in tricep cable-pulls, bicep curls, glute bridge.

I'm still not doing much regarding foam rolling or stretching.  I tried a hatha yoga class, but I wasn't crazy about it, and it's at a very inconvenient time.  I need to start a foam rolling routine here at home every evening after dinner.

Take a rest day! If you burn out it will take months to recover. Ask me how I know!
  • Like 2

Take a rest day! If you burn out it will take months to recover. Ask me how I know!

Yes, I normally let my migraines determine when I take a rest day.  I typically get one or two a week.  Lately, they've been striking later in the day, after I've already worked out.  I'm sure that trend won't continue!

• Like 1

I've done well for the last two weeks with 5 days of 40+ minutes of exercise during each week! Yay! I have done mostly barre3, some t-tapp, and one day of youtube Zumba when the thought of doing another barre3 workout made me want to just go to sleep. 

I seem to be sleeping better, but I have also drastically reduced my caffeine intake, replacing 90% of my coffee with green tea.  The next things I may attack WRT stress/anxiety are screen time and sugar.

Emily

• Like 4

*snip*.

I'm still not doing much regarding foam rolling or stretching. I tried a hatha yoga class, but I wasn't crazy about it, and it's at a very inconvenient time. I need to start a foam rolling routine here at home every evening after dinner.

I could google it but... That would deprive you of the pleasure of discussing your success :)

What is the foam roller thing about/for?

• Like 1

I could google it but... That would deprive you of the pleasure of discussing your success :)

What is the foam roller thing about/for?

:001_smile:  It's basically just a way of massaging your muscles to relax them, keep them supple and flexible.  When you find tender, sore, tight areas ("trigger points") you can focus more gentle pressure there to release them.  It's another option that you can use in addition to or instead of stretching.  I'm not big on stretching (my body does not seem to appreciate it - it makes me cramp up, which is kind of the opposite of the whole idea!) so I keep saying that I'm going to start foam rolling instead, and then never getting around to it.

Here is an article with some examples of how to do it:

http://www.oxygenmag.com/article/8-foam-roller-exercises-8595

And here are some tips regarding what not to do:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/foam-rolling-mistakes_n_4980975.html  

And not surprisingly, there are tons of YouTube videos with foam rolling routines too.  So I think that's what I'll do to get started. 

Thanks - talking about it increased my motivation!   :D

• Like 2

I've done well for the last two weeks with 5 days of 40+ minutes of exercise during each week! Yay! I have done mostly barre3, some t-tapp, and one day of youtube Zumba when the thought of doing another barre3 workout made me want to just go to sleep.

I seem to be sleeping better, but I have also drastically reduced my caffeine intake, replacing 90% of my coffee with green tea. The next things I may attack WRT stress/anxiety are screen time and sugar.

Emily

Nice!

It was 8pm and I needed 4500 more steps in order to meet my goal in a Fitbit challenge. I put on my shoes to take a walk outside (loving living in a safe neighborhood again!!) and ended up running 3 miles instead!

I haven't run in nearly two months for a number of reasons. It was so exciting (and completely unexpected) to see that my power walking, HIIT, and weights were enough to keep my fitness level up for running.

• Like 3

Saw this pop up so I thought I'd pop in :) 

I just started Yoga Teacher Training this past weekend so it was lots and lots of Yoga. 

My schedule this week is yoga class Mon, Tues, Wed, & Thurs; Aerial Yoga- Thurs. Yoga and Meditation practice at home daily, varying amounts. Walks at home, generally pretty low key.

:001_smile:  It's basically just a way of massaging your muscles to relax them, keep them supple and flexible.  When you find tender, sore, tight areas ("trigger points") you can focus more gentle pressure there to release them.  It's another option that you can use in addition to or instead of stretching.  I'm not big on stretching (my body does not seem to appreciate it - it makes me cramp up, which is kind of the opposite of the whole idea!) so I keep saying that I'm going to start foam rolling instead, and then never getting around to it.

Here is an article with some examples of how to do it:

http://www.oxygenmag.com/article/8-foam-roller-exercises-8595

And here are some tips regarding what not to do:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/foam-rolling-mistakes_n_4980975.html  

And not surprisingly, there are tons of YouTube videos with foam rolling routines too.  So I think that's what I'll do to get started. 

Thanks - talking about it increased my motivation!   :D

Thank you for that article, we just did foam rolling after Yoga the other day and I was thinking I would finally buy one for the house, it would be good for both dh and I. 

• Like 3

I'm 75% through my t-tapp routine tonight, which I don't really enjoy doing (because I've done it 200+ times) but which makes my body really happy afterwards. About 25 minutes in it starts to feel good.

ETA: I finished it! And I've donne 3 barre3 workouts this week. But I just seem to feel better when I do t-tapp a bit, too.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 2