Menu

SWB's History of the Ancient World

After spending many hours searching my shelves and boxes for HO's Level 2 Ancients, DS (8th Grade) took one look at it and pronounced it too easy. He then picked up the History of the Ancient World and the Study Guide, looked through it, and said he would rather do that. I am back to the drawing board now. Anyone have any experience and advice as I start crafting a syllabus? I suspect I'll pick and choose among the material in the Study Guide.

This is the same kid who, when he was seven and we'd finished SOTW Ancients, said he was going to miss the Holy Roman Empire.

I wouldn't design a full syllabus since there's already a full study guide. (We used it 2 years ago)

Eta- I can't remember if there were additional books suggested to read in the study guide, but if there are, I'd use some of those too, or find others on our own. Hoping you'll get good suggestions here if there aren't in the study guide.

I'd have him start with that, add a Great Course or two from the right period, if he's never watched those, & not micro plan it out... But I'm like that ;)

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 3

We are finishing up week 4 of HoAW here.  He's reading, doing the study guide, and we're discussing and picking up the occasional bit from Nova or Netflix.  He's doing ancient lit as well for another credit, and I'm not worried about lining the two up.  He reads a chapter a day Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Thursday is his catch up and prep day. Any tidbits that need to be finished (map work, revised short answers, whatever) happen on Thursday. He emails his assignments to me, I go over them that night. On Friday, we have an hour to discuss, go over his work together, and we spend a bit of time in the afternoon watching something awesome and at least semi-related with popcorn to celebrate the end of the schoolweek.  Sometimes we do a project for SOTW ancients with his younger siblings instead of movie day....who doesn't want to try their hand (again) at cuneiform or mummifying a chicken?

3 chapters a week = through the book in a school year for us.

• Like 3

I wouldn't design a full syllabus since there's already a full study guide. (We used it 2 years ago)

Eta- I can't remember if there were additional books suggested to read in the study guide, but if there are, I'd use some of those too, or find others on our own. Hoping you'll get good suggestions here if there aren't in the study guide.

I'd have him start with that, add a Great Course or two from the right period, if he's never watched those, & not micro plan it out... But I'm like that ;)

This is where I confess to having written a syllabus for his first grade geography.  :blushing:  I'll look in the Study Guide for suggested books and I can also use the suggested books from the History Odyssey material that will go unused...

We are finishing up week 4 of HoAW here.  He's reading, doing the study guide, and we're discussing and picking up the occasional bit from Nova or Netflix.  He's doing ancient lit as well for another credit, and I'm not worried about lining the two up.  He reads a chapter a day Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Thursday is his catch up and prep day. Any tidbits that need to be finished (map work, revised short answers, whatever) happen on Thursday. He emails his assignments to me, I go over them that night. On Friday, we have an hour to discuss, go over his work together, and we spend a bit of time in the afternoon watching something awesome and at least semi-related with popcorn to celebrate the end of the schoolweek.  Sometimes we do a project for SOTW ancients with his younger siblings instead of movie day....who doesn't want to try their hand (again) at cuneiform or mummifying a chicken?

3 chapters a week = through the book in a school year for us.

Very helpful, thanks. I've got the first 3 weeks scoped out now and the only adjustments I'm making is that, occasionally, he'll discuss Section III with me instead of writing. 

This is where I confess to having written a syllabus for his first grade geography.  :blushing:  I'll look in the Study Guide for suggested books and I can also use the suggested books from the History Odyssey material that will go unused...

Very helpful, thanks. I've got the first 3 weeks scoped out now and the only adjustments I'm making is that, occasionally, he'll discuss Section III with me instead of writing. 

If you ever have an unfulfilled need to crank out syallabi you just let me know. :d I so wish I loved to do them. 

We are just wrapping up week 5 with it and the WTM's and WEM's Great Book study. We are just doing it as in WTM, not using the study guide. So I figured out she needs to do 4 chapters a week to finish it by the time I want her to. So she has two periods a week for reading it and taking notes. There are four questions to answer for each chapter in WTM. She answers those on paper. That's it so far with HOAW. We file in the WTM Great Books notebook as laid out.

Then she does WTM work with her lit studies to go along. So she researches from the Timetables of History book and writes a summary on that to go with her lit book and reads from a History Encyclopedia. ( of course there are notes, discussions, and summaries of the lit to go along with that, separate from history,) But that is the main work for WTM history using it. We are finding it pretty easy to implement without the study guide, though I did just request it from the library to see what else it offers as far as discussion of the history.  The history work with the lit on top of the  readings and notes from HOAW is adequate I think, though we are reading some additional non fiction and some related fiction lit aloud as a group because we always do. I will probably do the history paper in the spring as suggested in WTM for a longer paper, and maybe the occasional outline for something different.

• Like 3