Menu

So You Really Want to Learn English

Janeway

Anyone have experience with this? I love the looks of and the idea of Galore Park Press. But I wonder if anyone has experience with this. Also, what level would a 12 yr old need? The first one looks good, but I don't know. Where would I order this from? What in all would I order? Or is it not all that it seems?

• Like 1

We used all the Galore Park books for English, starting with Junior English I believe. They provide samples so you can decide which ones match your child's level. I loved them, to the point, excellent reading selection. They may look "pared down" for eyes used to American language arts but we loved them.

I order from book depository.

Edited because I had the sequence wrong

Edited by madteaparty

We loved it.  Pros: easy to use, quality literature passages, integrated, lots of writing and speaking prompts, ideas for further reading.  Cons (for some): lightweight grammar (by the standards of many on this board); no step-by-step writing instruction.  It worked really well for my sons, both of whom picked up most of their grammar by reading great literature; I was confident teaching the structures of writing myself.

A 12yo would be using book 3 of SY English.  However, the books run a bit ahead of the equivalent grade level in the UK, as they are mostly used by selective private schools.  The levels go:

Junior 1: 7-8

Junior 2: 8-9

Junior 3: 9-10

SY 1: 10-11

SY 2: 11-12

SY 3: 12-13

Year 9: 13-14

I would order the text book and the answer book - the answer book gives you an idea of the level of work you should be expecting.  You can get it with free shipping from bookdepository.co.uk, or from an agent in the US: horriblebooks.com

ETA: the books now have 'year' numbers on the front.  Book 1 is for year 6 (equivalent of US 5th grade), Book 2 is for year 7 (US 6th grade) and Book 3 is for year 8 (US 7th grade).

Edited by Laura Corin